Such a proud moment....

Magox

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the area's I'm concerned (environmental protection, worker safety, and product safety) German is as strict or stricter than the United States- In the area of finance Germany has reigned in leverage with increased capital requirements, has restricted some derivatives, and naked short selling.

I have nothing against high end bonuses when a company is doing better than industry averages on their merit - I'm against high end bonuses when the company or institution is receiving government support through- direct cash, the government buying assets for more than they're worth, or being able to borrow unlimited amounts of money at near zero interest. I also think that share-holders need a greater voice in management pay as I think there is a huge principal-agent problem in American business.

Well then I guess that makes you misinformed. WHy don't you do a quick google search of HYPO REAL ESTATE BONUSES.

And to your second point, Germany works with higher leverage than the U.S

As a matter of fact, the Germans were some of the fiercist critics of BASEL.

It appears that I am always correcting you. WHy is that?

Well then I guess that makes you misinformed. WHy don't you do a quick google search of HYPO REAL ESTATE BONUSES.

.. well, other than that, it's totally like he described ...

1. HYPO REAL ESTATE BONUSES.- So what. I have no expectations of finding a country that fits my standards, values and priorities perfectly unless I'm king of the Island of me. So I think they are wrong - pay out bonuses on your own dime I say not the tax payer's and there is nothing less I'm worried about that financial brain drain, I'd be worried if it was scientists, engineers, or health professionals but I think losing lawyers, Economists, and white shoe financial suits might be addition through subtraction - when or if they pay back the tax payers they can pay out a bonuses to their hearts content .

2. I made no comparison of German leverage as compared to U.S. leverage I said they were increasing capital requirements and reigning in leverage, if they completely thwart BASEL I'll be wrong.

3. Yeah the German BANKERS don't like it, I'm sure they will try to influence their government or anyone else to reduce proposed BASEL capital requirements or increase implementation time - I like how you said Germans like there were masses of Germans people protesting, we all know Bankers are not people - and I make no claim of what leverage ratio gives the optimum results between economic growth and risk, I think 9 to 1 or lower is too low, and 30 to 1 and higher is too high but I'll leave the exact ratio to unbiased experts- which does not include the Bankers who while maybe expert are hardly unbiased.

1. HYPO REAL ESTATE BONUSES.- So what. I have no expectations of finding a country that fits my standards, values and priorities perfectly unless I'm king of the Island of me. So I think they are wrong - pay out bonuses on your own dime I say not the tax payer's and there is nothing less I'm worried about that financial brain drain, I'd be worried if it was scientists, engineers, or health professionals but I think losing lawyers, Economists, and white shoe financial suits might be addition through subtraction - when or if they pay back the tax payers they can pay out a bonuses to their hearts content .

2. I made no comparison of German leverage as compared to U.S. leverage I said they were increasing capital requirements and reigning in leverage, if they completely thwart BASEL I'll be wrong.

3. Yeah the German BANKERS don't like it, I'm sure they will try to influence their government or anyone else to reduce proposed BASEL capital requirements or increase implementation time - I like how you said Germans like there were masses of Germans people protesting, we all know Bankers are not people - and I make no claim of what leverage ratio gives the optimum results between economic growth and risk, I think 9 to 1 or lower is too low, and 30 to 1 and higher is too high but I'll leave the exact ratio to unbiased experts- which does not include the Bankers who while maybe expert are hardly unbiased.

You do realize that Basel members are not regular bankers, but the countries' banking regulators? You know, the guys you site as unbiased experts.

You also realize that German landesbanks were among the biggest abusers of US subprime debt and were among the critical links in the global financial collapse?

You do realize that Basel members are not regular bankers, but the countries' banking regulators? You know, the guys you site as unbiased experts.

You also realize that German landesbanks were among the biggest abusers of US subprime debt and were among the critical links in the global financial collapse?

Oh, just stop it. International finance markets are international? And complex? That's just crazy talk...no one believes that.

Oh, just stop it. International finance markets are international? And complex? That's just crazy talk...no one believes that.

