The Hank Bullough era returns to Buffalo

Back in 85', the Bills started out 0-6 under Hank Bullough and finished the season at 2-14. Looking at the schedule, the only teams that the Bills might have a chance against are Detroit and Cleveland, so at best, the Bills could finish this season at 2-14. But it is very likely that the Bills could join the Lions as the only other team to be winless at 0-16.

How does our defense go from looking sub-par/decent in one season, to absolutely pitiful the next? I hope this is George Edwards' one and only season as Bills defensive coordinator. With Gailey, why does he always abandon the run, especially when he is having success at it?

I still can't believe that 25 years later, it's deja vu all over again. Are Gailey & Edwards actually Stephenson and Bullough?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in 85', the Bills started out 0-6 under Hank Bullough and finished the season at 2-14. Looking at the schedule, the only teams that the Bills might have a chance against are Detroit and Cleveland, so at best, the Bills could finish this season at 2-14. But it is very likely that the Bills could join the Lions as the only other team to be winless at 0-16.

How does our defense go from looking sub-par/decent in one season, to absolutely pitiful the next? I hope this is George Edwards' one and only season as Bills defensive coordinator. With Gailey, why does he always abandon the run, especially when he is having success at it?

I still can't believe that 25 years later, it's deja vu all over again. Are Gailey & Edwards actually Stephenson and Bullough?

Who was the owner 25 years ago? Who is the owner now. There is all you ever need to know

There's a lot of George Edwards bashing going on this evening, but I wonder how justified it really is.

He might totally suck, but how can we truly gauge his skill as a defensive coordinator when he has the Keystone Cops to work with.

What defensive coordinator could make this group of journeymen-level players winners? There is not a single star on the defense. Not a one. And don't think Byrd is a star. He had a fluke season in which he played centerfield and racked up some stats.

Name one player on the current defense that would have started for the Bills during their glory days. How many would start for today's Patriots or the Saints?

We were snake bitten by injuries taking out first stringers the last several years, but our current level of starters is below the "replacements" we were fielding in those times.

Might turn out that George Edwards is the suckiest DC ever, but when converted DE Chris Kelsey is all we got to cover tight ends, I don't think we can categorically blame him just yet.

If there's any finger pointing going on, it should be directed at all the so-called personnel staff and the bean counters at One Bills Drive who have been making absolutely horrible personnel decisions for 10+ years. I think a monkey with a deck or tarot cards could do better. I don't mean this as a personal attack on the players, because I'm sure they're fine human beings, and give their all, and want to win as badly as we do, but for the most part, they're simply not superbowl-caliber players.

Edited by DML2005

There's a lot of George Edwards bashing going on this evening, but I wonder how justified it really is.

He might totally suck, but how can we truly gauge his skill as a defensive coordinator when he has the Keystone Cops to work with.

What defensive coordinator could make this group of journeymen-level players winners? There is not a single star on the defense. Not a one. And don't think Byrd is a star. He had a fluke season in which he played centerfield and racked up some stats.

Name one player on the current defense that would have started for the Bills during their glory days. How many would start for today's Patriots or the Saints?

We were snake bitten by injuries taking out first stringers the last several years, but our current level of starters is below the "replacements" we were fielding in those times.

Might turn out that George Edwards is the suckiest DC ever, but when converted DE Chris Kelsey is all we got to cover tight ends, I don't think we can categorically blame him just yet.

If there's any finger pointing going on, it should be directed at all the so-called personnel staff and the bean counters at One Bills Drive who have been making absolutely horrible personnel decisions for 10+ years. I think a monkey with a deck or tarot cards could do better. I don't mean this as a personal attack on the players, because I'm sure they're fine human beings, and give their all, and want to win as badly as we do, but for the most part, they're simply not superbowl-caliber players.

He does actually suck, but the players are bad too. His problem is that he appears to have no creativity. Say what you will about Jauron/Fewell, but they at least had some decent defensive game plans over the years. They may have failed because of the overall talent, but there were games -- Dallas and "the creep", for example -- that were fun to watch. I don't know what the hell Edwards is doing. The defense is not only bad, it's crushingly boring.

Who decided to covert Chis Kelsay to a LB? Who decided to take a bad 4-3 team and turn it into an abysmal 3-4 team?

No doubt the personnel people suck, but so does George Edwards.

Who decided to covert Chis Kelsay to a LB? Who decided to take a bad 4-3 team and turn it into an abysmal 3-4 team?

The best fantasy football play this year is any tight end going up against the Bills. Our slow LBs have no ability to cover whatsoever... presumably because 1/2 of them are converted d-ends who are asked to cover instead of rush the passer (which most of these guys were never very good at in the fist place).

The best fantasy football play this year is any tight end going up against the Bills. Our slow LBs have no ability to cover whatsoever... presumably because 1/2 of them are converted d-ends who are asked to cover instead of rush the passer (which most of these guys were never very good at in the fist place).

Are LB's are all useless in coverage. Poz down by the goalline where he had to cover 5 yards (that is it) had absolutely no ability to stay with Simms-Walker on the short crossing pass. Same with Kelsay. Combine that with Byrd and Whitner NEVER converging to the post on any pass play and the deep middle is pathetically wide open. The 2nd TD to Lewis was as bad of team pass D as you will see. Noone was in position to make a play on the ball or the receiver. This is one of the worst defenses from a talent standpoint that the NFL has seen in at least 20 years.

which means we just got Andre Reed, Bruce Smith & Frank Reich this year, Jim Kelly, Kent Hull, Will Wolford & Steve Tasker to begin 2011, with Marv Levy coming in halfway thru next year, and Cornelius Bennett & Shane Conlon the year after that. there's something to look forward to....

