The Truth About Chan

Everyone wants to believe that Chan is some offensive mastermind and a good coach. Let's look at his career:

Steelers OC

In 1996 and 1997 he was the Steelers OC. He has some success there, but Cowher was the head coach. He had Jerome Bettis in his prime and a great offensive line. This was a long time ago, but his time in Pittsburgh was considered a success.

Cowboys HC

He took over a team with Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmit Smith, Deion Sanders, etc. HE NEVER EVEN WON A PLAYOFF GAME. He did make the playoffs twice, but other coaches were able to get much, much more out of that roster. He was quickly fired after two disappointing seasons. His time as a head coach in Dallas can only be described as a complete and utter failure.

Georgia Tech HC

He won some games at Georgia Tech. However, he never defeated Tech's biggest rival, the University of Georgia, never won the ACC, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than 9 games, and never finished in the top 25. Eventually he was once again fired for his poor performance.

Chiefs OC

In 2008 he was the Chiefs OC and ran an offense that was among the worst in the league. In 2009, he was fired from the Chiefs for his poor coaching just before the start of the season. It was right at the same time that the Bills fired Turk Schoenert. Looks like the undefeated Chiefs are now better off without him. Another resounding failure.

---

So we can see that Chan was never any good as a head coach, and got lucky one time for a couple seasons FIFTEEN years ago in Pittsburgh, where he had an all time great head coach, and premier running back and offensive line to work with.

If he has such a great offensive mind, why is that he could never get back into the NFL after he was exposed as a sham in Dallas? Finally the lowly Chiefs gave him a chance, and he couldn't even cut it there.

The Bills just couldn't land a real coach. A good coach like Shanahan or Cowher would never dream of associating themselves with such a terrible front office and owner. It's sad but that's life.

The fact is he has always been and always will be a mediocre offensive coordinator, and a below average head coach.

Edited by NaPolian8693

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

saying he was a "sham" and a "failure" in dallas is stretching it a lot. Yeah, a lot of coaches got more out of those players than he did, but chan had them after their prime.

The truth is, Chan isn't a great coach. But he had a better record coming into buffalo than jauron did. And Cowher himself endores chan over and over. As an HC in the nfl, chan actually had a winning record. That doesn't reek of failure. It reeks of medicrocy at worst.

I really don't mind chan as an HC. I just wish he was able to attract better assistants.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

Everyone wants to believe that Chan is some offensive mastermind and a good coach. Let's look at his career:

Steelers OC

In 1996 and 1997 he was the Steelers OC. He has some success there, but Cowher was the head coach. He had Jerome Bettis in his prime and a great offensive line. This was a long time ago, but his time in Pittsburgh was considered a success.

Cowboys HC

He took over a team with Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmit Smith, Deion Sanders, etc. HE NEVER EVEN WON A PLAYOFF GAME. He did make the playoffs twice, but other coaches were able to get much, much more out of that roster. He was quickly fired after two disappointing seasons. His time as a head coach in Dallas can only be described as a complete and utter failure.

Georgia Tech HC

He won some games at Georgia Tech. However, he never defeated Tech's biggest rival, the University of Georgia, never won the ACC, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than 9 games, and never finished in the top 25. Eventually he was once again fired for his poor performance.

Chiefs OC

In 2008 he was the Chiefs OC and ran an offense that was among the worst in the league. In 2009, he was fired from the Chiefs for his poor coaching just before the start of the season. It was right at the same time that the Bills fired Turk Schoenert. Looks like the undefeated Chiefs are now better off without him. Another resounding failure.

---

So we can see that Chan was never any good as a head coach, and got lucky one time for a couple seasons FIFTEEN years ago in Pittsburgh, where he had an all time great head coach, and premier running back and offensive line to work with.

If he has such a great offensive mind, why is that he could never get back into the NFL after he was exposed as a sham in Dallas? Finally the lowly Chiefs gave him a chance, and he couldn't even cut it there.

The Bills just couldn't land a real coach. A good coach like Shanahan or Cowher would never dream of associating themselves with such a terrible front office and owner. It's sad but that's life.