It is crazy. That's why it's utterly important to appoint a golly gee willickers head of an agency to remind evrybody that things would be fine if global bankers would simply stop acting like global bankers.

There is no doubt in my mind, that if Obama placed the sort of regulations, taxes and laws that you (huffingtonpost) prescribe to, we would permanently become a high unemployment, slow growth, lacking innovation and entrepreneurial spirit sort of economy.

See Europe....

Did you mean Europe excluding Germany- why don't you explain to me which parts of Europe I can or can not have as an example of the quality of life if all of my (Huffingtonpostesk)desires were met,

You do realize that Basel members are not regular bankers, but the countries' banking regulators? You know, the guys you site as unbiased experts. yeah I said "I'll leave the exact ratio to unbiased experts- which does not include the Bankers who while maybe expert are hardly unbiased" which allows for bankers who do not have a direct finical interest, that's what I meant by unbiased. I have a unqualified opinion of what the proper leverage ratio is but my guess is that eminently qualified experts will have differing opinions and will have to come to consensus, my hope is personal financial interest would be minimized.

You also realize that German landesbanks were among the biggest abusers of US subprime debt and were among the critical links in the global financial collapse? I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time finding a country that had banking and no banking problems does that mean I can't pick any of those countries? if you're against rape does that mean you can't think highly of any city where a rape has ever occurred- Ridiculous yes but only slightly more ridiculous than this line of questioning.

There is no doubt in my mind, that if Obama placed the sort of regulations, taxes and laws that you (huffingtonpost) prescribe to, we would permanently become a high unemployment, slow growth, lacking innovation and entrepreneurial spirit sort of economy.

See Europe....

To jump in here...

I think that is the problem with you. There is no doubt in your mind, but there really should be. The lack of doubt is why you are so wrong about so many of your stances. Doubt yourself more, it will make you a better man.

Edited by conner

To jump in here...

I think that is the problem with you. There is no doubt in your mind, but there really should be. The lack of doubt is why you are so wrong about so many of your stances. Doubt yourself more, it will make you a better man.

Yeah, you are just filled with self doubt.

To jump in here...

You don't have the slightest clue in what we are talking about Conner, this is a grown ups conversation .

Edited by Magox

To jump in here...

:blink:

That sounds like something Yoda would babble after a joint, a six pack, and some blow

To jump in here...

He's probably talking about the Dunning-Kruger Effect .

yeah I said "I'll leave the exact ratio to unbiased experts- which does not include the Bankers who while maybe expert are hardly unbiased" which allows for bankers who do not have a direct finical interest, that's what I meant by unbiased. I have a unqualified opinion of what the proper leverage ratio is but my guess is that eminently qualified experts will have differing opinions and will have to come to consensus, my hope is personal financial interest would be minimized.

So you want bankers who have no direct financial interest? And exactly what is that animal, person or thing?

Are you saying that central bankers have a personal financial interest in the banks they are regulating?

So you want bankers who have no direct financial interest? Ideally yes but it think I said minimized And exactly what is that animal, person or thing? Really hard to find

Are you saying that central bankers have a personal financial interest in the banks they are regulating?

Ideally no but generally speaking there is a revolving door between public regulating and private employment in the industry regulated, I'm not an idealist, I know there isn't now, or ever was, or ever will be a time of perfect purity of motives- I merely hope for the minimization of corruption with whatever weak measures we have to fight it.

Ideally no but generally speaking there is a revolving door between public regulating and private employment in the industry regulated, I'm not an idealist, I know there isn't now, or ever was, or ever will be a time of perfect purity of motives- I merely hope for the minimization of corruption with whatever weak measures we have to fight it.

And I want to eat ice cream all day and not get fat.

Good luck with your quest, pollyana

He's probably talking about the Dunning-Kruger Effect .

It's been a while since I've heard this term, and I would have to say that this perfectly describes you lybob, really.

