Draft Wants for 2011

1)Ryan Mallett - QB - Arkansas

6'7 with a rocket arm. 30TD's in 2009. a better Joe Flacco.

2)Kyle Rudolph - TE - Notre Dame

6'6 260 TE that can block and be a receving threat.

3)Casey Matthews - ILB - Oregon

6'2 240. With good spead 4'7 40 and has decent sideline to sideline mobility

4)Adrian Taylor - DE - Oklahoma

6'4 290. Only issue is he broke his leg during a scrimmage.

4)Phil Taylor - NT - Baylor

6-5 355. A big body that is hard to move. Similar to Terrence Cody. Needs to have his weight moitored.

5) Christian Ballard - DE - Iowa

Perfect fit for a 3-4 DE. 6'5 285. Cant believe i am saying this but has a decent first step.

6)Kenny Rowe -OLB - Oregon

Had 11 sacks last year. 6'3 230. needs to put on about 10 pounds and still maintain his speed to be effective in the pros.

(I did not draft an OT becasue i only see 1 or 2 worth taking but we need a QB in RD 1)

Have at it folks. . .

Edited by CountDorkula

Two comments,

is your signature line your draft? If so it doesn't quite line up to your post.

Secondly, IMO it's SO hard to do mock drafts early since in the draft you're really picking people and your belief in their talents. Of which we have so precious little information on. So the best many of us can do is to look at positions.

Looking at it from that eye, We're so desperately in need of tackles (RT for certain and quite possibly LT, not to mention swing tackle) that I think we have to take a stab at one or two later in the draft at a minimum. Also, we have maybe two competent LB on our team. Possibly one or two of our 6th round small school guys will pan out but it's uncertain as both are injured.

I don't rate TE position very high to draft and we've thrown a few of draft picks at the position in recent years, and we've got little to show for it. So I'd rather pick up an outside LB than a TE, and hope that Nelson is worth a hoot.

I think we can't go the draft without picking up any pass-rushers or blockers, our two screaming needs outside of the QB position. So while it's worth biting on the quarterback if he's the man, I don't think we can wait until the 6th round before drafting a pass-rush LB. TE and ILB can muddle through.

Two comments,

is your signature line your draft? If so it doesn't quite line up to your post.

Secondly, IMO it's SO hard to do mock drafts early since in the draft you're really picking people and your belief in their talents. Of which we have so precious little information on. So the best many of us can do is to look at positions.

Looking at it from that eye, We're so desperately in need of tackles (RT for certain and quite possibly LT, not to mention swing tackle) that I think we have to take a stab at one or two later in the draft at a minimum. Also, we have maybe two competent LB on our team. Possibly one or two of our 6th round small school guys will pan out but it's uncertain as both are injured.

I don't rate TE position very high to draft and we've thrown a few of draft picks at the position in recent years, and we've got little to show for it. So I'd rather pick up an outside LB than a TE, and hope that Nelson is worth a hoot.

My sig is basically all guys that are 1-3 RD talents. It would be a dream to get all of them. So i should probably change that to make it more realistic.

I agree its hard to do mock drafts, but i had to do something i was getting tired of rehasing he same topics over and over again, so over the past couple days i have been researching

There is only 1 tackle i really see wort taking and that is Joe Barksdale out of LSU. He will be gone before we pick in Rd 2.

Darius Morris is a project RT in the Pros but has played mostly Guard in college.

Kyle Rudolph is an absolute stud (I'd wager he has even more NFL success than the last two ND TEs Fasano and Carlson).

BUT, he is a not a very good blocker. He could be taught and he has the body to be physical enough, but it has never been his strong suit.

Having said that, I'd be happy to have him. He's tough and smart and he'll do very well in the pros I believe.

6-5 355. A big body that is hard to move. Similar to Terrence Cody. Needs to have his weight moitored.

Perfect fit for a 3-4 DE. 6'5 285. Cant believe i am saying this but has a decent first step.

Had 11 sacks last year. 6'3 230. needs to put on about 10 pounds and still maintain his speed to be effective in the pros.

(I did not draft an OT becasue i only see 1 or 2 worth taking but we need a QB in RD 1)

Have at it folks. . .

No arguments here. But while I was looking at your post I started thinking that we still have the same needs that we had last year. That's pathetic. Did we forget to take draft picks last April?

No arguments here. But while I was looking at your post I started thinking that we still have the same needs that we had last year. That's pathetic. Did we forget to take draft picks last April?