The fact is he has always been and always will be a mediocre offensive coordinator, and a below average head coach.

Once again, someone is mistaking their own opinions for facts. You are entitled to your opinions, just like everyone else on this board, but please don't try to pass them off as facts. Chan Gailey is a well respected coach around the league and if you knew anything about college football, you would understand that Georgia Tech is always second fiddle to Georgia. If you can't see the creativity in the offense thus far and the ability to put points on the board, then you haven't been watching. The problem with this team is the defense. They were bad last year against the run and they are worse this year. My problem with the coaching staff is not Gailey, as I believe his offense has shown some definite improvement over last year. My problem is with Edwards. The DC seems to be in over his head and his defense has been terrible outside of the first week. Like I said, I respect your opinion, but please don't mistake your opinions for facts.

Once again, someone is mistaking their own opinions for facts. You are entitled to your opinions, just like everyone else on this board, but please don't try to pass them off as facts. Chan Gailey is a well respected coach around the league and if you knew anything about college football, you would understand that Georgia Tech is always second fiddle to Georgia. If you can't see the creativity in the offense thus far and the ability to put points on the board, then you haven't been watching. The problem with this team is the defense. They were bad last year against the run and they are worse this year. My problem with the coaching staff is not Gailey, as I believe his offense has shown some definite improvement over last year. My problem is with Edwards. The DC seems to be in over his head and his defense has been terrible outside of the first week. Like I said, I respect your opinion, but please don't mistake your opinions for facts.

I agree with almost everything you say. Let me preface this by saying that I like Chan, and I think that with this rebuild, he is still the right guy. That being said, while the DC is the problem right now, Edwards doesn't have the talent to stop the run, or get any pass rush. Also, at the end of the day, the buck has to stop with Chan, and he needs to take responsibility for Edwards' poor D.

I think that people are being way too reactionary. We are doing what teams need to do, you can't rebuild a team in as much disarray as we were by going 7-9 every year. Honestly, we have played a very tough schedule, two of the games we were in right until the end. We have the makings of a good young offensive line with Bell finally coming along, and the makings of a good NT that we drafted last year. I think there will be growth as we go along this season (we won't be good, but we will get better), and with a good draft next year, we will be competitive.

If Scott Pioli wanted to hire Gailey as head coach in Kansas City, Bill Cowher suggested to the Steelers' brass that his successor should be Chan Gailey, and Jerry Jones admits to regretting firing Gailey after only 2 years in Dallas doesn't that literally mean he is "well respected"? It doesn't mean he is a good coach, exactly, but those 3 examples alone prove it is a fact he is "well respected"--- "well respected" being subjective, anyway.

"Get a clue".

Edited by Punch

Once again, someone is mistaking their own opinions for facts. You are entitled to your opinions, just like everyone else on this board, but please don't try to pass them off as facts.

Chan's history in the league IS fact. It is a fact that he was fired in Dallas after two disappointing seasons. It is a fact that he failed at Georgia Tech. It is a fact that he was fired as Chiefs offensive coordinator.

Just because the facts make you burp up your Kool-Aid, it doesn't invalidate them.

Now for my opinion:

Chan Gailey is NOT a respected coach at the NFL level. I base this opinion on the FACT that nobody in the league with knowledge of head coaching vacancies even had Chan Gailey on their radar. Few even knew he was in the market for another head coaching gig.

Another opinion:

No respected, elite-level head coach will come to Buffalo because of their meddling owner, and franchise instability. We get the dregs.

Talk about massaging information to suit your bias...

There are lots of problems with this post but I'll just focus on two: yeah, he had all those veterans in Dallas. Old, tired veterans on their last legs. Those players were criticized heavily for their effort and work ethic in that period.

In KC, Chan turned around a terrible offense and made Thigpen look like a decent QB. They always planned to bring Weis back into the fold and he was just a stopgap solution for them until Weis was available. They're all old New England buds over there now.

Listen to what the players are saying because they're all saying the same thing: Their failures this year are their own problem - the coaches are putting them in teh right spots and planning effectively. They're not executing for ****.

