Hello from Ivor Wynne

If you are old enough to remember going to War Memorial Stadium you ought to visit Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton. Felt like I was in 1969 walking down Best St to a game. It was a trip. Ti-cats roll ok ver Edmonton 35-11.

Day one of the triple-header weekend over. Sabres tomorrow.

PTR

Can you imagine if way back when RW was holding Erie county ransom (with the "I am going to move the Bills"), if he would have agreed to fixing up War Memorial and we could have one of those cool old retro stadiums now, that could be mixed use and right downtown. The neighborhood would have profited and now we would be talking about our storied stadium just like the Pack does. I hope The Ralph is refurbished and used for a long time like Arrowhead, even with a new owner we shouldn't make more mistakes like that. Personally, I believe they could have a sliding roof/dome on it, that could only be open for football games and winterclassics. A Bills museum next to it, maybe some other small attractions and we are good to stay.

Can you imagine if way back when RW was holding Erie county ransom (with the "I am going to move the Bills"), if he would have agreed to fixing up War Memorial and we could have one of those cool old retro stadiums now, that could be mixed use and right downtown. The neighborhood would have profited and now we would be talking about our storied stadium just like the Pack does. I hope The Ralph is refurbished and used for a long time like Arrowhead, even with a new owner we shouldn't make more mistakes like that. Personally, I believe they could have a sliding roof/dome on it, that could only be open for football games and winterclassics. A Bills museum next to it, maybe some other small attractions and we are good to stay.

i agree with everything you say except the dome part. but you are on the money, have felt that the ralph should be updated as necessary, but never replaced.

If you are old enough to remember going to War Memorial Stadium you ought to visit Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton. Felt like I was in 1969 walking down Best St to a game. It was a trip. Ti-cats roll ok ver Edmonton 35-11.

PTR

PTR: It's not "Ivor Wynne" stadium, it's "Never Win" stadium!

oops, that joke hits too close to home for a Bills fan...

I certainly hope part 3 doesn't include a trip to Orchard Park or you will ruin your weekend.

Well the Sabres took a dump today, but I was able to upgrade my seats to 103 row 3. A great view of all the Sabres turnovers and defensive lapses. Day two of my triple-header weekend in the books

Last time there was for Pink Floyd. Many moon ago! Probably looks the same.

I gotta think it does.

PTR: It's not "Ivor Wynne" stadium, it's "Never Win" stadium!

oops, that joke hits too close to home for a Bills fan...

Well they embarrassed Edmonton so they are 1-0 when I see them.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and my buddies have been twice this year. The atmosphere is great there, isn't it? If it were 45 min. closer we'd have season tickets.

It wasn't that far from the Peace Bridge, less than an hour. Parking was easier than I expected too. The border guards raise an eyebrow when an American says he's going to a CFL game though.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

PTR

Prome, even though I think you are hired by Russ Brandon as some kind of message board PR mouthpiece for the Bills (OK OK, cheapshot, sorry), how is the atmosphere at the Canadian games? Are they into the game? Do they stand up for noise when their teams are on defense? Are their crowds into the league as a whole? Knowledgable? Etc, etc, etc. I always wondered if their fans are passionate about their league, or kinda just there like Americans are kind at their minor league teams' games?

Just curious.

Prome, even though I think you are hired by Russ Brandon as some kind of message board PR mouthpiece for the Bills (OK OK, cheapshot, sorry), how is the atmosphere at the Canadian games? Are they into the game? Do they stand up for noise when their teams are on defense? Are their crowds into the league as a whole? Knowledgable? Etc, etc, etc. I always wondered if their fans are passionate about their league, or kinda just there like Americans are kind at their minor league teams' games?

Just curious.

Hard to say because this was my only live game. On a 10-point scale for crazy (with the 2008 Bills/Cowboys Monday Night game being a 10) I'd rate it a 7.

. More laid back crowd than a Bills game. The folks I sat near seemed knowledgeable. It's more wide open football, like watching two teams running the spread. Weird penalties like one called "No Yards". (A 5-yarder for not giving a punt receiver a 5 yd cushion.) But it looked like college ball to me. Everyone who found out me and my buddy were from the States said the same thing to us: "Whad'ya think? Pretty different, eh?"

But what struck me also was how much Hamilton is Buffalo's twin. If I dropped you off in East Hamilton you'd swear you were on Buffalo's East Side or First Ward.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Hard to say because this was my only live game. On a 10-point scale for crazy (with the 2008 Bills/Cowboys Monday Night game being a 10) I'd rate it a 7.

. More laid back crowd than a Bills game. The folks I sat near seemed knowledgeable. It's more wide open football, like watching two teams running the spread. Weird penalties like one called "No Yards". (A 5-yarder for not giving a punt receiver a 5 yd cushion.) But it looked like college ball to me. Everyone who found out me and my buddy were from the States said the same thing to us: "Whad'ya think? Pretty different, eh?"

But what struck me also was how much Hamilton is Buffalo's twin. If I dropped you off in East Hamilton you'd swear you were on Buffalo's East Side or First Ward.

PTR

I always wondered. It seems like the western teams are nuts for the CFL, and the eastern teams aren't as much. I always thought it would be cool if somehow the NFL would expand to a lot of the CFL cities. I also think the NHL belongs in Winnepeg, Quebec, etc. But I've always had a slight interest in the CFL. I just wondered what kind of passion their own fans had towards the league.