I'm glad we didn't hire Mike Shanahan

major

Ah, and traded for a RT, drafted what looks like a solid LT #1, and traded for McNabb.

Those 3 moves, in and of themselves, are hardly inconsequential.

And they absolutely have no WRs and Santana Moss disappears in most of the games. It is interesting that the REdskins are also converting to a 3-4 defense without the appropriate personnel and yet they have no issues with the conversion.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprising to see that people already have a prepared response if Buffalo isn't as good as Washington is in their first season of rebuilding: Snyder has more resources to call on. Yet, Danny gets ripped for spending in previous seasons without Shanahan/Allen. How many people around here say spending in UFA can hurt in the long term? I guess this applies only when it can be used to support a given argument.

Good teams on the field begin with good management, i.e. an excellent GM and top HC. Spending guarantees nothing, but there is a time to sign free agents and a time not to. Shanahan has had his share of bad moves, but he's a proven HC and Gailey hasn't been one in the NFL in 11 years. I'd like to know why teams didn't bite on him after (at least on TBD) his celebrated 2 seasons as OC in MIA.

Edited by BillsVet

Not surprising to see that people already have a prepared response if Buffalo isn't as good as Washington is in their first season of rebuilding: Snyder has more resources to call on. Yet, Danny gets ripped for spending in previous seasons without Shanahan/Allen. How many people around here say spending in UFA can hurt in the long term? I guess this applies only when it can be used to support a given argument.

Good teams on the field begin with good management, i.e. an excellent GM and top HC. Spending guarantees nothing, but there is a time to sign free agents and a time not to. Shanahan has had his share of bad moves, but he's a proven HC and Gailey hasn't been one in the NFL in 11 years. I'd like to know why teams didn't bite on him after (at least on TBD) his celebrated 2 seasons as OC in MIA.

Good post. I too wonder why Gailey was passed over for so many years if he is so "great". Again, nothing against Gailey, but I'd take Shanny over him in a NY minute.

Dan Snyder gets ripped for spending money on free agents because he spends money like he's in a fantasy league. He's spent a ton of money on total losers (archuleta, anyone, or maybe Albert "$100 million man" Haynesworth) because they were the "hot" names. That's not good management. That's ego. And the Washington NFL team with the racist nickname hasn't done squat despite it's spending. As for Shanahan, he turned the Bills down. My theory is that he didn't have the balls to take on a difficult situation. Besides, Shanahan's record in his last three years at denver was .500. Maybe he's not all that he's cracked up to be.

Mike Shanahan simply brought in over-priced veterans into Washington, made his son the OC, and has been involved in a much too publicized exchange with Albert Haynesworth. All that to say, I'm glad we didn't bring him to the B-LO. His veterans won't last the year healthy- see Larry Johnson, nepotism will kill him if the offense doesn't click- never hire someone you can't fire, and the Haynesworth drama has already made Shanahan look like a poor leader. All that being said, I'm glad we hired Gailey.

Are you also glad we didn't hire Marty?

True. If we do not have a committment at the highest level of this organization to be a champion, then we never will be. That said, great coaches are a necessity. Shanahan has a pedigree, Gailey does not at this point. Hopefully Gailey flourishes up here. We'll know soon enough.

Okay tough guy, using your logic, how many Super Bowl trophies has Gailey won? Hmmm? LOL.

Look I like Gailey and wish him the best.

I cannot fathom the fact that you are as ignorant as you sound, In my post I said he won, just did not win it all and that was why he was fired... So you reply is to ask me how many trophies he won? Can you not read the part where I said he did not win it?

Don't get me wrong I like Chan the Man and I agree that MS belongs elsewhere, and very happy he didn't get hired for the Bills; but the Albert situation is not his fault. If you pay a player or sign them to a contract worth 100 million dollars, you expect that man to bring it on and be in camp and work hard. This in my opinion should be looked at by the NFLPA and the NFL owners. Snider is a complete idiot with very deep pockets and got what he deserved by spending stupid money on a person who cried about switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. It's not Alberts fault they fired the whole coaching staff and brought in a guy that runs a 3-4. It is his fault now because the dumbass never hesitated when the money came in. If he wanted out of DC because of likes, dislikes or schemes, then he should give back the contract money..... How is this Mike S. fault? Mike isn't making 100 million, more like 10 a year, but he came in and simply was straight forward, and Albert cried like a baby.... Just think, it's because of idiots like Snider who give idiots like Haynesworth huge contracts to get traded for more huge contracts ticket prices that most families have to save up for to watch in a year. So the bottom line is the fans are the real idiots for letting owners charge up to $3500 A TICKET for decent seats so they can pay a player who never wants to play for them in the first place. ( that ticket price is what it cost to sit mid level 40 yd line at the new jets stadium by the way). I know Buffalo is like 200 or something like that.

I do agree though Chan the Man is the Man for the Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Shanahan has been lucky to work in some organizations that are totally committed to winning. Not everyone (regardless of career) is lucky enough to end up in these situations.