Chan's history in the league IS fact. It is a fact that he was fired in Dallas after two disappointing seasons. It is a fact that he failed at Georgia Tech. It is a fact that he was fired as Chiefs offensive coordinator.

Just because the facts make you burp up your Kool-Aid, it doesn't invalidate them.

Now for my opinion:

Chan Gailey is NOT a respected coach at the NFL level. I base this opinion on the FACT that nobody in the league with knowledge of head coaching vacancies even had Chan Gailey on their radar. Few even knew he was in the market for another head coaching gig.

Another opinion:

No respected, elite-level head coach will come to Buffalo because of their meddling owner, and franchise instability. We get the dregs.

Well your opinion is wrong, because he is very well respected, as referenced by Punch above. And your fact is pretty skewed considering that he delayed the collapse of that Cowboys team for another two years, and he got fired from KC because Haley wanted to call his own offense, and had Gaily calling Haley's playbook.

And yes that does sound like a Dr Seuss book.

Edited by garbag3man

If Scott Pioli wanted to hire Gailey as head coach in Kansas City, Bill Cowher suggested to the Steelers' brass that his successor should be Chan Gailey, and Jerry Jones admits to regretting firing Gailey after only 2 years in Dallas doesn't that literally mean he is "well respected"? It doesn't mean he is a good coach, exactly, but those 3 examples alone prove it is a fact he is "well respected"--- "well respected" being subjective, anyway.

"Get a clue".

Pioli did not want him.

Cowher is a personal friend to him. You would stick up for your friend, wouldn't you?

Now for my opinion:

Another opinion:

Pioli wanted to hire Gailey as Head Coach in KC, but was (justifiably) afraid that the hire wouldn't excite the fans. So, when Todd Haley was hired, although Gailey was held over from the previous coaching regime, it was decided that the 2 had conflicting offensive philosophies. So he was fired, which was less of a mess than the similar situation in Buffalo at that time considering Haley's experience calling plays for the Cardinals explosive offense from mid 2007-08.

Pioli wanted to hire Gailey as Head Coach in KC, but was (justifiably) afraid that the hire wouldn't excite the fans. So, when Todd Haley was hired, although Gailey was held over from the previous coaching regime, it was decided that the 2 had conflicting offensive philosophies. So he was fired, which was less of a mess than the similar situation in Buffalo at that time considering Haley's experience calling plays for the Cardinals explosive offense from mid 2007-08.

Punch, by the way that quote in your Sig is probably the best Maddenism since John himself stopped doing games. I had to rewind twice to make sure I heard it right.

Edited by garbag3man

Pioli did not want him.

Cowher is a personal friend to him. You would stick up for your friend, wouldn't you?

You can't just say "Pioli didn't want him" when there is plenty of evidence that it is literally true that he did... and nobody really cares if you're sticking up for your friend Kelsay. Cowher wouldn't publicly and professionally stake his reputation on "sticking up for his friend". It's a little different than ranting on a message board.

Edited by Punch

Revisionist history Bills fans will do anything to prop up their puppet of a coach.

You same people spouted off over and over about how Dick Jauron was the right man for the job.

In two more years, you'll sing the same stupid company line about how misunderstood Marty Mornhinweg was, and how he was going to instill the right brand of football into our underrated, young nucleus of players.

Punch, by the way that quote in your Sig is probably the best Maddenism since John himself stopped doing games. I had to rewind twice to make sure I heard it right.

I don't even hate Diedorf or anything, but sometimes he lets a few gems out like that. Priceless.

You can't just say "Pioli didn't want him" when there is plenty of evidence that it is literally true that he did... and nobody really cares if you're sticking up for your friend Kelsay. Cowher wouldn't publicly and professionally stake his reputation on "sticking up for his friend". It's a little different than ranting on a message board.

Hell, he thinks Chris Kelsay is a good player because he earned 9 fantasy points this week. It's like trying to argue with Skooby. I think we're only a few days away from finding out what kind of car he drives.

Revisionist history Bills fans will do anything to prop up their puppet of a coach.