Say what you will about Jauron/Fewell,

OK. I think Perry Fewell is a mighty fine coach, who in retrospect looks even better considering the performance he was able to achieve given the players he had.

The New York Giants thank the Buffalo Bills, again.

Who was the owner 25 years ago? Who is the owner now. There is all you ever need to know

:thumbdown:

No it's not - I need to know who Ralph Wilson sold the team to in 1988 before he bought it back in 2000???

1987 7 8 0 .467 4th in AFC East

1988 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1990 13 3 0 .813 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1991 13 3 0 .813 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1992 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1993 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1994 7 9 0 .438 4th in AFC East

1995 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1996 10 6 0 .625 2nd in AFC East (playoffs)

1997 6 10 0 .375 4th in AFC East

1998 10 6 0 .625 3rd in AFC East (playoffs)

1999 11 5 0 .687 2nd in AFC East (playoffs)

2000 8 8 0 .500 4th in AFC East

There was a 7-year playoff drought between the Chuck Knox & Marv Levy eras too, so it's not like this is unprecedented - and it took Marv 3 seasons to turn the team around.

You and anyone else that wants to rag on Ralph Wilson should also remember that he brought 2 AFL Championships to the City of Buffalo, along with 4 conference titles, 10 division championships, and 17 playoff appearances, and he's had ample opportunities to move the team and make more money elsewhere.

Edited by The Senator

The worse decision regarding Kelsay was to sign him to an extension. Who the hell made that call? Did you see him trying to cover the Jags TE's yesterday? THis guy is a F'n joke at LB. Yea the best LB's get burned sometimes, but Kelsay does multiple times week in and week out.

If we blitzed a corner or a safety from time to time (when we do actually send these guys we're successful almost every time)tight ends wouldn't be free to scamper 17 yards down field and find a cushion.

If we blitzed a corner or a safety from time to time, Poz could be aggressive and bump a receiver rather than playing him soft and conservatively. Then Poz (or whichever mis-matched LB we have guarding Sims-Walker, etc) wouldn't get twisted around and burned up the middle/down the sideline.

If we blitzed a corner or a safety from time to time, the quarterback might have to rush his throws, and we could actually come up with an interception or two.

We've given up 30 points in four consecutive games. THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED IN FRANCHISE HISTORY. WHAT'S THE HARM IN AT LEAST PLAYING AGGRESSIVELY.

1 INT, 3 FUM REC (one on special teams, one on a would-be turnover on downs), how much worse could it possibly be if our gutless DC dialed it up once in a while?

:thumbdown:

No it's not - I need to know who Ralph Wilson sold the team to in 1988 before he bought it back in 2000???

1987 7 8 0 .467 4th in AFC East

1988 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1990 13 3 0 .813 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1991 13 3 0 .813 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1992 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1993 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1994 7 9 0 .438 4th in AFC East

1995 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC East (playoffs)

1996 10 6 0 .625 2nd in AFC East (playoffs)

1997 6 10 0 .375 4th in AFC East

1998 10 6 0 .625 3rd in AFC East (playoffs)

1999 11 5 0 .687 2nd in AFC East (playoffs)

2000 8 8 0 .500 4th in AFC East

There was a 7-year playoff drought between the Chuck Knox & Marv Levy eras too, so it's not like this is unprecedented - and it took Marv 3 seasons to turn the team around.

You and anyone else that wants to rag on Ralph Wilson should also remember that he brought 2 AFL Championships to the City of Buffalo, along with 4 conference titles, 10 division championships, and 17 playoff appearances, and he's had ample opportunities to move the team and make more money elsewhere.

And who was the owner of the Bills from 1967-1986? That's TWENTY !@#$ING YEARS on top of the ELEVEN YEARS AND COUNTING that we have right now. You !@#$ing Ralph Wilson apologists disgust me. The bottom line is that he is one of the worst owners in pro sports history, and he doesn't give a !@#$ that the team likely moves to LA/Toronto after his death. Ralph Wilson is Al Davis without the Super Bowl rings.

which means we just got Andre Reed, Bruce Smith & Frank Reich this year, Jim Kelly, Kent Hull, Will Wolford & Steve Tasker to begin 2011, with Marv Levy coming in halfway thru next year, and Cornelius Bennett & Shane Conlon the year after that. there's something to look forward to....

Except we don't have Bill Polian picking players. We have Modrak the magnificent!

And who was the owner of the Bills from 1967-1986? That's TWENTY !@#$ING YEARS on top of the ELEVEN YEARS AND COUNTING that we have right now. You !@#$ing Ralph Wilson apologists disgust me. The bottom line is that he is one of the worst owners in pro sports history, and he doesn't give a !@#$ that the team likely moves to LA/Toronto after his death. Ralph Wilson is Al Davis without the Super Bowl rings.

You know what disgusts me? Stupidity. Morons that spout their ignorance all over the page, when it would be so easy - and take no more than a few seconds - to look up a few simple facts. Namely, you.

1973 9-5-0, Finished 2nd in AFC East Division (OJ's big year, missed wild card spot by one game to 10-4 Cincinnati Bengals)

1974 9-5-0, Finished 2nd in AFC East Division (playoffs)

1980 11-5-0, Finished 1st in AFC East Division (playoffs)

1981 10-6-0, Finished 3rd in AFC East Division (playoffs)

Now you could have easily learned that on your own, before making a total ass of yourself. You could have also just done a simple math operation - based on what I posted - and asked yourself, "Gee, when were the other 8 playoff appearances?"

(I'll leave it to you to figure out the remaining 4 playoff appearances - think you can handle it?)

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.'

Idiot.

Edited by The Senator