7-9 last year to 2-14 this year?

MClem06

I never knew Henne and Sanchez were established qb's????

Didn't the jets just have a new system installed last year with a great running back who they got rid of this year???

I thought the jets just went out and got new receivers this year along with miami????

I think recess is over buddy and you might want to get back to class....

Recess is over ultimate homer....

Based purley on 2009 stats. (stats are numbers that tell the truth, not homer-induced pipe dreams)

Dolphins & Jets ranked 17 & 20 in total offense....Bills 30th

Dolphins $ Jets ranked 20 & 31 in passing offense...Bills 29th.

Dolphins & Jets ranked 4 & 1 in rushing offense...Bills 16th.

Dolphins & Jets ranked 18 & 8 in rushing defense...Bills 30th.

Now the average homer's response it to say....The Bills got better, Skeletor is gone, CJ Spiller is the next Barry Sanders, Trent Edwards is refreshed, The Jets look bad on hard knocks, Henne sucks, Thomas Jones is gone or whatever else you can come up with while your stoned in your mom's basement.

The fact of the matter is the Bills are middle of the road at best, in every meaningful NFL stat. Keep preaching wild card sermon....the pundits will all come come runnng soon!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the average homer's response it to say....The Bills got better, Skeletor is gone, CJ Spiller is the next Barry Sanders, Trent Edwards is refreshed, The Jets look bad on hard knocks, Henne sucks, Thomas Jones is gone or whatever else you can come up with while your stoned in your mom's basement.

The fact of the matter is the Bills are middle of the road at best, in every meaningful NFL stat. Keep preaching wild card sermon....the pundits will all come come runnng soon!

Actually, the Bills REALIST would note both of those things, because they both are true and both matter. They were also try the past several years when the Bills won either 6 or 7 games.

You seem to be as dishonest as any homer, if not more so, as you have refused to address why you see the Bills doing WORSE this year then they have in the recent past. Care to try again?

It's preseason. I don't care about preseason. Raiders went 4-0 in preseason a couple years ago and then finished last in their division during the regular season. However, I have been impressed by our offensive improvements but I want to see that translate to reg. season. Until then, I remain skeptical.

Of course preseason means nothing...unless we suck in preseason. Then it's reason to burn our season tickets. You can play that game all season long. We only beat <team> because they had a key turnover...we only beat <team> because their best player was injured...blah blah blah. There's always an excuse to ridicule achievement, and for so-called fans like you it's all you know how to do.

PTR

The Dolphins don't have a better QB than the Bills and their run defense is in tatters. They also Just lost their starting LT. The Jets will be much the same as last year except that Revis missed all of training camp so he will be sloppy early in the season. Sanchez is not the real deal, he is erratic at best. The Patriots are still the best in the division but they are starting to slide. Getting 2-4 wins in the division is not out of the question. Division games are almost always close. From the other 10 games I think their are anywhere from 2-6 wins possible which puts the team in the 4-10 win category. I think anything over 8 is highly unlikely. Week 1 the Dolphins have a horrible track record over the last 10 years (1 win) The Bills have had 3 in the same span, so actually are more likely to win. The Phins actually have a horrible record in the first 4 games of the season the last 7 years or so. They start slow. Given the negative media coverage, if the Bills come out firing and play well (especially on offense) they could really catch the Dolphins on their heels. especially if Henne struggles like he has been. The Bills have the 2nd best pass defense coming off of 2009 and probably have improved. Spiller scored 3 TDs in a little over 3 qtrs of football in the preseason. He is currently listed as the starting RB for week 1. Meanwhile the Jets have a good chance of losing to the Ravens in week 1 (many people are picking the Ravens to go to the SB) and the Patriots have fair chance of losing to the TO/Ochocinco show against Cincy in week 1. So it is actually possible if the Bills win this week, that they will be the only team in the AFC east with a win. Don't forget, when you look at the schedule and all those tough teams the Bills face, the rest of the AFC east has to play them too.

Bills 2010 -

QB - same

RB - MUCH better

WR - same

O-Line - better if only not injury-riddled

TE - same

D-line - worse

LB's - same

DB's - same (still good)

Coaching - better 1,000X!!!!

Considering we won 6 games last year I can't see how we got worse this year. 8-8 minimum.

PTR

Ahhh...The Dean. The infamous "I'll play both sides of the argument" poster.

At what point did I say the Bills would do worse than 2009?

The Bills were 6-10 in 2009.

I predict 5-11 or 6-10 again...what gives?

I am eternally loyal to this franchise. I support them whole-heartedly, I buy season tickets year after year and I hope for the best, but

I am a realist... This team, on paper or otherwise is marginally better than the 2009 version.

- The O-line is still a project.

- The secondary receiving option has regressed or disappeared. TO is gone, Hardy is a bust, Josh Reed is gone.

- The transition to the 3-4 will have growing pains. The Bills have 4-3 LB's playing a 3-4 scheme. I believe it will be a worthwhile switch after another draft & free agency period.

- The Bills defense has yet to prove it can stop the run. Miami and the Jets run the ball with great success.

- Brady and the Patriots are very healthy. Welker is back, Moss has another year and they added Gronkowski.

If we're debating the wild card outlook for 2011, I'm on board for a run. 2010 is a transition year.

Ahhh...The Dean. The infamous "I'll play both sides of the argument" poster.

At what point did I say the Bills would do worse than 2009?

The Bills were 6-10 in 2009.

I predict 5-11 or 6-10 again...what gives?

Sorry. Somehow I got the impression you were supporting the under 5 win prognostications. (I guess because I noticed you harping on the negatives, but paying little if any attention to the positives.) I think that's possible (under 5 wins), if the wheels fall off the bus, but I can't understand predicting it.

