Why Trent was Benched and Released

NaPolian8693

The real reason the Edwards situation ended like this was because there was a big locker room issue. The team lost all confidence in him after he refused to throw the hail mary attempt at the end of the first game, and several players went to the coaching staff. The pressure on the coaching staff mounted until he was finally benched. He did not take it very well, and the whole situation was dangerously close to having a Whitner-type tweet about it and it becoming a circus. This is what I heard through a pretty reliable source.

Chan and Buddy are not totally clueless. They liked this guy and wanted to give him a chance, and it's not like in two weeks they magically realized what all the fans have known for quite some time. They were handcuffed in this situation, and I say good for the players for stepping up and trying to create a winning mentality.

Edited by NaPolian8693

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The real reason the Edwards situation ended like this was because there was a big locker room issue. The team lost all confidence in him after he refused to throw the hail mary attempt at the end of the first game, and several players went to the coaching staff. The pressure on the coaching staff mounted until he was finally benched. He did not take it very well, and the whole situation was dangerously close to having a Whitner-type tweet about it and it becoming a circus. This is what I heard through a pretty reliable source.

Chan and Buddy are not totally clueless. They liked this guy and wanted to give him a chance, and it's not like in two weeks they magically realized what all the fans have known for quite some time. They were handcuffed in this situation, and I say good for the players for stepping up and trying to create a winning mentality.

After one game the players went to the coach to complain? Interesting.

After one game the players went to the coach to complain? Interesting.

The players wanted to give the new coaches and management the benefit of the doubt, and also give Trent the benefit of the doubt. His gutless actions were so alarming that the players were ready to mutiny. Gailey was going to risk losing the team if he stayed with Trent.

The players wanted to give the new coaches and management the benefit of the doubt, and also give Trent the benefit of the doubt. His gutless actions were so alarming that the players were ready to mutiny. Gailey was going to risk losing the team if he stayed with Trent.

Gotcha, totally understand that. Do you mean week 1 or 2 bc he did same thing when he ran out of bounds at GB.

I mean coaches see that too and then TE is nowhere to be seen yesterday (at least on TV).

Player complaining may have contributed, but the real reason Trent got cut was that he was miserably ineffective on the field and he has been in the past. Trent performed well enough in the preseason to give himself one last chance but then came out and produced the worst passing performance in the NFL over the first 2 weeks. This is not the way to prove to your coach that your past performance was due to the game plan and coaching. The team benched him and when Fitz had an infinitely better performance it became crystal clear that Trent was not worth the roster space. Locker room complaining may have contributed but it wasn't "the real reason". Trent got canned because he sucked. Also the reason why his only chance of signing elsewhere is as a 3rd stringer. 10 teams only have 2 QB's aside from the Bills. If none of them take them, what does that tell you....?

So your position is that the Bills shouldn't use the money or draft picks to improve on a very weak roster position, but to double down on a marginal player because he's a nice guy?

With logic like that AVP would have moved ahead of Kelly on the depth chart.

Not throwing the Hail Mary, then running out of bounds on 4th down certainly would have had me bitchin' if it happened on a team I play for. I too, think Edwards knowingly choosing to 'just lose' with these actions sealed his fate.

Not that we haven't known this but these two actions show his complete lack of situational awareness. You can't teach that. I, for one, once thought Trent had a chance to be decent but without this this segment of the "it" factor, he's no better than some Joe throwing a football in the lot during tailgate.

Edited by DerekJ

I not only agree this is completely plausible, it's likely to be dead on. Evans spoke of the lack of understanding and confidence in Trent, albeit in a diplomatic manner.

Currently listening to WGR (for the Bills presser).....