How did promising pre-season go so horribly wrong?

truth on hold

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year in the preseason, the offense couldn't move the ball, couldn't score, and looked so pathetic they cut their LT and fired their OC before week 1. Then they went out, looked solid and should've beaten New England on the road on national TV, and then scored 33 at home vs. Tampa and were 1-1.

This year in the preseason, they looked good...Offense moved the ball, Roscoe looked dynamic, Trent looked confident, and Spiller looked like a great pick. Then, they lay two eggs against real competition and are 0-2.

Basically, THE PRESEASON DOESN'T MEAN A THING.

The Bills knew this was a rebuilding year. They knew their line still had question marks. They knew that the decade's franchise QB wasn't on the roster. They knew the personell didn't quite fit the new 3-4 defense.

Why didn't you know??? What were you expecting??? I realize fans were hoping for, at the very least, some competance on offense. But it's much easier to run offense when teams don't watch film or game plan for you. And we have had enough of a sample size on Edwards at this point to know that he doesn't have it.

So...Did it go 'horribly wrong' or is it going exactly as expected? I say the latter.

Just remember:

6-10 + getting rid of Jauron = AT LEAST 8-8

Perry Fewell went 3-4, actually 2-4 and the Indy semi-forfeit. So all the people who thought Chan was a huge upgrade were probably wrong that Gailey was better than Fewell. I've never understood why some people think this coaching staff is an upgrade, especially the assistants. Among the assistants, the following guys had no NFL experience prior to this season: Ciano, Cortez, Cross, Daye, and Smith. Chan & this staff is the stopgap until we can get enough players to attract a real head coach & coaching staff. The combination of our schedule, a decade of bad drafts resulting in no impact players, the horrible QB situation etc made anyone who took the coaching job a guaranteed loser in 2010. Some would call the true believers optimists, but there's a difference between attainable optimism & the unattainable. The dreamers of a better record than last year were ignoring reality, blaming it all on Jauron. While Jauron may have been responsible for some of our bad draft choices, I don't see Gailey and his staff as an upgrade on the field. People magically forgot that Gailey was in the same place in KC that Schonert was in Buffalo-Offensive Coordinator fired before the opening game in 2009. Imagine our reaction if Schonert had been named a head coach of another NFL team-now the Chan believers can think about Gailey more clearly.

I honestly don't know. For the answer to that, we'd have to see the transcript from Chan Gailey's late night hunched-over, head-in-hands mumble-to-himself sessions.

I imagine it's something along the lines of, "Oh, sweet Jesus, what have I got myself into. No talent, no effort. I've made a terrible mistake!"

In that vein.

More like: "DANG! If ah only coulda beat Georgia jus one tahm....."

Maybe you need to drink another 6-pack? You may have been the only person in America that thought the season was promising...unless you were hoping for the #1 pick next year?

On Mike and Mike just now they were going thru the 0-2 teams to see who still had a shot at the playoffs. They got to Bills last and all they said was " ... that's sad. It's just become a horrible situation there."

It's horrible because they haven't drafted a QB since Jim Kelly...it's a quarterback league...without a quarterback...the rest is hopeless...

Maybe you need to drink another 6-pack? You may have been the only person in America that thought the season was promising...unless you were hoping for the #1 pick next year?

It's horrible because they haven't drafted a QB since Jim Kelly...it's a quarterback league...without a quarterback...the rest is hopeless...

Are poster simply ignorant, or just liars?

Granted, I'm no fan of the post-Kelly QBs, but to say the Bills haven't drafted a QB since Kelly is just not true. It's hard to take posts seriously when the poster seems clueless as to what is going on.

we played a super bowl quality team at for their home opener and stunk in week one with a new offense etc.

If we would have played Carolina and Rams we could be 2-0 and think everything is okay

One win at a time lets just get to 1-2

Good points...

I think everyone looked at Miami as an easy win, when in fact that Mike Nolan defense is currently one of the best in the NFL. The Dolphins beat the Vikings at Minnesota and intercepted Favre 3 times, which is more he threw all last season at home.

The Packers are a serious playoff contender, perhaps even a SB team. Clay Matthews looks to be early defensive MVP with 6 sacks in 2 games.

Tampa Bay and Kansas City are both 2-0, how much will that mean at the end of the season?

0 & 2 start.

Last in offense.

QB already benched.

