TMQ calls it like it is

ACor58

Green Bay's Clay Matthews recorded three sacks for the second consecutive week. Buffalo's drafting has been awful for a decade, but a specific reason the Bills are so bad this year is that in the 2009 draft, needing a pass-rushing linebacker, they wasted the 11th overall choice on Aaron Maybin, who has yet to record a sack as a pro. Maybin was expected to be a second- or third-round choice; I was sitting with a group of fairly knowledgeable football people on the day of the draft, and they actually laughed when Buffalo chose Maybin so high. In order to select Maybin, Buffalo passed on Brian Orakpo and Matthews, both pass-rushing linebackers who made the Pro Bowl as rookies and are playing red-hot again this season. Sunday, Matthews was fantastic and Maybin was invisible. You can't throw high first-round draft choices out the window and expect to win in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/100921_tuesday_morning_quarterback

The Bills really are the Raiders of the east

To be fair -- and although I panned the Maybin pick relentlessly and still can't believe they made such a bone-headed choice -- I never read any mock draft that had Maybin dropping to the second or third round.

Edited by GOBILLS78

The truth hurts. I know people are tired of hearing about Orakpo/Matthews vs Maybin, but I want to see the Bills reminded of that decision as often as possible. Hopefully repeated public shaming leads to accountability (who was responsible for the Maybin intel?) leads to change.

Edited by Ozymandius

Maybin reminds me of that one skinny highschool player we see every year on any team who wears huge pads to make him look bigger then he really is.....and pumps his chest when he lands on top of the pile.

but he also looks like an etheopian (sp?) trying to play football....

While I must agree it hurts to see Orakpo and Matthews play like gangbangers, my biggest issue is that Maybin has barely seen the field! Just like the McCargo (Spiller pick following the trend) they rarely see the field. I'd rather lose developing young talent taking the lumps than to add a few meaningless wins here or there playing with aging vets with no upside. You can not tell me that Maybin can do much worse than Kelsay has the first two games. Sure he will make mistakes but he has the upside to be better. When they bring the kid in they put him at his worse position: DE with his hand on the ground! I thought he was suppose to be an OLB in the 3-4; when has he actually lined up as one? If Matthews played for the Bills he'd probably be stuck behind Kelsay as well! Maybin as well as Brohm, Spiller,a young RT should be taking at least half the snaps!

To be fair -- and although I panned the Maybin pick relentlessly and still can't believe they made such a bone-headed choice -- I never read any mock draft that had Maybin dropping to the second or third round.

Yep. Revisionist history. I clearly recall people like Kiper touting Maybin as a stud. Maybe the people Easterbrook hangs with know better.

Oh looky, looky! Here's an ESPN 2009 mock draft: McShay - Maybin to Green Bay at #9, Kiper: Maybin to San Fran at #10! Gee.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Maybin reminds me of that one skinny highschool player we see every year on any team who wears huge pads to make him look bigger then he really is.....and pumps his chest when he lands on top of the pile.

Haha. That's a great visual. I know exactly what you're talking about. Don't forget about the neck pad!

Yep. Revisionist history. I clearly recall people like Kiper touting Maybin as a stud. Maybe the people Easterbrook hangs with know better.

Oh looky, looky! Here's an ESPN 2009 mock draft: McShay - Maybin to Green Bay at #9, Kiper: Maybin to San Fran at #10! Gee.

PTR

That assumes you think that McShay and Kiper are "knowledgeable" football people.

That assumes you think that McShay and Kiper are "knowledgeable" football people.

Just making the point that the pundits liked Maybin, even Easterbrook. Now of course he's running for cover. What's hilarious about his column is that Maybin would still be a bust drafted at any round, so his so-called NFL personnel people weren't any smarter.

PTR

Trading up for Losman, trading up for McCargo, taking Maybin in the first.

Yet.. not a bad record with low round and free agents, freaking strange.

Add Lynch, Poz, Whitner, McKelvin and Spiller to the wasted 1st round pick list.

None of them are difference makers and none of them are worthy of the spot they were drafted in.

Add Lynch, Poz, Whitner, McKelvin and Spiller to the wasted 1st round pick list.

None of them are difference makers and none of them are worthy of the spot they were drafted in.

I posted about a month or so back about the lack of starting 1st and 2nd round

picks of the Bills.

It was rather shocking.

Edited by SoCal-Surf