With The 1st Pick of The 2011 Draft Buffalo Takes ????

T master

Here is an interesting question.

If the Bills do get a very high draft pick (top 3) and then we dont have football next season due to a lockout, how does that affect the draft order for the 2012 season?

Would we get the same high draft pick?? Does the CBA dictate whether we have rights to the player we drafted in 2011?

My understanding is that players in the draft are not actually members of the NFLPA until they are drafted and sign a contract so the Draft is not covered by the CBA. There will be a draft in 2011 and 2012 regardless of whether or not there is a season and I remember someone from the NFL saying that if there was no 2011 season the draft would go on and the draft order would remain that same as it was in 2011.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering what way the Bills fans would go if we had (or might i say) when we have the 1st pick in next years draft .

Not that i have lost all hope yet :cry: , but with the general thought in the media and around the league being what it is i'm trying to be realistic .

I for one am thinking our best pick would be Ryan Mallet (if he comes out) he's got a strong arm - gun slinger type mentality - tall and athletic , the only short coming that i've read about is he needs to work on his accuracy .

Jake Lockers stock is dropping pretty quickly seeing his performance this ear has been less than stellar . If Mallets not there at #1 then i'm not sure where i'd go.

But i know you all will tell me where to go cause i always feel the love from the Bills faithful .

So what's your pick ?????

No One...According George Wilson (Bills Union Rep) they are planning for a lockout. Also, it doesn't matter, we will be the first team to not be able to sign their #1 before the October deadline which will cause that player to go back into the draft. Oh and it gets better...the Bills FO is just dumb enough to draft the same guy #1 overall again!!! :lol:

...And Jim Plunkett did OK too, so he might not be on that list. :beer:

That's true, but it took him awhile. Because QBs are generally expected to succeed much more quickly (probably due to the exorbitant salaries) in today's NFL he would have been declared a bust and (possibly) out of the league. The 2010 equivalent would be if Alex Smith went down with an injury in San Francisco and David Carr took over and lead them to a Super Bowl title and then another in 3 years. Plunkett's resurgence was crazy and truly one of the great stories in NFL history.

The Buffalo Bills select, Gemma Ward, super model, Australia:

http://ramascreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/GemmaWard1.jpg

I know, she can't play football worth a dam but neither can any of our other draft picks so why the F not? At least she has hair like Tom Brady if not his arm.

My, oh My, Oh My :D

How is your bolded statement unique to the QB position? What did Aaron Maybin do last season to help the Bills improve their record? What has Spiller done so far this year to help the Bills win games? Leodis McKelvin looks good now, but I don't remember him setting the world on fire as a rookie CB. Even Orlando Pace often struggled as a rookie.

The difference between the emphasis (over-emphasis I would say in a game I adore because it is a TEAM game rather an overfocus on one individual) on the QB and other positions like the DE is clear:

1. To some extent the focus on the QB is natural and even real as the QB is handling the ball on virtually every offensive play. However, good QB play at most is necessary but not sufficient to make a team a winner but many fans stoked by the NFL publicity machine which attempts to emphasize a single player as a personality often focuses on the QB as though he is the single (or only factor making the team a winner). There is a good marketing reason for promoting the QB as THE singularly important player but do you not realize this is different that there being the best football reason. The QB is important but simply not the sole important or as important as he is often made out to be. Jimbo was great but any Bills fan knew Reich could hold his own for as many as three games nor were they utterly shocked when it was Reich who QB'ed the win in the greatest game ever played (we were all shocked by that game but it was not a shock than when it happened it was not our overhyped QB Jimbo.

2. This promotion machine leads to inordinate pressure and not enough time to be often be given to the young QB.

3. There is often slotting of contracts, but when the slots get broken it often appears to be a premium payment to QBs and teams often seem to stretch to get a guy like TC who then was rushed into a starting role when he clearly need the happy feet trained out of him.

4. Maybin is certainly drawing a lot of disrespect but it is nothing compared to the vitriol directed to failed QBa like Losman or Edwards. This is a clear difference.

On the face of it I think the difference between the level of scrutiny and import given on a player like McKelvin, Maybin and even later selections like Edwards.