OK.....This QB Situation Is Easier To Understand Than People Make it.

sven233

The key to playing QB is to have that "IT" factor. That "IT" factor is actually a lot of little things put together, but it mainly includes the ability to adjust to every situation, every defense, make the throws that the defense is giving you, and have the ability to lead your team when things are not going well. There are a lot of QBs in the NFL.....not many have that "IT" factor to be great. It is not easy to find a QB that has all of these qualities. The key is finding a QB with the most of these qualities as possible. Edwards, and Losman for that matter didn't have enough of these traits to be a great NFL QB.

And the ability to make big plays and long drives when the odds are against you. This is why we should have traded down for Tebow or traded for Roethlisberger or McNabb or get Vic. Hopefully Luck comes out and we can get him because he has "IT" and we don't. :wallbash:

I guess I probably wasn't as clear on that as I should have been. What I meant by that is when you watch the Top QBs in the league (Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, etc.) they seem to adapt their game to what they are seeing on the field. For example, just watching Rodgers last week against the Bills makes this point. There were a couple of occasions where the defense tried things they probably shouldn't have. For example, the Bills had Kelsay matched up man on man with Finley! Rodgers immediately noticed this (the Bills gave him the match-up) and he took advantage of it in a big way. Then, on other occasions, the Bills played straight man to man with a nickle package and Rodgers recognized this and took off running making huge plays with his feet.....again taking what the defense was giving him.

Maybe "taking what the defense is giving them" was not quite the right term. Maybe I should have said "HAVING THE ABILITY TO READ THE DEFENSE BEFORE THE SNAP AND FIND THE FAVORABLE MATCH-UPS TO BE ABLE TO MAKE QUICK DECISIONS AS SOON AS THE DROP IS COMPLETE." In Trent's case, the defense did give him stuff.......he just refused to take it most of the time because he played scared. We'll just wait and see where things go from here. But, my point was that there were plays open for Trent, he just couldn't make a decision to save his life.

That's a great response. AR picking on kelsay and knowing where certain defenders were on the field is a great example. Trent didn't seem to have awareness of this against the 3-4. Where they're sending pressure, there's got to be a guy available- or you MAKE him available by audibling.

I've seen a lot of Trent's on the range at golf tournaments.

If any of you watch or play competitive golf you see "Trent's" on the range all the time. Basically they're good guys who hit the ball extremely well. Every shot is well struck and straight. They can spend all day raking and swinging and rarely do they look bad.

The trouble starts when they get to the firs tee. For whatever reason they just can't repeat the swing that serves them so well on the range. Inevitably their first drive is either pull hooked into the woods or pushed OB and their round is over before it started. Oh sure, they'll hit a great shot now and then, maybe even string a few good holes together but in the end, the collapse is only moments away.

I wish Trent well, I just don't want him to be our QB ever again.

Perfect analogy, Mike. This is probably the best way for us golfers to relate. The preseason and practice doesn't count - when he gets on the field in a game where everything matters, the pressure is probably getting to him too much.

I think a lot of this has to do with the 2008 concussion and a couple of subsequent games after he returned. If I recall correctly, the Bills went 5-1 after a win vs San Diego (I was at that game), then Trent played a horrid game against Miami. A lot of his downfield attempts were either well-defended or picked off. Against the Jets a week later, he threw a pick-6 while deep in their territory (while moving the ball well) and has been gun-shy ever since.

I don't know how much coaching can help him - I actually thought Gailey would be able to instill confidence, but apparently not.

How do I "Lean" to edit? Way to back up your post.

Took me 2 seconds to read your post and less to realize you are an idiot!

Ha! Busted. You got me.

I love when people criticize and then make mistakes.

But seriously...you could have easily just said this.

Our Oline sucks.

Our WRs are pathetic.

Trent looks good in preseason when the bullets aren't flying as fast.

But in regular season, he doesn't process what's happening in front of him fast enough to play behind this line.

And he doesn't throw to receivers unless they are wide open.

Fitz's sees the play develop faster.

Because he's willing to throw the ball deep, it may help open up our running game.

And his mobility may allow him to extend plays where Trent would get sacked.

However, he's inaccurate, and some of the risks he takes backfire, so there's a good chance his positives will be neutralized, and the net effect of the QB switch will be nil.

But it should be more exciting to watch.

Thanks for the kind words!

As for Fitz, I do believe he will give us a better chance to win, but I am not sure how many we will. Last year, overall, our schedule was pretty easy. This year is definitely a step up in the competition side of things. So, while I do think the coaching is drastically improved, I don't think it will be enough to overcome the holes on the team. We are weak at OT, we have no true #2 WR, our only true pass catching TE is out for the next 2 weeks, and our defense, while not playing as bad as I thought they might, will struggle some as time goes along. Right now they are running a mix of 3-4 and 4-3, but the problem is, they don't have the personnel to run either the way they need to be run. They are in transition and there is still a lot of turnover needed there, especially at LB. All that said, we will win some games. Honestly I hope it is not too many. We have been average for too long and it has contributed to us not getting better faster. For once, i wouldn't mind bottoming out so we can get our QB of the future. I want us to be able to pick the guy we want out of all the QBs that come out. So, while I want the Bills to play better, since we can't win the Super Bowl this year, I would be more than willing to sacrifice a decent yer this year to get better next year. I want to win the Super Bowl. The only way to do that is to get good players. Hopefully no matter where we end up picking in the draft next year, the front office makes the right picks. We'll see!

