Would Maybin work better as...

sllib olaffub

I was thinking about our linebackers, and how a lot of people don't think we'll be able to pressure the QB enough this year. I could see, in my mind, plays we have had this preseason, see Maybin running past the Qb, Moats getting close, and this occurred to me: Maybin is often being pushed by the Qb, he's going so fast his momentum and light weight relative to the tackles makes it easy for them to push him out of the QB's path.

How would Maybin fare coming from straight on? If he were rushing from an ILB spot, would he fare better? Do his skill sets allow for him to play on the inside?

And Moats - maybe he's best fit for the inside, we do have Coleman and Batten on the outside, along with Ellis, who are young and have potential - but Moats, he looks pretty big and pretty quick, kind of reminds me of Orakpo. Would Moats work on the Outside? Maybe switch the two?

It's just an idea - does anyone think it could work?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about our linebackers, and how a lot of people don't think we'll be able to pressure the QB enough this year. I could see, in my mind, plays we have had this preseason, see Maybin running past the Qb, Moats getting close, and this occurred to me: Maybin is often being pushed by the Qb, he's going so fast his momentum and light weight relative to the tackles makes it easy for them to push him out of the QB's path.

How would Maybin fare coming from straight on? If he were rushing from an ILB spot, would he fare better? Do his skill sets allow for him to play on the inside?

And Moats - maybe he's best fit for the inside, we do have Coleman and Batten on the outside, along with Ellis, who are young and have potential - but Moats, he looks pretty big and pretty quick, kind of reminds me of Orakpo. Would Moats work on the Outside? Maybe switch the two?

It's just an idea - does anyone think it could work?

Maybin from straight on at MLB? He would get totally stonewalled. The guy was flattened trying to run around OT's when playing DE last year. Now you propose he rush up the middle of the O-line??? Lord have mercy.

From what I've seen, Moats doesn't look much bigger than Maybin.

I thought Maybin would get bigger this off-season. Didn't happen.

Smallness can sort of be relative. Moats doesn't look much bigger, but he looks like he knows how to use his lack of size to his advantage more.

Moats also looked horrible on some plays though, so its all relative.

Do his skill sets allow for him to play on the inside?

Maybinot is definitely very quick. I think that quickness could help him as a check out clerk at a grocery store. I hate the slow ones that have to scan things multiple times. With his first step, even if he missed an occasional scan, he would make up for it in volume.

He will come straight on for the most part when they run stunts. This is something he really could do well because of his speed. I wouldn't doubt if they do it a lot.

Correct - in the Bengals game they stunted him up the middle. Looked promising but the play was blown dead due to a penalty - must have been a false start.

I'm hoping for the best from him. He was very close to a lot of sacks in the preseason, using just his speed. With some game planning , stunts ect. who knows. Getting a sack is great ,however it appears with the new "protect the QB rules" it can be a risky hit. Sometimes putting pressure is just as good if it leads to a bad throw or pick.

Maybin is too small and weak to play inside. He would get ate up by guards. If he can't overpower a TE or RB he has no shot at ILB.

His only chance is at OLB as a pass rusher.

You will see Maybin in some stunts this year, once a crease opens, sort of a safety blitze. Where he would wait one beat, then curve off the NT butt. Your NT moves the center down, and Maybin fills the gap. You cant coach speed, he has that. Now if he can just learn what to do with it, and the angles to take, he could have some impact on the game.

From what I've seen, Moats doesn't look much bigger than Maybin.

I thought Maybin would get bigger this off-season. Didn't happen.

moats impressed me. he was fighting on most plays. very agressive. he only got beat on like 2 plays vs rbs. which is totally normal.

i think moats has IT. maybin is like a ragdoll that gets punked all the time. he tries but usually never breaks through. havent given up on him yet, hopefully his technique improves this year.

Maybinot is definitely very quick. I think that quickness could help him as a check out clerk at a grocery store. I hate the slow ones that have to scan things multiple times. With his first step, even if he missed an occasional scan, he would make up for it in volume.

This is ridiculous. As a landscaper his quickness and size would prove much more valuable. He has the height and arm span to prune the taller hedges with ease and could weed whack his way through a yard in half the time of a normal man.

Of course, in all seriousness, he will never have to worry about either this or bagging groceries as no matter how good he turns out to be, he was good enough and/or smart enough to land a first round NFL contract and is set for life. There has got to be a way for a football team to use a guy that quick and big for something.

He will come straight on for the most part when they run stunts. This is something he really could do well because of his speed. I wouldn't doubt if they do it a lot.

I tend to agree. He is bigger than safties that blitz up the middle on delays sometimes. I think it might work. He might split the guard /center slot with his speed/strength like a DB would.