Star Wars Saga Converted to 3D

/dev/null

Another version for George Lucas to trickle-release, in the hopes that the cult-obsessed will buy one each of the VHS... the remastered VHS... the DVDs... the remastered DVDs... the Special edition DVDs... the Blu-ray (I think next year?)... the Special edition Blu-ray... the 3-D DVD... then the 3-D Blu-ray. Never-ending business from one movie series.

I caught part of Episode II during a family party and haven't seen Episode III yet. Amazingly, life has gone on.

Why is this so terrible?

I guess it's not so bad, really.

It just annoys people because they just keep putting out so many different versions of these movies. George Lucas is kind of taking advantage of the loyalty of the fans. These people are such completist geeks about it that they will buy anything new that comes out, even if it has some tiny little trivial nugget of something different that was not available to them before. It seems likely that they'll have this new 3D version at a premium price. Then a year from now there will be some Collector's Edition with a "new & improved" version of the 3D movie, also a premium price. Then, they'll put out the same thing again and call it the Deluxe Anniversary Edition, with some little collectible stickers or some crap...

It's like, how much can you milk from these poor suckers? I guess you can also look at it like these geeks could get a life and just stop buying this crap. But I think we all know that's not gonna happen.

Another version for George Lucas to trickle-release, in the hopes that the cult-obsessed will buy one each of the VHS... the remastered VHS... the DVDs... the remastered DVDs... the Special edition DVDs... the Blu-ray (I think next year?)... the Special edition Blu-ray... the 3-D DVD... then the 3-D Blu-ray. Never-ending business from one movie series.

What about LaserDisc? Were they released on this format?

The only somewhat redeeming quality about the movies coming out in the theater is that I'll be able to take my kids (currently age 5 & 3) to see the bastardized versions of episodes 4-6 on the big screen.

So is George Lucas just supposed to ignore the perpetual market that exists for all things Star Wars? One of his many hats is that of a business man, so I think it's silly to criticize him for giving the fans what they want. I may not buy the discs, but I'm very much looking foward to seeing the blu-ray transfers when they come out. They did an amazing job with the DVDs, so I expect the blurays to be stunning. :thumbsup:

I don't know how you guys feel about it, but I find myself wanting to like 3-D much more than I actually like it. The only time it really impressed me was about 20 years ago during one of the 3-D demonstrations at Epcot, and a few of the IMAX 3-D presentations. Aside from that, it's just not all that often that I'm blown away by 3-D effects.

I don't know how you guys feel about it, but I find myself wanting to like 3-D much more than I actually like it. The only time it really impressed me was about 20 years ago during one of the 3-D demonstrations at Epcot, and a few of the IMAX 3-D presentations. Aside from that, it's just not all that often that I'm blown away by 3-D effects.

Watching 3D tends to make me feel a little :sick: .

I caught part of Episode II during a family party and haven't seen Episode III yet. Amazingly, life has gone on.

You should see Episode III, it's one of the best.

As for the 3D release's, this was pretty much anticipated, so no big surprise. In 2012, the original Star Wars will be 35 years old. I'm not that big on 3D, but it would be cool to see it that way. Personally, I'd be happy with just a 2D re-release of the movies, just to see them on the silver screen again.

Now if only Lucas would just announce that there will be an episodes VII, VIII & IX.

Did you see Avatar? I thought that was VERY well done (although the movie itself sucked...). It didn't throw things at you as a gimmick, it just made the image look completely three dimensional.

That said, the movie was FILMED with that in mind. Movies that do this sort of thing after the fact aren't going to be half as good.

As for the constant re-releases -- it's not just Lucas. Studios have been doing that forever.

Did you see Avatar? I thought that was VERY well done (although the movie itself sucked...). It didn't throw things at you as a gimmick, it just made the image look completely three dimensional.

That said, the movie was FILMED with that in mind. Movies that do this sort of thing after the fact aren't going to be half as good.

As for the constant re-releases -- it's not just Lucas. Studios have been doing that forever.

Yep, I enjoyed avatar...looking forward to seeing it again. The 2nd viewing will be in 2-D in my home theater, so it'll be interesting to see if the lack of 3-D takes away from the experience or if it's equally as enjoyable.

You should see Episode III, it's one of the best.

Definitely agree. I think the 2nd half of Ep.III is some of the best stuff from either trilogy

Yep, I enjoyed avatar...looking forward to seeing it again. The 2nd viewing will be in 2-D in my home theater, so it'll be interesting to see if the lack of 3-D takes away from the experience or if it's equally as enjoyable.

I can't sit through it again...

What about LaserDisc? Were they released on this format?

Oh HELL yeah they were. They are the only anamorphic release of the three SW movies that exist currently, and are my most prized possessions. This is what I will leave to my son.

As for the rest of the SW stuff these days, after the disaster that was the "new" trilogy, I made a solemn vow that I would no longer be a party to shoving more quarters in George Lucas' fat cheeks. I bet he sits in his massive home theater at the Skywalker Ranch watching his digitally enhanced wedding videos. He probably digidatlly edited in with Chewbacca as his best man, while he giggles like a girl in his Ewok PJ's. Fukin one hit wonder...

Edited by TheMadCap

Its not so bad if you don't like it you don't have to go see it. I hated episodes 1-3 but that doesn't make the Original Trilogy any worse.

No, but constantly changing things in them does. I don't mind adding things to them. In fact, I am somewhat curious to see some of the deleted scenes that have rarely been seen. I understand the fat bullfrog is finally going to allow loyal fans the privalege of seeing the original beginning of ROTJ.

It would please me greatly to see some of the stuff that was cut out: the sandstorm and Luke giving Vader his sabre during the death star duel in ROTJ, the footage of Luke and his friends at Tosche station from SW, the Wampa attack from ESB, but I guess we'll have to wait until the extra, super-duper, 4D, make you cream your Jeans version in 2027...