Your analysis of the situation was excellent. You are one of the few people on this message board who have a strong feel for the game of football. But DON'T overlook what Fitzie brings to the table. The guy has a tremendous amount of moxie. I think that Gailey will be able to open up the playbook a whole lot more with him at QB because he understands what is happening on the field. Watch the Bills-Colts game in the snowstorm last year. Sure the Colts did not have a lot to play for, but Fitzie was right on with most of his passes. He understands how the parts of an offense work together. And if his accuracy is decent (a big if I know) we will have a chance to move the ball, pressure the opposing defense in every game. Also, Trent can not throw any of the vertical routes up the seam. He was always too scared to throw it. (ie-the horrible decision to throw to Stevie instead of Parrish on the 3rd and 6 late in the first half at GB) This is the bread and butter plays of most offenses-stretching the field vertically. Fitzie can do this. If the O line can man up in the slightest, this will be Fitzie's team by the bye week. Because I think starting against NE you will see a completely different attitude amongst everyone on the team-O,D, and coaching staff knowing that we are not hamstrung by Edwards inability to function on the field. You know that the entire team saw that the past two weeks, and wanted this change.

I've made my peace with the Bills for this year: I am considering the entire 2010 season as one long preseason.

I hope they experiment with each position until they know who stays and who goes, find what positions they need to strengthen, and where they have to start from the ground up--players, administrators, coaches--the whole outfit. In a sense, the Bills are playing in a parallel season alongside actual NFL teams with real NFL players. Maybe after a year or two of this approach, the Bills can go 6 - 10 by 2012.

I don't know what is longer; this post or the Old Testament. Holy crap...did you really need to post this? Blah, blah, blah,....Trent Edwards is better in practice than he is in the game. The coaches based his status on the practice and changed their minds when he played like a timid child in dodge ball. This is why we are playing another crappy quarterback instead of this crappy quarterback.

I had to stop reading after the second paragraph. I wish I stopped after reading your first sentence. But, I'm guessing I summed your Doctoral Thesis up in a fairly accurate way. Yikes.

While Fitz has the potential to win a few games this year, as he did last year, are we satisfied with that? I was hoping to see Brohm, to see if he has anything to offer, or if he was truly a wasted GB pick. Leaving him on the bench only means we are taking a QB in the first next year, as Fitz is a nice backup but he will never be anything more. Also by winning a few with Fitz we move farther away from the Plum QB we will need. If on the otherhand Brohm plays and sucks, we are poised to get the QB of our choice, or if he developes into a franchise type QB, it would allow the Bills to address another glaring need with our 1st pick. I'm just getting tired of 6 and 10. Be brave and roll the dice. How much worse can it get?

I agree with eveything you said in the post, I would like to add that Chan must have been really FRUSTRADED with the way Trent was too scared to do anything with whatever play he just called, to pull him out just after two games. I mean it´s really hard after you have made such a big desition to change directions that fast. Chan knows this makes him look really bad, he is supposed to be the great offensive Guru and now people are thinking he can´t even pick a QB.

I agree with eveything you said in the post, I would like to add that Chan must have been really FRUSTRADED with the way Trent was too scared to do anything with whatever play he just called, to pull him out just after two games. I mean it´s really hard after you have made such a big desition to change directions that fast. Chan knows this makes him look really bad, he is supposed to be the great offensive Guru and now people are thinking he can´t even pick a QB.

After watching the first two games a couple of times, it is evident that Chan's game plans were right on. It is also evident that Edwards either could not or would not execute them properly. Chan's reaction at the 6:20 mark of the second period against GB, 3rd and 13, it is obvious Chan expected TE to throw to an open receiver downfield and not to CJ as a safety valve. That is when TE lost his coach IMHO.

I don't know what is longer; this post or the Old Testament. Holy crap...did you really need to post this? Blah, blah, blah,....Trent Edwards is better in practice than he is in the game. The coaches based his status on the practice and changed their minds when he played like a timid child in dodge ball. This is why we are playing another crappy quarterback instead of this crappy quarterback.

I had to stop reading after the second paragraph. I wish I stopped after reading your first sentence. But, I'm guessing I summed your Doctoral Thesis up in a fairly accurate way. Yikes.

Thanks.......I am sure your total of 8 posts (including this one) brings a lot of credibility to this forum!

Fact is, long time members of this board appreciate the time, effort, opinions, and analysis I bring to this board.

Oh, and at least my post was able to get you to comment on it in one way or another. Take your 8 posts to another board or forum if you don't like it. This is a football board. We are talking football. Don't like it, leave. Nobody forced you to respond to this post. Don't want to read it, then don't. I know some people's reading speed and comprehension is pretty low. If what I said takes you too long to get through, that is your issue. Just don't read. Find shorter posts to read.