Dead last in ESPN Power Rankings ... ESPN Power Ranking

Seriously what happened to Trent, Spiller, Roscoe on offense?

Defense creating turnovers?

Gailey's highly touted offensive game planning?

Quite simple. Our vanilla offense against their vanilla defense was up to the task. Throw in increased game speed and game planned schemes on defense and Trent was again exposed for not being a gamer. Part of being an NFL QB is getting your o-line into the right protection, changing the play when the defense has the coaches play covered, reading defenses and knowing who your best receiving option is even if it isn't your first read. Trent can't/didn't do any of those things. You really can discern everything you need to know about Trent from how Lee Evans talks around the subject. When asked what does Fitz do differently you look at the praise he AND TO have given for certain qualities and one can easily infer that Trent does not. All those things that a QB needs to be successful and needs even more so in difficult circumstances Trent doesn't have.

Edited by PDaDdy

Pittsburgh is 2-0 with wins over two very good teams without a starting QB. It's VERY difficult to win a championship without a Manning-Brees-Brady type QB, but there are ways to be a competitive, playoff-caliber team. The Bills have failed at all recipes for success.

You can't say they haven't tried to fill the QB gap. They just haven't been successful.

The difficult part about not having a QB is filling the coaching gap. No coach with a successful track record, who is in demand, would come to a franchise where the QB situation is in doubt. You're stuck with second-tier retreads and young coordinators looking for a promotion. That's been their problem since 2001.

Actually, an unscientific poll revealed a majority of posters had Bills over Fins. I for one didn't take the Fins so lightly, however I was expecting a better looking offense than the crap we've put out.

Perry Fewell went 3-4, actually 2-4 and the Indy semi-forfeit. So all the people who thought Chan was a huge upgrade were probably wrong that Gailey was better than Fewell. I've never understood why some people think this coaching staff is an upgrade, especially the assistants. Among the assistants, the following guys had no NFL experience prior to this season: Ciano, Cortez, Cross, Daye, and Smith. Chan & this staff is the stopgap until we can get enough players to attract a real head coach & coaching staff. The combination of our schedule, a decade of bad drafts resulting in no impact players, the horrible QB situation etc made anyone who took the coaching job a guaranteed loser in 2010. Some would call the true believers optimists, but there's a difference between attainable optimism & the unattainable. The dreamers of a better record than last year were ignoring reality, blaming it all on Jauron. While Jauron may have been responsible for some of our bad draft choices, I don't see Gailey and his staff as an upgrade on the field. People magically forgot that Gailey was in the same place in KC that Schonert was in Buffalo-Offensive Coordinator fired before the opening game in 2009. Imagine our reaction if Schonert had been named a head coach of another NFL team-now the Chan believers can think about Gailey more clearly.

Will I remain skeptical about Gailey and his staff in of ever producing a playoff caliber team, and agree that Gailey was just fired as an OC because his offense went 2-14 you can't compare the guy to Turk Schonert. as Schonert was never anything more then a career back up QB and then QB coach before becoming the Bills OC..

Nix made his bed by hiring Gailey, plus he made his bed by not drafting a top RT-LT-WR-QB with the first 3 picks in this years draft. Then he boldly states he is going to get some sleep as free agency begins, when he does finally wake up he signs Cornell Green. Perhaps there was a reason he was never a GM previous to this job.

Both Nix and Gailey have a lot to prove this season and so far things are not looking good to anybody but the fans comfortable with the thought that this is a rebuilding year...the Bills have been in a rebuilding mode for the last 10 years

I look at the Redskins who were in almost the exact same situation as Buffalo, new HC,new staff and changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 . Bruce Allen GM and Mike Shanahan HC of the Redskins made the right moves to improve their team asap.

I simply don't get why Nix / Gailey ignored so many positions on the worst area of the team last season, makes no sense

Let me add one last thing to the OP question:

Most of the Trent haters on this board call the guy captain checkdown, which is true he does check down a lot. Funny thing is that Captain checkdown has been sacked 7 times in two games and he has been getting rid of the ball usually withing 2-3 seconds. What does that tell you about the play of the offensive line. This year with no injury excuse everyone can see how bad that line actually is...or perhaps the Bills just played against two really great 3-4 defenses, time will tell.

Edited by Harvey lives

Will I remain skeptical about Gailey and his staff in of ever producing a playoff caliber team, and agree that Gailey was just fired as an OC because his offense went 2-14 you can't compare the guy to Turk Schonert. as Schonert was never anything more then a career back up QB and then QB coach before becoming the Bills OC..

