The War on Poverty

/dev/null

It is truly a shame that in a country as rich, powerful, resourceful, and great as America, we still have half the people earning under the median annual income.

lol. Yes if everyone made exactly the same it would be utopia

It is truly a shame that in a country as rich, powerful, resourceful, and great as America, we still have half the people earning under the median annual income.

No kidding!

But we bring it upon ourselves by being lazy. Did you know that 40% of sick days are taken on Monday or Friday, giving them a 3-day weekend? Ridiculous.

You want to reduce poverty, you have to redistribute income. People clearly don't know how to take care of themselves.

So ...I'm thinkin' that having half the people under the median income is just about how it came to be known as the median income. Having half the people under the median income isn't a bad thing if the median income is a living wage, is it?

Don't forget, many people are content to make less $, do less work, and enjoy less hassle.

Maybe being poor should be made illegal.

No, maybe being rich should be made illegal.

Oh, Hell. Let's all be made illegal.

Then we can move to Canada and seek refugee status.

Or we could just stay here in the US illegally and help ourselves to all the free stuff we give to the rest of the illegal population.

In all seriousness, I found it interesting that I had to get all the way to the second-to-last paragraph of this article to find out what, specifically, qualifies a person as "living in poverty." Turns out you're living in poverty if you're a family of four with an earned income of about $22,000/year.

There's a quick way to fix this bad news: lower the income amount, or increase the family amount, and presto, the number of people living in poverty has gone down. Now, you may find that to be a bit ridiculous, but it is any less ridiculous than trying to convince America that families who earn over $250,000/year are, somehow, millionaires? Or convincing people that we can now measure economic success by counting the number of jobs that were "saved?"

It's all semantics. Change the qualifiers, and announce to everyone that the number of people living in poverty has decreased for the first time in eight years.

Y'know, when you break it all down, this running-the-country thing is really pretty simple.

Edited by LABillzFan

Only one half? Odd. I would have thought the number would have been bigger than that with the elimination of the middle class and such.

I wonder what % of politicians would repeat that with conviction if handed the line by a speech writer.

Having half the people under the median income isn't a bad thing if the median income is a living wage, is it?

If the median income isn't a "living wage", than someone needs to refine their definition of "living wage". Preferably to exclude satellite TV and ipods.