Everytime you attempt to say something clever I feel obliged to point out your "misinformation" that you share with us. It's like an everyday thing between you and I. You parrot some huffingtonpost liberal extreme POV that is filled with inaccuracies, then I have to bring you down to earth by pointing out the facts. Like your example of how you hate big bonuses paid out to bailed out firms and you mentioned that Germany was a model that fit to your liking. The only problem was that Hypo RE paid out over 32 million to one of their employees, or how you implied that the US banks have too much leverage and you mentioned Germany being a good example of how banks should operate, where the reality is that they operated with considerably more leverage than the average US bank. I don't blame you though Lybob, it's what you read in Huffpo and other liberal media outlets, and it sounds catchy, and it's a way how disillusioned progressives such as yourself get to hedge their bets. You know Obama so far hasn't delivered on his vision of "hope" and "change", and now you want to say that he wasn't progressive enough. So you call him a fascist and corporatist, which of course is a view that is mimicked from the extreme left and it's a way of shielding your progressive beliefs by tearing down the most liberal "progressive" president we have had in over 50 years.

Your schtick doesn't fool me lybob, and I will continue to keep calling you out as I have been over the past few months...

And I want to eat ice cream all day and not get fat.

Good luck with your quest, pollyana

Muggings happen everyday too, and your never going to totally stop it, so you should never have a cop patrolling, or light a dark street, or try to find and arrest the mugger, or provide care for the victim - I may be Pollyana but you are pre-haunting Scrooge.

Muggings happen everyday too, and your never going to totally stop it, so you should never have a cop patrolling, or light a dark street, or try to find and arrest the mugger, or provide care for the victim - I may be Pollyana but you are pre-haunting Scrooge.

Holy non sequitur batman. Got any other great analogies, ariana?

It's been a while since I've heard this term, and I would have to say that this perfectly describes you lybob, really.

Everytime you attempt to say something clever I feel obliged to point out your "misinformation" that you share with us. It's like an everyday thing between you and I. You parrot some huffingtonpost liberal extreme POV that is filled with inaccuracies, then I have to bring you down to earth by pointing out the facts. Like your example of how you hate big bonuses paid out to bailed out firms and you mentioned that Germany was a model that fit to your liking. The only problem was that Hypo RE paid out over 32 million to one of their employees, or how you implied that the US banks have too much leverage and you mentioned Germany being a good example of how banks should operate, where the reality is that they operated with considerably more leverage than the average US bank. I don't blame you though Lybob, it's what you read in Huffpo and other liberal media outlets, and it sounds catchy, and it's a way how disillusioned progressives such as yourself get to hedge their bets. You know Obama so far hasn't delivered on his vision of "hope" and "change", and now you want to say that he wasn't progressive enough. So you call him a fascist and corporatist, which of course is a view that is mimicked from the extreme left and it's a way of shielding your progressive beliefs by tearing down the most liberal "progressive" president we have had in over 50 years.

Your schtick doesn't fool me lybob, and I will continue to keep calling you out as I have been over the past few months...

Project much?

"The only problem was that Hypo RE paid out over 32 million to one of their employees"- wrong they paid 32 mil total

and The spokesman (for Hypo) added that "no bonuses larger than 500,000 euro were handed out,"

but it doesn't matter that it's not as egregious as you made out I'm still against that lessor amount.

and do you think that there is some type of German consensus that this is a good thing?

"Politicians, meanwhile, have reacted with outrage to HRE's announcement and defense of the bonus payments.

Germany is shelling out for a 'zombie bank' say experts

Frank Schaeffler, a financial expert of the joint-governing Free Democrats, told the online edition of the daily Handelsblatt that it was "unfathomable" that the payments were being made, directing his criticism just as much at the Social Democrat-Christian Democrat coalition which was governing when HRE was rescued."

link

And again, you made the argument that 1. I walk in lock step with the Huffington Post positions- 2. that the results of these positions being fulfilled would be (gasp) a European quality of life - I said fine I'll take Germany, you know the Germany in Europe- again which European country can I have is Denmark OK - I get it, you lie awake nights fearing we'll end up like Canada or Iceland or Germany or England or France or Denmark, while I'm afraid we'll end up like Mexico, or Colombia.