The Jimmy Clausen era in Carolina

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clausen will NOT have a better career than Fitz. Clausen will have a Edward-esque career. Remember Fitz won his opener passing for over 300 yards.

McCoy and Clausen were top rated but top rated in a year of bad QBs. The best thing the Bills did was NOT draft another bad QB

Promo -

Clausen will go on to have a better career than any current Bills QB. He did not have the advantage of working with the first team all throughout OTAs and training camp, like Bradford did. Even in his disastrous rookie debut, he did better than many of Trent's performances.

Does Clausen struggling in his debut somehow validate the coaches starting the season with Edwards, or validate yet another poor Bills draft?

We'll see. He could well be a hall of famer. Just not in week one. That's all I'm saying.

PTR

Clausen will go on to have a better career than any current Bills QB. He did not have the advantage of working with the first team all throughout OTAs and training camp, like Bradford did. Even in his disastrous rookie debut, he did better than many of Trent's performances.

Negative - Brian Brohm will will have a far better career than Jimmy Clausen ever will, and Ryan Fitzpatrick already has.

Edited by The Senator

Clausen will NOT have a better career than Fitz. Clausen will have a Edward-esque career. Remember Fitz won his opener passing for over 300 yards.

Against a 2-14 Texans team. Guess who was catching the TD's for Fitz? Holt and Bruce! After Steve Smith, the Panthers have 2 rookies, Lafell a 3rd rounder and Gettis a 6th rounder as their 2nd and 3rd WRs. Gettis was more known for track at Baylor than anything else.

2 future HOF WR's vs Steve Smith and 2 rookies as your weapons. Good comparison though... :thumbsup:

...or gives up a sack...or breaks a nail and takes himself out of a game...or plays way below his contract. Yes we do.

But getting back to Clausen for a second I love how noble and patient everyone gets for players on other teams. How many "Spiller is a bust!!" posts were there the last two weeks? Brilliant! And even better, no one gets the irony.

Case in point: Byrd is overrated because he hasn't had an INT yet.

PTR

I HATED the pick and never called him a bust. But then again, I don't jump up and down with glee about every move the Bills make so I guess I was out of line too.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Trent looked good in camp too...

Wait, so are you saying that Easley is in fact a bust without stepping on the field?

This whole thing is insane. This regime has had one draft and three games so far. Three games into last year, no one had ever seen Jairus Byrd play a snap. Does that mean that he was a complete bust. I get the frustration, it's been a long decade, but everyone needs to step back from the ledge. Rebuilding the right way takes more than one offseason and three weeks. Our draft picks will start playing, Wang is getting better, Carrington will see the field more, as will Troupe. Then we will have 4 of our 9 draft picks playing in their rookie year, and contributing. I think that makes it a successful draft.

Here's a list of the QB's picked in the top rounds of the draft:

First round

1. Bradford

2. Tebow

Second round

Clausen

Third round

McCoy

Now, imagine any of these QB's playing behind the current Buffalo O-line which, at least at this point, is one of the worst in the league. Looking at it that way, I can't imagine any of them not getting mentally ruined by it. Gailey isn't stupid. He knows how to look at game film, and he most likely saw how bad the O-line is from day one. Now, knowing this, does it make sense to invest the time and money on a QB in the first round? Because first round money is so ridiculously inflated, it's a huge gamble that can set a team back for a long time.

It remains to be seen whether any of the above picks will pan out, but a lot of their success will be tied to the success of the O-line they play behind.

IMHO, the Bills number one problem was, is and will be until they really address it: The O-Line.

Edited by gobillsinytown

I won't jump on Promo for posting this. He clearly wasn't suggesting that Clausen stunk, based on this one game.

But I bet, had Clausen had a good game, there would be several posters lined up to post "I told you so" based on the one game. You KNOW that's true.

I won't jump on Promo for posting this. He clearly wasn't suggesting that Clausen stunk, based on this one game.

But I bet, had Clausen had a good game, there would be several posters lined up to post "I told you so" based on the one game. You KNOW that's true.

Nope not me. I stand by my thoughts and didnt want this guy from day one. I'll wait for Luck.

Obviously, it's one game but I'm very glad the Bills passed on him. I just never thought he was the answer long term and he was a very mechanical QB who played with great receivers in college. He looked a lot better because it was a crapfest draft for QBs. There are at least 4 guys in this next draft who will be better QBs than Clausen.

I love this thread. It is crazy that the same people that said our offense is the worst in the nfl, we are going to be picking 1st in the draft, we are going 0-16 only after 2-3 games, and Spiller is a wasted pick are the same people that are saying Clausen just needs time.

Truth is, all young players and new systems need time. It is sad that if you are a bill, you have to produce now or get hated... but if you are on another team, then it is all good and he has a "bright future" and we SHOULD have had him. Please, if clausen played like that for us this week, people would be furious that we are stuck with him for like 3 years.

I think all of the bolded statements are true.

While not every play, Troupe is on the field, and with the way Easley looked early, they were saying he would have been on the field if not injured.

Them are the breaks. Still takes 3 years to evaluate a draft.

Troupe played 9 of 70 D snaps this weekend.

And if we did draft Clausen, this week would have been his third NFL start. FWIW

Troupe played 9 of 70 D snaps this weekend.

And if we did draft Clausen, this week would have been his third NFL start. FWIW

I don't think he would have beat out Brohm, judging from what I have seen so far.

But had he started for the Bills this year, it would have been the worst thing possible for him and the team, IMO.