You same people spouted off over and over about how Dick Jauron was the right man for the job.

In two more years, you'll sing the same stupid company line about how misunderstood Marty Mornhinweg was, and how he was going to instill the right brand of football into our underrated, young nucleus of players.

I never liked Jauron, that's for sure--- I'm only saying he has a certain modicum of respect around the league. It's not unreasonable to admit this and still be skeptical that he can succeed here as head coach. If he doesn't pan out, well... more phantom rebuilding.

If he is such a great head coach and so well respected around the league, then WHY WOULD NO OTHER NFL TEAM GIVE HIM A HEAD COACHING SHOT FOR ALL THESE YEARS?

I'm not going to yell, but why did the Bills extend a sh***y DE/OLB at an exorbitant price when it's likely no other team would sign him for one year at the veteran minimum? "Get a clue".

you could have cowher, shanahan, parcells, whoever in here with this steaming pile of a team and they'd still be 0-4. not to mention that the bills have stunk so bad they couldn't even get those guys to return their phone calls. so cross out the coaches that weren't interested and take the best of what was left and this is what we've got. good coaches have to start somewhere. cowher didn't have a superbowl winning resume when the steelers hired him. levy didn't have years of championships and undefeated seasons in his resume either.

you don't recover from a decade of fail overnight. yes, it's frustrating that we've been "rebuilding" for 10+ years, but if you keep pulling the plug when the rebuild is only half complete, then that's what happens. it gets to the point where you have to just pick something and stick to it. if you wanna delay things even longer, pull the plug on gailey now and see what happens.

who do you realistically bring in to take his place with a team as dysfunctional as this? no coach with an impressive resume is going to want to risk tainting his legacy rolling around in this muck.

Hell, he thinks Chris Kelsay is a good player because he earned 9 fantasy points this week. It's like trying to argue with Skooby. I think we're only a few days away from finding out what kind of car he drives.

I wish I was in his fantasy league, I could start Ryan Denney and make a killing.

It's just funny how predictable people are here.

It goes from Cowher or bust! Shanahan or Cowher or else! Schottenheimer would be ok too!

And then...

CHAN GAILEY!?! WHAT THE HELL WHAT KIND OF SICK JOKE IS THIS? CHAN FAILEY!

<time passes>

Chan the Man has a plan! I really like his brand of blahblahblahblah.

This is where we are now.

In another year, everyone will be railing on how we need to fire Chan!

If he is such a great head coach and so well respected around the league, then WHY WOULD NO OTHER NFL TEAM GIVE HIM A HEAD COACHING SHOT FOR ALL THESE YEARS?

Wow. You're starting to lose it. This is awesome.

We should have known you were a half-step from crazy after your blind support for the Kelsay signing.

edit: my friendship with Chris has nothing to do with this topic

Ah, now the truth comes out. Well, next time you spend some quality time with your close friend Chris, why don't you break down some game tape with him and ask why he over-pursues and just kind of sucks in general.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

No he's not.

And anyways that's just your opinion, not a fact.

Why don't you give us your "facts" on why Chris Kelsay's extension was a good move? That post alone took away any credibility you had to evaluate a situation.

Nice logic.

You think Kelsay sucks, so therefore Chan is a good coach. Makes sense!

I just think he should get more than 4 games to state his case. Plus, there are actual respected people in the NFL that have actual respect for his actual potential as an NFL head coach, not some dunce on a message board claiming to be his friend that thinks he is a great DE/OLB deserving $24 million.

"Get a cluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeee."

I notice you won't answer the question, but instead again go with the Kelsay defense.

Chan was consulted heavily regarding the Kelsay deal, btw. Chan has a lot of respect for Kelsay. What does that do for your argument?

I said several times I don't hate Kelsay... I'm just not in love with him like you are. $24 million is a lot of money, although it probably won't all be paid out. I really wish Nix and Gailey, and whomever else, did not agree that this was in the best interest of the team.

I just think he should get more than 4 games to state his case. Plus, there are actual respected people in the NFL that have actual respect for his actual potential as an NFL head coach, not some dunce on a message board claiming to be his friend that thinks he is a great DE/OLB deserving $24 million.

