Bills GM would have chose Leaf over Manning

DUFF

With the anticipation of finally getting our franchise quarterback with the 2011 draft choice I began looking at the scouting reports of the top contenders IMO (Mallett, Luck, Locker, Ponder). Out of curiosity I looked back to what the experts said about Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf at the time. (sorry no linky...just copy and paste). Lets hope Nix doesn f#@k this up!

Tennessee's Peyton Manning and Washington State's Ryan Leaf have a chance to change that. They will go 1-2, or 2-1, in the April 18 draft to the Colts and Chargers, two bad teams.

So who is better? Manning vs. Leaf is the hot debate of this year's draft.

In the last three weeks, the Daily News polled a coach, GM or personnel director from 25 teams. The question: If you had the first pick, would you take Manning or Leaf? An overwhelming 20 said they would take Manning, three went for Leaf and two declined to give an opinion.

"If there is a more impressive guy in the country than Peyton Manning, I would be shocked," Bucs coach Tony Dungy said.

Bills GM John Butler would take Leaf. "He takes some hits and can buy extra time with his exceptional strength," he said. "He can look off people and get it done. You like the big, strong guys. It's a tough game where you take a lot of punishment."

Some of those picking Manning said they were just more familiar with him than Leaf. The bottom line: Manning may be the best-prepared quarterback to ever come into the NFL. He absorbed football through his father, Archie, and has a coach's understanding of the game. He's the safe pick with big-game experience and has a better chance to have success right away than Leaf.

Leaf is more physically imposing with a better arm; he's unshakable in the pocket, an aggressive, confident player who may have more long-term upside than Manning. Both, though, could be starters as rookies.

With the anticipation of finally getting our franchise quarterback with the 2011 draft choice I began looking at the scouting reports of the top contenders IMO (Mallett, Luck, Locker, Ponder). Out of curiosity I looked back to what the experts said about Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf at the time. (sorry no linky...just copy and paste). Lets hope Nix doesn f#@k this up!

Tennessee's Peyton Manning and Washington State's Ryan Leaf have a chance to change that. They will go 1-2, or 2-1, in the April 18 draft to the Colts and Chargers, two bad teams.

So who is better? Manning vs. Leaf is the hot debate of this year's draft.

In the last three weeks, the Daily News polled a coach, GM or personnel director from 25 teams. The question: If you had the first pick, would you take Manning or Leaf? An overwhelming 20 said they would take Manning, three went for Leaf and two declined to give an opinion.

"If there is a more impressive guy in the country than Peyton Manning, I would be shocked," Bucs coach Tony Dungy said.

Bills GM John Butler would take Leaf. "He takes some hits and can buy extra time with his exceptional strength," he said. "He can look off people and get it done. You like the big, strong guys. It's a tough game where you take a lot of punishment."

Some of those picking Manning said they were just more familiar with him than Leaf. The bottom line: Manning may be the best-prepared quarterback to ever come into the NFL. He absorbed football through his father, Archie, and has a coach's understanding of the game. He's the safe pick with big-game experience and has a better chance to have success right away than Leaf.

Leaf is more physically imposing with a better arm; he's unshakable in the pocket, an aggressive, confident player who may have more long-term upside than Manning. Both, though, could be starters as rookies.

I think that says it all. The media made it out to sound like it was dead on even between these two. 20-3 is not very even. It is for this reason that I cannot believe fans take Tan McShays opiion and act liek its as good as gold. Locker was never considered a #1 overall by anyone in the NFL (well, Ralph may have) but people keep saying it like its true. Didnt you all see what happend to Snead? Snead sucked, no one wanted him, but McShay had him nabbed as the best QB ever. So can we put all that to rest?

"Tennessee's Peyton Manning and Washington State's Ryan Leaf have a chance to change that. They will go 1-2, or 2-1, in the April 18 draft to the Colts and Chargers, two bad teams. <..>

The bottom line: Manning may be the best-prepared quarterback to ever come into the NFL. He absorbed football through his father, Archie, and has a coach's understanding of the game. He's the safe pick with big-game experience and has a better chance to have success right away than Leaf.

Leaf is more physically imposing with a better arm; he's unshakable in the pocket, an aggressive, confident player who may have more long-term upside than Manning. Both, though, could be starters as rookies."

Begin sarcasm: Hey, why don't we get Ryan Leaf out of retirement? He'd be better than what we got" :End Sarcasm

Let's see: Million dollar head, coaches understanding of the game = success

Million dollar arm, swelled head = bust

People who like "College Quarterback X" because he's "got a cannon for an arm" or "College Quarterback Y" because he's physically imposing, take note.

What is his work ethic and how deep is his understanding of the game?

Anyone else remember that Flynn (y'know, the guy who beat out Brohm as GB backup) drafted low b'cuz he spent several years in college on the bench behind...Jamarcus Russell???????

Although we are dealing with a moot point, the history cannot be ignored. That being said, the debate occurs most every year in the draft. This year is no different. As a Pacific Northwesterner, I have been able to see Jake Locker in action a number of times and can tell you that he looked to be a prototype. His last two games have shown that he may be a prototypical bust. All I have been able to see of Luck or Mallet are highlight reels. They are both very, very impressive looking and worthy of top 5 picks based on their highlights. Whether or not that translates is anyones guess. All this means is that QB is a crapshoot in the draft in many instances. We can see things that they do and ways they react in the college game, but that doesn't mean that the stronger, faster NFL game won't change it all. They described Leaf as having pocket presence and strength, and they were both gone in his first series on an NFL field.

I like Luck, Mallet, and Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick is going to gain popularity and start commanding serious interest. I think he'll find himself in the 1st round of the draft too.

I'll bet you 100 dollars that Kaepernick doesn't sniff the 1st round ever. He plays in a gimmicky offense, he's rail thin, has never taken a snap under center. He has a funny throwing motion. He is an athlete playing Quarterback. He will be drafted at another position not named Quarterback in my opinion just like Matt Jones, Brad Smith, Antwaan Randel El etc. Kaepernick is not a future NFL Quarterback.