Bill Polian Says 18 game regular season "is a done deal"

Phlegm Alley

This is idiotic and going to shorten a lot of players careers. But whatever makes billionaire owners more money!!!

Bull. Hey here is the deal either they can play the 18 games for the same overall salary or go get a damn job. No one holds a gun to these guys heads and says don't go out and get a degree with that FREE education the college you went to is giving you, instead go play football. Legal term applies here 'Asumption of risk'. They know the risks of putting their bodies through an NFL career and choose to do so.

I am 100% with the owners across the board with 18 games, manditory BLOOD tests for Steroids, HgH etc, Rookie salary cap and the players not being paid 60% of the teams income. it has gotten WAY out of hand where the EMPLOYEES think they run the business.

Bull. Hey here is the deal either they can play the 18 games for the same overall salary or go get a damn job. No one holds a gun to these guys heads and says don't go out and get a degree with that FREE education the college you went to is giving you, instead go play football. Legal term applies here 'Asumption of risk'. They know the risks of putting their bodies through an NFL career and choose to do so.

I am 100% with the owners across the board with 18 games, manditory BLOOD tests for Steroids, HgH etc, Rookie salary cap and the players not being paid 60% of the teams income. it has gotten WAY out of hand where the EMPLOYEES think they run the business.

You mean the same colleges that makes millions of 18-22 year old kids who don't see a cent of that money? That seems fair.

And that fact you are on the owners' side just makes more even more confident that the players are right.

This is idiotic and going to shorten a lot of players careers. But whatever makes billionaire owners more money!!!

Not just the billionaire owners, but the multi-millionaire players. How else can the players continue to get absolutely stupid salaries. For example:

Brady 18 million

Eli Manning: 16.3 million

Payton Manning: Soon to be more than 18 million

Brady now getting more than 1 million ... that's right, a 1 with 6 zeros ... per game for the regular season. That is just mind numbingly stupid money. That money has to come from somewhere. Even at 18 games a season, he still walks away with a cool million every Sunday.

Plenty of greed to go around in the NFL. It isn't confined to just the owners.

Edited by CodeMonkey

From this fan's perspective, it is a mistake. Greed? Obviously. Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, Robert Kraft, etc., are all tickled pink with themselves. Now will they be able to get the NFLPA on board? Will there be an NFLPA if the owners move to a lockout? It may be inevitable, but done deal? I think not quite yet.

And why does that matter if it shortens player's careers? There will just be other players to take their place. There are a whole lot of Buffalo Bills who I wish had their careers shortened a whole lot who are on this team today. Are you a frikin ex player or what? You always side with the players on everything like you are one of them or something. We are fans, the more games the better as far as I am concerned. This is a business. The owners OWN the teams. They have given us fans this wonderful opportunity to enjoy a violent brutal game that is incredibly entertaining. Thank the owners you tool for being given the opportunity to be an NFL fan.

IMO, it won't be for the same salary they will pro rate the existing contracts at a per game rate and add two more weeks of pay. JMO

Also, they should add a second bye week for each team. This would give players another week during the season to heal and TV stations another week of games.

I also believe that if they are going to 18 games the size of the active roster needs to be increased to approx. 60-65 players and if a rookie wage scale is put in then the percentage of money the players get right now shouldn't change. JMO

You mean the same colleges that makes millions of 18-22 year old kids who don't see a cent of that money? That seems fair.

And that fact you are on the owners' side just makes more even more confident that the players are right.

I agree slightly with you and used to agree with you fully, until I realized that to go to Notre Dame as a student it's $38,480, per year. These athletes get "paid" almost $40,000 a year. What they choose to make of their education is up to them. The vast majority of these guys won't even get a quick glance by professional sports leagues so if a guy wants to waste the free education it's his right, but a damn fool thing to do. IIRC, less than 1% of all graduating scholarshipped football players make it to a 53 man NFL roster every year.

I don't know if the scholarships include books but food and lodging are included. It's a very sweet deal if they use it right. The money the school makes off the athletic program goes to keeping tuition down for those without academic or athletic gifts that enable them to have a free education.

If my family was mortgaging the house in order to send me to Notre Dame I'd be livid any time someone complained about the players being taken advantage of.

However, I do see your point. It seems they are taken advantage of because of the total number of dollars involved, but after thinking it through I'm a lot more on the college's side. JMO

Strange choice of words from Polian. It is a done deal on one side only at this point.

I don't think so. I believe Polian is one of the people on the negotiating team and is stating something that has been agreed upon, now, by both sides, JMO

Yeah the same. They get an over 100k education and either bypass it or do nothing with it. I don't feel for them at all. BTW if the owners win, the FANS win. Ticket prices are out of hand and bigger more expensive stadiums are being built to pay those huge salaries. I agree with the owners 100% across the board. Time for employees to be employees again and deal with it. Dont' like it? Then go get a job.

They dont even know if they're playing next season. How can this be a done deal?

Because he knows the owners will put an 11th hour deal on the table and either the NFLPA can take it or go on strike. If they strike, there will be replacement games until the NFLPA accepts it. The owners are tired of the inmates running the asylum and I agree.

I am pretty sure they are getting paid with an education worth thousands of dollars, that other students are paying.

I'm very happy to get one more regular season game and having to pay for one less preseason game that I never actually go to.

I can't believe how much backlash there is about this all over the place. I thought everybody would be happy with that. Preseason is horrible.