As for everyone else, thank you for your responses. I know that we are all kind of in the same place. We want the Bills to play much better, but only better enough to put us in a position to get our choice of our new QB of the future. I am not sure how many wins that will end up being, but probably not too many. There are some other bad teams in this league, so it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I guess as long as the teams that finish worse than we do this year don't need a QB, we will be OK. But there will be a few bad teams looking for 1. Going to be an interesting year one way or another!

Your analysis of the situation was excellent. You are one of the few people on this message board who have a strong feel for the game of football. But DON'T overlook what Fitzie brings to the table. The guy has a tremendous amount of moxie. I think that Gailey will be able to open up the playbook a whole lot more with him at QB because he understands what is happening on the field. Watch the Bills-Colts game in the snowstorm last year. Sure the Colts did not have a lot to play for, but Fitzie was right on with most of his passes. He understands how the parts of an offense work together. And if his accuracy is decent (a big if I know) we will have a chance to move the ball, pressure the opposing defense in every game. Also, Trent can not throw any of the vertical routes up the seam. He was always too scared to throw it. (ie-the horrible decision to throw to Stevie instead of Parrish on the 3rd and 6 late in the first half at GB) This is the bread and butter plays of most offenses-stretching the field vertically. Fitzie can do this. If the O line can man up in the slightest, this will be Fitzie's team by the bye week. Because I think starting against NE you will see a completely different attitude amongst everyone on the team-O,D, and coaching staff knowing that we are not hamstrung by Edwards inability to function on the field. You know that the entire team saw that the past two weeks, and wanted this change.

Thanks! Appreciate it. I love the game and have been studying it closely for a long time. Although what I said in this post was pretty obvious to a lot of people, I do try to bring my experience when I can. I have a passion for the game.

As for Fitz, I am willing to give him a chance. I think we pretty much know what we have in him, but I am interested to see just how different the offense looks with him running it. It is almost impossible for him to be worse than Trent, so I expect better. I will be most interested to see how much better he makes our O-Line. I know, the O-Line is still lacking, but I think if he comes out and stretches the field and gets some of these defenses away from stacking the LOS, that all of a sudden, the O-Line looks a little better. We'll see, though. Going to be tough trying to get this team going with the Cheatriots* this week and the Jets next week. But I am just looking for some signs of life from this team. If we get that, we'll go from there.

I still dont get it?????????????

Just joking, that was very good and have believed the same thing. One other person described Trent as might having an illness, and they were not joking. I agree. Sabre fans might remember Clint Malarchuk. He was the goalie who got his neck slashed open back in 88-89. He was great goalie until the playoffs. He never won a playoff game. No one could figure it out....

Fact is, long time members of this board appreciate the time, effort, opinions, and analysis I bring to this board.

yep.

As for everyone else, thank you for your responses. I know that we are all kind of in the same place. We want the Bills to play much better, but only better enough to put us in a position to get our choice of our new QB of the future. I am not sure how many wins that will end up being, but probably not too many.

As for Fitz, I am willing to give him a chance. I think we pretty much know what we have in him, but I am interested to see just how different the offense looks with him running it. It is almost impossible for him to be worse than Trent, so I expect better. I will be most interested to see how much better he makes our O-Line. I know, the O-Line is still lacking, but I think if he comes out and stretches the field and gets some of these defenses away from stacking the LOS, that all of a sudden, the O-Line looks a little better. We'll see, though. Going to be tough trying to get this team going with the Cheatriots* this week and the Jets next week. But I am just looking for some signs of life from this team. If we get that, we'll go from there.

Trent Edwards is a puzzle. He's got most of what it takes to be a very good QB, but somehow is missing the necessary part to even make a good QB. I agree with you're original post about the differences between practice version and the game-time TE. He's got the physical tools, the mental understanding of what's supposed to happen, and is even a reasonable leader in the good character sense. However he doesn't have that lasso in hand, riding-that-bronco-to-victory leadership. He won't take chances and shrinks under the bright lights. No gunslinger is he.

One other sad thing is that TE does well is what most QB's never learn (remember JP?), and that is to checkdown to a RB or TE so that there is some chance for a positive play. However, for that to work there has to exist the threat that he'll throw over the top of the middle level of defender, and he doesn't have it. With no threat, the defenders bait him into checking down in front of them and it's an easy stop. His unwillingness to throw beyond 6 yards means he's the easiest QB in the world to defend. Which therefore makes our team the easiest to defend. I dislike a lot of cheap labels assigned to players, but he sure has earned his moniker.

I'm also curious as to Fitzy under Chan. I think it'll be a more exciting ride. However, I just feel that he's too inaccurate to be an NFL QB. I think that'll be his undoing this year. I expect that Chan will eventually give Brohm a chance. Especially if we're still not winning enough games with Fitzy. There's the chance that Brohm is a gamer and will perform better in the games than in practice...

From what I've seen of Chan Gailey in two games is that he's going to tinker. We're going to see a lot of it this year as he tries to find some combinations of things that work. The results may end up be the same, but it won't be Jauron's more of the same play with little hope.