The Bills are the best in the league at one thing

LGB

It seems the Bill's marketing department has been the only thing above average as the faithful fans have been trying to come back for more. Partly because there is no other show in town and partly because the limited engagement performances under the lights of Toronto have reduced the number of “home” games by one.

The Bills faithful have been waiting patiently for better performances and has turned to searching for reruns of better-Bills-games-gone-by on the American Football Classics channel to remember how things used to be. Letters to season tickets holders have references to teams back in the early 90s – as many fans ask what has been done lately?

Seriously, put in a tape from the Bills from the 90s SB years. It is light and day difference between now and then. When visiting training camp this year, I wanted to buy the Bills/Oilers comeback video that they were playing in the merchandise tent. "No, we don't have that...you might find it online." was the answer I got. Damn, at least give me that...something positive.

For the last ten years, the owner seemingly has had it on cruise control and is someone who appears to be content with the idea that he has rewarded western NY fans merely by keeping the team here, but he has not gone as far as ensuring that this will be the case when he is gone. It is what it is. A bad product getting worse that even the best marketing team might not be able to sell. A whole new generation of fans have had nothing to cheer about. What has been tried has not worked. Just a whiff of the playoffs or a winning competitive season is all most fans would like to see.

Before this gets lost in the whine storm, let me give you props on posting your thoughts w/ out the typical garbage that tends to lead to a free for all.

R.Rich, first let me say, I have always enjoyed your posts. You are one of just a handful whom I respect. But I have to disagree with you on this. 10 years of mediocrity is a pretty good excuse to complain. I would not call it whining.

As far as it becoming a free for all. That I agree with you on. But then, sometimes fee for alls can be fun. :thumbsup:

Seriously, put in a tape from the Bills from the 90s SB years. It is light and day difference between now and then. When visiting training camp this year, I wanted to buy the Bills/Oilers comeback video that they were playing in the merchandise tent. "No, we don't have that...you might find it online." was the answer I got. Damn, at least give me that...something positive.

I would like a copy of that too. That game was blacked out, wasn't it?

It seems the Bill's marketing department has been the only thing above average as the faithful fans have been trying to come back for more. Partly because there is no other show in town and partly because the limited engagement performances under the lights of Toronto have reduced the number of “home” games by one.

The Bills faithful have been waiting patiently for better performances and has turned to searching for reruns of better-Bills-games-gone-by on the American Football Classics channel to remember how things used to be. Letters to season tickets holders have references to teams back in the early 90s – as many fans ask what has been done lately?

For the last ten years, the owner seemingly has had it on cruise control and is someone who appears to be content with the idea that he has rewarded western NY fans merely by keeping the team here, but he has not gone as far as ensuring that this will be the case when he is gone. It is what it is. A bad product getting worse that even the best marketing team might not be able to sell. A whole new generation of fans have had nothing to cheer about. What has been tried has not worked. Just a whiff of the playoffs or a winning competitive season is all most fans would like to see.

Only show in town? What about the Sabres? The Bulls? The Bandits?

I would like a copy of that too. That game was blacked out, wasn't it?

Yes it was. I worked 2 hours from Buffalo and was visiting. Because the game was blacked out, I went with some student friends to a $1 breakfast joint near the UB AMherst campus. We were listening and then the comeback started - we didnt leave till the game was over. Needless to say the breakfast ended up being quite a bit more than $1. Good times.

Bills fans are pragmatic fans. Sure we'd love a winner. Unfortunately we don't have the leverage that most big cities have. New York or Chicago are not going to lose their teams to another city, so fans there can vote with their wallets. In Buffalo, we don't show up and - poof - no more Bills. So we take the good parts of experience...the tailgating, the anticipation, the spectacle...and appreciate that we are part of the very exclusive club of 32 cities.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot