The Trent situation was handled perfectly

Meathead

the popular thing to do right now is wail and moan about how inept the organization is, which the record shows is unarguably true, and also how chuddyban were so stupid to give trentative the job in the first place after having all that film

lets review:

- chan was thought to be (by me and i think billions of other billievers) an offensive guru and specifically good at getting production out of tyler fkn thigpen type qbs

- chan was inheriting what was thought to be (by me and trillions of other non-billievers) one of the most inept offenses in bills history with bottom seven-ish rankings for something like six straight seasons. holy crap it sounds way worse now that i typed it. see how that works

- just look at the last staff and tell me thats a group youd have confidence in to develop a qb. they couldnt possibly know what they have in anybody, well except for never-will-be-more-than-good-backup fitz and thats only because they had much more data on him from two sources one of which was a pretty good bengirls offense where he threw a lot

- given how fast they made the first and second round picks its clear they were thrilled at the guys they got. i was skeptical of troup at first but both he and spill appear to be bonafide future starters or better. the troup/clausen derby is officially underway

- there were holes all over this roster. still are. theyve point blank explained they liked all the players they picked better than whatever qb was avail. that means they were adding what they felt were better resources on this talent resource poor team

- they really can only carry three qbs unless they want to sacrifice a practice squad spot for a qb that will very rarely get official practice reps or will steal them from the others

- they have to carry fitz. hes the insurance

- they had to find out what trent really was - pre-adrian or trentative. theres really no way they could be sure and its more than reasonable they expected if anybody could make trent productive it was chan. good call. bad result. still was a good call

- they felt they had their development guy in brohm. you can tell that earlier they werent sure, how could they be, but now gailey confirms they want to invest cycles in him. so thats three very reasonable roster positions for qbs

at this point the picture should already be forming for you. if you havent agreed yet consider what happens if trent goes elsewhere and shines. it was literally a coin flip at that time whether this reputed qb friendly system could coax productivity out of trent. thats worth the investment of a qb competition and a few starts

theres logically no other choice

and now after two real games they recognize trent failed the system. badaboom badabing. gone like dinner. or something

ok-but-never-to-be-a-real-starter fitz now helps them bide time and develop the rest of the offensive system. they will add their choice of rookie fas to the practice squad. and they give brian his audition to be the next starting qb

perfect

inoptimal result. optimal execution

now whether we can translate that kind of thing into overall success is way open to question. but this whole trent qb thing was handled perfectly fine. bad result. adjustment made. trigger pulled. boom. you talking to me? do you know who i am?

Too much sense. Head hurts.

PTR

Also, no one here is really considering that perhaps Trent and or his agent asked for his release (to have your team leader, with a captain's patch, be benched twice in a year, he really cant lead your team after that and probably needed to go somewhere else, I think Chan just did Trent a favor).

We just don't know, and there are no reporters around with the sources to find this stuff out, either. Sad. It's so much easier to just say the Bills suck.

it's obvious trent refuses to throw the ball downfield. he's a horrible qb. i am convinced he is not the qb of the future. i would rather see what Brohm has to offer than to give trent another shot. trent is wasting money and practice reps by being on this team any longer. nix and co handled it right.

...lets review:...after two real games they recognize trent failed the system. badaboom badabing. gone like dinner. or something...perfect...inoptimal result. optimal execution...this whole trent qb thing was handled perfectly fine. bad result. adjustment made. trigger pulled. boom. you talking to me? do you know who i am?

:worthy::thumbsup: You are either Robert DiNero in Taxi, or Robin Williams' genie in Aladin. Either way, "You are RIGHT Sir."!

Nix was perfectly fine to see what he had, and Gailey was 100% right to hand it to Edwards to see what he had. I'm not the least bit concerned about the offense (well, the O-Line is pathetic, but Nix told us right off the bat that not only was he not "the smartest guy in the room", but also that his style of rebuilding was via the draft 90% and inexpensive free agents 10% way back in January, so it's not like we should be shocked.)

My real concern is with this damn defense. I complained about Gailey hiring old buddies with zero experience for his two coordinators, and my fellow posters out here basically told me "that's how it always works." Well, no, that is not how it always works.

Please check out who the OC and DC of the KC Chiefs are to prove my point. Charlie Weiss and Romeo Cronell are not old buddies of Todd Haley. They of course are old buddies of the young guy who took over control of K.C. after he helped build the Pats into 3 time SB winners, can't remember his name, but please don't remind of that fact....I know it.