"Get a cluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeee."

Name calling doesn't make you right, and doesn't make Chan less of a joke. You know that Chan will be gone in a few years and never get another NFL head coaching job, even if you won't admit it. Where will be all those people that respect him, then? Where were all the respected people lining up to give him a job over the last decade?

Maybe you should give Kelsay more than 4 games as an OLB to state his case. Gailey and Nix love Kelsay. Does than make them good or bad football guys?

Edited by NaPolian8693

Name calling doesn't make you right, and doesn't make Chan less of a joke. You know that Chan will be gone in a few years and never get another NFL head coaching job, even if you won't admit it. Where will be all those people that respect him, then? Where were all the respected people lining up to give him a job over the last decade?

Maybe you should give Kelsay more than 4 games as an OLB to state his case. Gailey and Nix love Kelsay. Does than make them good or bad football guys?

I don't know what that makes them---- maybe a little desperate. Kelsay was average at DE and so far he's worse at OLB.

If you really are friends with him tell him that there are many fans (me included) that sincerely hope he does well. That's 100% honest, I want him to succeed, and I would like him to know that. His character and hard work do not go unnoticed.

The only reason anyone gives you a hard time is that you are aggressively condescending, especially when you back yourself into a corner on unpopular issues. The whole "get a clue" thing is beyond obnoxious.

Now for my opinion:

Another opinion:

How do you know he was on no teams radar..? Because it wasn't on ESPN..? Are you in franchise meetings when there talking about who a good head coach would be on there team..? Perhaps Chan's name came up several times, perhaps it didn't but you shouldn't pretend to know.

I know everyone is frustrated with the Bills from top to bottom, but we need to give Nix/Gailey a chance, and that chance isn't 4 weeks into the season, it's 3 years..Lets just look for improvement in each quarter of the season..I have a feeling Gaily feels he made a mistake in hiring edwards as DC, and he'll probably be gone by the end of the season, but was there anyone else out there that wanted to come to Buffalo and be a DC..? Maybe this year there will be someone better ( Hopefully ) and assuming Edwards gets fired ( Which he should ).. But this team has no talent, so lets wait another season and see what they bring in and how it goes before we fire another head coach and bring in another one..!

The whole "get a clue" thing is beyond obnoxious.

Then why do you keep saying it? Do you think that will make me want to say it more, or say it less? What do you think the expected result is of trolling my threads with "Get a clue" repeatedly is going to be?

Then why do you keep saying it? Do you think that will make me want to say it more, or say it less? What do you think the expected result is of trolling my threads with "Get a clue" repeatedly is going to be?

I can't believe that's the part of my post that you responded to--- I and others are repeating it to show you that it's unappreciated and annoying.

Seriously, you are the biggest troll here and no one likes you. You proved it, again, with this reply.

Excellent crusade you've got going here. I dare you to post about something else.

Steelers OC

Cowboys HC

Georgia Tech HC

Chiefs OC

---

I don't agree with the Kelsay extension for that much money, though I think he has been a solid, while not good player for us through some very bad times. I am sure that he is a very good guy, and works his a** off, but I am still confused by how much they gave him.

As to the Chan discussion/poop-throwing contest, everyone needs to understand that it has only been 4 weeks. That is all, 4 weeks. It was mentioned before, we have never fully seen a rebuilding process through. People mention the other teams that have turned it around quickly, but context is the key. The Dolphins had a good core of a team, they crapped the bed for a year and turned it around. The Falcons had a high pick in a year that there was a stud QB available, and turned it around.

Our situation is different. There wasn't a QB who could turn it around, and there wasn't a OL worth spending the $$ on. So we get our high draft pick this year, hopefully one of the QB's shows that they can be the guy, and we are well on our way. We drafted a WR who showed some serious skill before getting hurt, we have the makings of young line that could be very solid for the next while, and we drafted some young 3-4 defenders who I think will prove to be fairly good.

Right after we signed Chan, didn't it come out that Marty Schottenheimer admitted he was interested in the job?