Spiller stands by himself, but as far as needs go, if Troup and Carrington pan out, our defense will be significantly improved. If they're quality players, we probably have a defensive line when you join them with Stroud, Williams, Johnson, and Edwards. The problem, of course, is that that's a HUGE if, considering neither has had significant playing time so far.

Have at it folks. . .

This team just added a FA DE (Dwan Edwards) and drafted a 2nd round NT (Troupe) and a 3rd round DE (Carrington). None of them have proven to be mistakes. I can't imagine the front office repudiating their own first off-season so quickly as to start looking for yet more DL's any time early in the next year.

They need ORT, OLB, ILB, TE, QB, and probably WR before considering adding yet 3 more DL (and discarding the ones they just added).

Edited by BobChalmers

This team just added a FA DE (Dwan Edwards) and drafted a 2nd round NT (Troupe) and a 3rd round DE (Carrington). None of them have proven to be mistakes. I can't imagine the front office repudiating their own first off-season so quickly as to start looking for yet more DL's any time early in the next year.

They need ORT, OLB, ILB, TE, QB, and probably WR before considering adding yet 3 more DL (and discarding the ones they just added).

Are other DE Marcus Stroud has not done anything and he is not getting any younger.

Kyle Williams, while he is one hell of a player, is not fit for the 3-4. He may be a high motor guy, adn i would love to have him on this team if we played 4-3. BUT we can probably get something really valuable for him by trading him to a 4-3 D team.

The D is atrocious. We need all the help we can get.

ADD: THere are no dominant Tackles in the Draft. From everything i have read and seen (Though not as much seen as read) There are 2 OTs that are Mid-late 1st Rd talent and will proabably be off the board before we pick again in RD 2

Edited by CountDorkula

Are other DE Marcus Stroud has not done anything and he is not getting any younger.

Kyle Williams, while he is one hell of a player, is not fit for the 3-4. He may be a high motor guy, adn i would love to have him on this team if we played 4-3. BUT we can probably get something really valuable for him by trading him to a 4-3 D team.

The D is atrocious. We need all the help we can get.

The results from the D are atrocious. The talent level of the D as a whole is not.

The DB's are very good. The DL is fine and has two high-pick rookies waiting for their chance.

The talent and play of the LB's are atrocious. Actually, that word doesn't cut it. This are the worst LB unit I've ever seen.

The LB's are so bad, in fact, I wouldn't mind them drafting THREE LB's. In a 3-4 the LB's are supposed to generate the pass-rush and ours don't. The LB's are supposed to be able to make a tackle in space, and ours can't - particularly when Andra Davis isn't on the field.

Worst case Kyle Williams could be a nice 3-4 DE, in which case, maybe they need a backup NT for Troupe.

Good catch. I agree that's too much emphesis on the DL when we've just added those three last offseason. We even have some existing reasonable players in Stroud, and Kyle Williams. I certainly wouldn't cry if we ended up drafting another DL, but three more seems like too many considering our numerous holes. Especially our weaknesses in OT and LB.

My personal feelings are that our shortcomings at LB are preventing us from being anything but a bottom end defense where we are now. I believe that we're last in the league in points per game at 31.2 and 27th in yards per game 382 (!). What's staggering to me is that this is the case even though we have a pretty good secondary. This is a STRONG indictment on our LB core which is supposed to good at both pass rush and run defense.

I won't evaluate which players but definitely first and foremost

1)QB

2)Pass rushing OLB

3)OT

4)another OLB

5)Pass rushing DE

6)OT

7)MLB

+2

I'll take that, but maybe put MLB ahead of 2nd OLB or DE.

Edited by dgrid

The results from the D are atrocious. The talent level of the D as a whole is not.

The DB's are very good. The DL is fine and has two high-pick rookies waiting for their chance.

The talent and play of the LB's are atrocious. Actually, that word doesn't cut it. This are the worst LB unit I've ever seen.

The LB's are so bad, in fact, I wouldn't mind them drafting THREE LB's. In a 3-4 the LB's are supposed to generate the pass-rush and ours don't. The LB's are supposed to be able to make a tackle in space, and ours can't - particularly when Andra Davis isn't on the field.

Worst case Kyle Williams could be a nice 3-4 DE, in which case, maybe they need a backup NT for Troupe.

Adrian Robinson - OLB - Temple

Bruce Miller, - OLB - Central Florida

Are 2 players both with 13 sacks late year that could be switched for 2nd rd if you dont want to go TE / D line in Rd 2-3

I like everything but the second round pick. I would rather take a right tackle there or a olb .

It will be interesting to see how these qb's grade out after they finsih the year and begin the draft process