20-20 Hindsight Draft

Astrobot

Since there's nothing to do, pick a player in every first round picked after the Bills' pick since 2000. Here's my try:

2009-Clay Matthews LB

2008-Ryan Clady OT

2007-Darrelle Revis CB

2006-Haloti Ngata NT

2005-Aaron Rodgers QB

2004-Lee Evans WR and Benjamin Watson TE; RD2 Max Starks OT

2003-Dallas Clark TE; RD2 Anquan Boldin WR

2002-Dwight Freeney DE

2001-Reggie Wayne WR; RD2 Aaron Schobel DE

It's partly management, partly the players, and partly luck, but wow...what coulda woulda been...

Since there's nothing to do, pick a player in every first round picked after the Bills' pick since 2000. Here's my try:

2009-Clay Matthews LB

2008-Ryan Clady OT

2007-Darrelle Revis CB

2006-Haloti Ngata NT

2005-Aaron Rodgers QB

2002-Dwight Freeney DE

It's partly management, partly the players, and partly luck, but wow...what coulda woulda been...

Thanks a lot.

That, my friends, is what you call gross ineptitude and mismanagement. FML.

2009-Clay Matthews LB

2008-Ryan Clady OT

2007-Darrelle Revis CB

2006-Haloti Ngata NT

2005-Aaron Rodgers QB

2002-Dwight Freeney DE

I sometimes wonder if we had drafted these guys and other teams had drafted our guys, we would want our guys.

For instance, I guarantee you that if the Colts drafted Lee Evans, we would be salivating over that guy's stats. And if we had drafted Rodgers, he might look just as bad as Losman and Edwards out there for us. Ravens would have made Whitner look like a pro bowler; we would have made Ngata look like a scrub.

No 1st rounder in 2005. IF we hadn't traded up for JP & waited another year for the QB of the future, Rodgers would have fallen to us.

They could have also drafted Matt Schaub in the 2nd round in 2004, and kept their draft picks (one of which was used by Dallas to draft Demarcus Ware).

The thing that kills me is that most of this hindsight isn't really surprising. Maybin was universally recognized at a project. Schaub vs. Losman was debated extensively, with Schaub as being seen as more NFL-ready, while Losman had the higher upside. Ron Jaworski broke down Losman after the Bills drafted him, and his assessment wasn't favorable.

Many teams shy away from drafting DBs in the first round (McKelvin is good, but how much better is he than Jabari Greer?). And coming into this last draft, you'd be fighting a losing argument to say that RB was the Bills biggest need.

Some may say it's hindsight, but I see the Bills decisions more as avoidable mistakes.

Ron Jaworski broke down Losman after the Bills drafted him, and his assessment wasn't favorable.

I actually remember that.

Some may say it's hindsight, but I see the Bills decisions more as avoidable mistakes.

It is amazing how just one pick could have changed this team. The trenches have been ignored for so long. I am glad they took a look at the Dline by grabbing edwards and drafting troup, but no OLB for a pass rush?

I think so much of this team would look different if we took Oher over Maybin. Even if oher was just a really good RT... that would really open up the run game and we wouldn't rely on trent as much and let him screw up. Because right now, maybin is looking worthless.

And it is like you said, avoidable mistakes. Most fans wanted nagta over whitner, or orpako/oher/cushing over maybin. And it looks like the fans were right.

I don't know what to make of the spiller pick yet. I am glad we have a playmaker, but he hasn't shown that much and looks like he is going to be a reggie bush type player, outside of what we saw in preseason. And I am not sure who I would have picked over him.... but it wouldn't have been a QB or LT... I didn't like any of them 9th overall. But there were plenty of defensive players I would have picked over spillar.

No 1st rounder in 2005. IF we hadn't traded up for JP & waited another year for the QB of the future, Rodgers would have fallen to us.

Until you have a QB, you don't. If you pick a QB in round 1 and then there is a better one available to you a year later, you should take him.

The Bills have traded two first round picks for QB's since 1998, but only actually drafted one QB in the first round since 1983.

They have drafted 4 RB's in round 1 in the past 8 years.

WTF?

When you don't have a QB, you need to take chances. If the Bills had burned their last 7 first rounders on QB's how much worse would they be today?

While I agree that drafting the wrong players is part of the problem, fact is hiring the wrong coaching staff, scouts, front office personnel over and over again compounds the problem.

In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that had the Bills drafted all those players, they probably wouldn't have succeeded because the infrastructure surrounding them would have either A) stunted their development or B) failed to properly utilize their talents.

If there is anything the last ten years should have taught us, the problems of this team go much deeper than poor drafting. It starts in the offices at One Bills Drive.