But I also love it. The GM could care less about Haley feeling comfortable and "secure" picking his own guys, after just one year. He brought in two of the best coordinators ever in the NFL who also led the Pats to their 3 SB wins, and lo and behold, look at how improved those 3-0 Chiefs suddenly are.

Which brings me to George Edwards, Chan's ol' buddy who never coordinated defense before in the NFL. Gee does it show?? Nothing like making your entire personnel switch positions and/or schemes only to run the exact same sit-back no-blitz crap that the former DC ran the past 4 years!!!

It's the defense that has me the most upset, the offense will do just fine the rest of the season. Chan may have to fire yet another Edwards from his team before this season reaches it's merciful yet productive top 3 pick end!! :oops:

Also, no one here is really considering that perhaps Trent and or his agent asked for his release (to have your team leader, with a captain's patch, be benched twice in a year, he really cant lead your team after that and probably needed to go somewhere else, I think Chan just did Trent a favor).

While possible, I highly doubt it. Trent was reportedly surprised by the release and I don't think he's the type to complain and ask for a trade or to be let go.

He may have been a well-liked guy, but my gut tells me that the rest of the offense was sick of the inept play. Once the staff decided Trent wasn't going to play anymore, the decision seemed simple. They probably could have kept him on the team as the 3rd (read: emergency) QB, but that sends an indirect message to Trent that he's done. To me, this was the professional thing to do - tell him outright and do it now so he can work on another chance.

While possible, I highly doubt it. Trent was reportedly surprised by the release and I don't think he's the type to complain and ask for a trade or to be let go.

Also, it had to be clear to him that he's not in high demand and staying with the team was his only surefire way to stay in the NFL and get a paycheck.

the popular thing to do right now is wail and moan about how inept the organization is, which the record shows is unarguably true, and also how chuddyban were so stupid to give trentative the job in the first place after having all that film

lets review:

- chan was thought to be (by me and i think billions of other billievers) an offensive guru and specifically good at getting production out of tyler fkn thigpen type qbs

- chan was inheriting what was thought to be (by me and trillions of other non-billievers) one of the most inept offenses in bills history with bottom seven-ish rankings for something like six straight seasons. holy crap it sounds way worse now that i typed it. see how that works

- just look at the last staff and tell me thats a group youd have confidence in to develop a qb. they couldnt possibly know what they have in anybody, well except for never-will-be-more-than-good-backup fitz and thats only because they had much more data on him from two sources one of which was a pretty good bengirls offense where he threw a lot

- given how fast they made the first and second round picks its clear they were thrilled at the guys they got. i was skeptical of troup at first but both he and spill appear to be bonafide future starters or better. the troup/clausen derby is officially underway

- there were holes all over this roster. still are. theyve point blank explained they liked all the players they picked better than whatever qb was avail. that means they were adding what they felt were better resources on this talent resource poor team

- they really can only carry three qbs unless they want to sacrifice a practice squad spot for a qb that will very rarely get official practice reps or will steal them from the others

- they have to carry fitz. hes the insurance

- they had to find out what trent really was - pre-adrian or trentative. theres really no way they could be sure and its more than reasonable they expected if anybody could make trent productive it was chan. good call. bad result. still was a good call

- they felt they had their development guy in brohm. you can tell that earlier they werent sure, how could they be, but now gailey confirms they want to invest cycles in him. so thats three very reasonable roster positions for qbs

at this point the picture should already be forming for you. if you havent agreed yet consider what happens if trent goes elsewhere and shines. it was literally a coin flip at that time whether this reputed qb friendly system could coax productivity out of trent. thats worth the investment of a qb competition and a few starts

theres logically no other choice

and now after two real games they recognize trent failed the system. badaboom badabing. gone like dinner. or something

ok-but-never-to-be-a-real-starter fitz now helps them bide time and develop the rest of the offensive system. they will add their choice of rookie fas to the practice squad. and they give brian his audition to be the next starting qb

perfect

inoptimal result. optimal execution

now whether we can translate that kind of thing into overall success is way open to question. but this whole trent qb thing was handled perfectly fine. bad result. adjustment made. trigger pulled. boom. you talking to me? do you know who i am?

I think theose who are down on the way this went down are making the argument that TE was no different last season. There was ample time for CG to come to this conclusion before theseason started. His being an "offensive guru" had no effect at all.

The optimal execution would have been to realize both TE's limitations and Chan's own limitations and started to develop Brohm right away. Or bring in a savvy vet like Garcia for this season only.

I assume you are kidding about Troup showing as a future star "or better". Someone here posted that he's been involved in like 7 of 30 defensive series so far. Spiller looks like a player.