John Elway took mediocre Denver teams to 3 Super Bowls under Dan Reeves.

Yes he finally won under Shanahan but Elway got to three Super Bowls without Shanahan.

How many times has Shanahan been to the Super Bowl without Elway?

ZERO

Shanahan's record post Elway is 91-69 which isn't bad…but he made the playoffs only 4 times (3 Wild Cards, 1-4 record) in the 10 post-Elway seasons and Shanahan didn't make the playoffs during his last three years in Denver.

In addition his record in player acquisition and drafting as de facto GM was horrible. The more power Shanahan got in the Denver organization, the worse the team got.

Shanny ain't the GM in DC guy. How many Super Bowls did Gailey get to with or without Aikman? Hmmm??? LOL. If Gailey is so much better than Shanny than why hasn't he been hired as a head coach in the past 10 years. Hmmm???

You're right 91-69 record Shanny had without Elway ain't bad at all. Let's see how Gailey does without Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, etc.

Shanny's stats speak for themself. I'm hoping Gailey does great, but to say he an Shanny are comparable is madness.

Are you intentionally trying to twist my post around or are you simply unable to comprehend a pretty straightforward post?

I think it's pretty clear that I'm saying Shanahan is IMO overrated.

I never mentioned Gailey. My post was addressing the notion that many people have that Shanahan is some sort of genius.

IMO, he is a good coach who worked under an owner committed to winning and had very talented players provided to him.

I'm trying to accomodate you, Merle. But you're making it difficult.

Mike Shanahan

Two AFC Championships as OC with Denver in the 1980s.

One Super Bowl victory as OC with the 49ers in 1994.

Two Super Bowl victories as HC with the Broncos in the 1990s.

Four playoff appearances and only one losing season as HC of the Broncos in the 2000s.

??? as HC with the Redskins.

---

If he wins a Super Bowl with the Redskins he will be hall of fame material. Either way he's one of the more successful coaches of the modern era.

The Bills never had a chance at him, but I would have been thrilled to have him.

I like Chan and what he is doing, and I hope he has success here in Buffalo. However, trying to compare him to Shanahan is a bit silly really.

Edited by Benjamin Barker

Mike Shanahan

Four playoff appearances and only one losing season as HC of the Broncos in the 2000s.

---

If he wins a Super Bowl with the Redskins he will be hall of fame material. Either way he's one of the more successful coaches of the modern era.

The Bills never had a chance at him, but I would have been thrilled to have him.

I like Chan and what he is doing, and I hope he has success here in Buffalo. However, trying to compare him to Shanahan is a bit silly really.

The funnier part isn't the "comparison" (there really isn't a case as you show in your post), but that some fans go out of their way to try and convince themselves that they really, desperately wanted Chan Gailey all along.

Chan's the best retread the misfit Bills organization (I say that as a fan of a team that is tied for the longest playoff drought in the league) could land at the time. Hopefully, he will be capable and afforded the time and resources to turn around this dysfunctional mediocrity, but counting the chickens is incredibly premature at this point.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

You're glad we didn't bring in a Super Bowl winning offensive mastermind?

He did not win those Super Bowl's by himself. He inherited a hall of fame qb that probably would have already won one if he had a running game and a decent coach (i.e. See Reeve's subsequent chokes in Atlanta).

I am happy with our old school GM, Coach, and the southern flavor they bring. I can actually get what they are trying to do. They brought back the 3-4 which never should have left. We are going to run the f-ck out of the ball this year. I am a happy man at this moment. We have some meat on our d-line again. Not these undersized Dick Jauron specials that probably should be playing LB'er.

Shanahan is not god. Neither is Cowher. Quit your crying--it's a done deal and you never had any say in the matter to begin with.

There is no comparison between Shanahan and Gailey. Shanahan is better in all counts and has the record to prove it. Shanahan inheritated a mess in DC, as did Gailey here. My guess is Shanahan will turn his mess around before Gailey is able to do so. I could be wrong on this, but I'm not.

(This one time, I wish I was wrong. LOL.)

Oh, and for the record, I would take Shanahan over Gailey in a NY minute.

Okay by me. B-)

Hmm, Shananhan did well when John Elwy played. Since then, well, he did zero and got fired. The dudes got nothing except zone blocking ideas. He's overhyped and I will bet you he does nothing with the Skins except gets fired in three years. Gailey on the other hand is the underdog and I thinnk is going to surprise you naysayers.

Hmm, Shananhan did well when John Elwy played. Since then, well, he did zero and got fired. The dudes got nothing except zone blocking ideas. He's overhyped and I will bet you he does nothing with the Skins except gets fired in three years. Gailey on the other hand is the underdog and I thinnk is going to surprise you naysayers.

+1

Mike Shanahan

---

My point exactly. Great post. Amazing others seem to think Gailey is "just as good".

Gaiely has been passed over for years. Shanahan has won everywhere he's been. Shanny is clearly better in all categories. It is not even close. Get a clue.