Nix made his bed by hiring Gailey, plus he made his bed by not drafting a top RT-LT-WR-QB with the first 3 picks in this years draft. Then he boldly states he is going to get some sleep as free agency begins, when he does finally wake up he signs Cornell Green. Perhaps there was a reason he was never a GM previous to this job.

Both Nix and Gailey have a lot to prove this season and so far things are not looking good to anybody but the fans comfortable with the thought that this is a rebuilding year...the Bills have been in a rebuilding mode for the last 10 years

I look at the Redskins who were in almost the exact same situation as Buffalo, new HC,new staff and changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 . Bruce Allen GM and Mike Shanahan HC of the Redskins made the right moves to improve their team asap.

I simply don't get why Nix / Gailey ignored so many positions on the worst area of the team last season, makes no sense

Let me add one last thing to the OP question:

Most of the Trent haters on this board call the guy captain checkdown, which is true he does check down a lot. Funny thing is that Captain checkdown has been sacked 7 times in two games and he has been getting rid of the ball usually withing 2-3 seconds. What does that tell you about the play of the offensive line. This year with no injury excuse everyone can see how bad that line actually is...or perhaps the Bills just played against two really great 3-4 defenses, time will tell.

Don't forget that was the last stages of the dreaded Herm Edwards regime, other than Jauron perhaps the worst NFL coach in recent memory.

Quite simple. Our vanilla offense against their vanilla defense was up to the task. Throw in increased game speed and game planned schemes on defense and Trent was again exposed for not being a gamer. Part of being an NFL QB is getting your o-line into the right protection, changing the play when the defense has the coaches play covered, reading defenses and knowing who your best receiving option is even if it isn't your first read. Trent can't/didn't do any of those things. You really can discern everything you need to know about Trent from how Lee Evans talks around the subject. When asked what does Fitz do differently you look at the praise he AND TO have given for certain qualities and one can easily infer that Trent does not. All those things that a QB needs to be successful and needs even more so in difficult circumstances Trent doesn't have.

but our coach says there is no difference between the 3 QBs.

Lee must be mistaken.

Don't forget that was the last stages of the dreaded Herm Edwards regime, other than Jauron perhaps the worst NFL coach in recent memory.

I've heard that excuse over and over by Bills fans in denial that they all want to blame Herman Edwards for that horrid 2-14 KC season, granted he was the HC and the buck stops with him. It also tells me that Chan Gailey has to take some responsibility for not finding a way for that offense to win more then 2 games.

Herman Edwards was 54-74 and that 3 year stint in KC really killed his career, don't forget he had his teams in the playoffs 4 times in 9 years, Jauron had his team in the playoffs ONCE in 9 1/2 years

Pittsburgh is 2-0 with wins over two very good teams without a starting QB. It's VERY difficult to win a championship without a Manning-Brees-Brady type QB, but there are ways to be a competitive, playoff-caliber team. The Bills have failed at all recipes for success.

You can't say they haven't tried to fill the QB gap. They just haven't been successful.

The difficult part about not having a QB is filling the coaching gap. No coach with a successful track record, who is in demand, would come to a franchise where the QB situation is in doubt. You're stuck with second-tier retreads and young coordinators looking for a promotion. That's been their problem since 2001.

Pittsburgh isn't winning games because of their offence or QB play, they are winning because their defence is one of the best and is shutting down other teams.

Having a great QB makes a bad o-line much better, having a great o-line won't make up for having a mediocre QB. Having a dominant Defence makes up for having an inept offence. The Ravens, Jets, and Steelers have all won games (past or present) because they have defences that can dominate opposing teams offences

Right now the Bills don't have a great o-line, or a great QB that can make up for that. They also don't have a dominating defence that can make up for an inept offence and thats why they are 0-2 right now.

its still early, when the defence gets more experience in the new system, and if Gailey can get the offence clicking a bit, the Bills will be back to a .500 team this year and moves will be made this offseason to build off of what they have, now that they have a better idea of what they need and who isn't going to work in their new systems. Some teams can rebuild quicker, for the short term, by throwing money around (Redskins, Jets), some have to rely on a slower rebuild process through the draft and trying to find "diamonds in the rough" in FA. When a team has to change members of its coaching staff it just ends up taking longer cause new coaches means new systems