Roscoe in for Stevie

AllDayADay

Everyone is harping on the one play where Johnson short armed the ball. He did, clearly.

But you also have to admit that Trent, and to some degree Gailey, hung him out to dry as well.

Coming across the middle is a good way to get crushed, particularly playing a team like GB.

Now add in the fact that the ball was way out in front of him and he would have needed to stretch out pretty freaking far to catch that ball. Against that GB defense that isn't a good way to get crushed, it's a good way to get killed.

Ya and NFL recievers are expected to make that catch

I need to see film, but IIRC a defender was crossing straight toward Johnson, which looked to me like the reason Johnson stopped short on his route. I also saw Parrish about five yards down and to SJ's left, more open than Stevie. I didn't see Trent hanging SJ out to dry the way Flutie used to do to his receivers, but this wasn't cut-and-dried either. Reading some of the latest articles on concussions makes me think twice about the "tough-guy" mentality that we seem to overvalue in terms of the ability to take open-field hits, too. He can and should run the pattern, and to some extent these guys are always putting their bodies on the line, but there are greater and lesser risks for lasting damage. It's always a judgment call.

You know, if we're out on the field making judgement calls about whether to go full-out for the ball, that could go a way to explain our record.

Other teams make plays. We make judgement calls. Yeah.

You know, if we're out on the field making judgement calls about whether to go full-out for the ball, that could go a way to explain our record.

Other teams make plays. We make judgement calls. Yeah.

Kevin Everett went all out to try to make a play. Just sayin'. I'm not saying they shouldn't give it their best shot, but I can say it's human to see Clay Matthews staring you down and yourself fully exposed to the hit and stop short for a second. It's different for a receiver in traffic than it is for a QB who has even a minimum of protection and time to evaluate.

Plus, if dude gets his bell rung or worse is he really helping his team?

Part of a QB's job is to make sure he doesn't get his guys killed by hanging them out there with a bad throw that puts them in a bad spot. The glove wearing Mary couldn't wait to get the football out of his hands on almost every snap and that throw to Johnson was a good example.