I think anywhere from 5-8 wins is a reasonable prediction. That's not to say the team can't over or underperform what is reasonable. But, IMO the Bills BIGGEST problem the past few years was not the talent on the field. It was the lack of coaching talent. I think any respectable offensive coach would have been able to squeeze two extra wins out the team each of the past few years. I think Chan is a very respectable offensive coach. The D may be the issue this year, though.

Here's a start...

1. Established QB or running game.

2. Offensive line not made out of spare parts.

3. Offensive and/or defensive systems already in place.

4. Defenses that aren't ranked 32nd against the run.

5. Legitimate receiving options beyond 1st WR (Lee Evans).

1. Trent Edwards is more Established than either Henne or Sanchez who are both in their 2nd year as starters.

2. The Bills line isn't made of spare parts, the Dolphins is, they just had to bring in a cast off to start for this weekend

3. Bills are implementing new systems, this is true but probably doesn't mean much beyond the first few games as Gailey seems to be doing a good job of coaching

4. Bills Defense wasn't ranked 32nd against the run and probably won't be this year.

5. Just because the Bills receivers are young doesn't mean they aren't legitimate. It remains to be seen. Looks like Gailey actually knows how to use Parrish so things could be interesting.

Sorry. Somehow I got the impression you were supporting the under 5 win prognostications. (I guess because I noticed you harping on the negatives, but paying little if any attention to the positives.) I think that's possible (under 5 wins), if the wheels fall off the bus, but I can't understand predicting it.

I think anywhere from 5-8 wins is a reasonable prediction. That's not to say the team can't over or underperform what is reasonable. But, IMO the Bills BIGGEST problem the past few years was not the talent on the field. It was the lack of coaching talent. I think any respectable offensive coach would have been able to squeeze two extra wins out the team each of the past few years. I think Chan is a very respectable offensive coach. The D may be the issue this year, though.

Defensively the secondary should be just as good if not better (Byrd was a Rookie last year and didn't play the whole season!). Also the Safeties have all been saying how much better they like playing the 3-4 because it gives them more opportunities to go for the ball. If you look at the top INT players in the league, most of them are in 3-4 defenses. Granted there is likely to be some struggles early in the season but one would think they will be over them by the Bye week. I think we have a pretty solid front 3, Troup looks good. Linebacker is my only major concern on the defense (remember that Maybin and Kelsay are considered LBs now). Overall, the defense shouldn't be worse than last year. By year end it could be quite a bit better. I think we will see improvement in run defense and a few more pass yards allowed especially early in the season when some of these converted LBs get confused in pass coverage. But overall not a dramatically less productive defense. pair that with an improved offense and we should have a better team. especially since Gailey knows how to call plays and it is rumored that he makes in-game changes to the strategy! Its scary some of the comments that are made by players that imply that Jauron did not do some things like audibles, in game changes to game plan, calling plays to set up other plays.

Based purley on 2009 stats. (stats are numbers that tell the truth, not homer-induced pipe dreams)

Now that you just sumed up why the Bills can win which is my point because all that is true.

What happened last year happened last year with another coach, and system... You don't make sense by saying they will not win by stating the obvious about the jets and the fins....

For the record I stopped hanging out in basements 21 years ago when I grew up and joined the service....

I did that when the Bills were Super Bowl Contenders. Ask grandpa or dad about those days. They did exist

Here's a start...

1. Established QB or running game.

2. Offensive line not made out of spare parts.

3. Offensive and/or defensive systems already in place.

4. Defenses that aren't ranked 32nd against the run.

5. Legitimate receiving options beyond 1st WR (Lee Evans).

1) Hmmm...I'm QB optimistic, but respect your decision not to be. But I think we got Fast Freddie past 1000 with a million line issues, no passing game, and he was coming in as a backup. Then we added the top running playmaker in the draft. I don't know how we don't have an established running game by your measure.

2) Spare parts? Is that a slight on Cornell Green (my least favorite Bill)? Or are you really thinking Eric Wood is spare parts, Levietre spare parts? Do you really think that Bell is that terrible based on what you have seen of him, what his situation is last year, his athletic ability, and what the coaching staff seems to think? He is still not a certainty, but I don't think he is a spare part and nothing more than a Cornell Green.

3) Defense might continue to have a learning curve, but I think that is a little bit of a lame excuse and I expect them to perform. We have some personnel issues we will address in time for next season, but I think these guys are going to be better than last year really quickly, and won't need the "learning new system" excuse for long.

4) Can this really be separate from the previous one? We were last against the run, than how is learning the new system going to make that worse? Or do you think our pass rush will actually be worse than last year? And do you think our secondary will somehow stumble around like they are trying to speak German as tourists?

5) I like Stevie Johnson and I like Roscoe and I like Spiller. Chan + Checkdown + Spiller + Roscoe isn't going to be a powerful weapon? I still miss the intermediate pass and am not completely sold on Stevie, but I think that Chan can get some cool offense out of two crazy quick guys and someone very accurate in short passes, while Lee keeps them honest long and Stevie tries to learn how to be a middle of the field possession receiver.

Again, I think we are likely going to be drafting in the teens. I'm hoping it is #19 or so and we snuck into the playoffs, but also know it could be #13 or so. But I really have a tough time seeing the 2 or 3 win stuff so many people see. Chan is trying to win now while building, not just throwing in the towel and taking a year to get his guys and his schemes. I think this team is much better than last year's team, and the teams in the division are not as amazing as people are saying.

Let's get to 1-0 against the Fish and see how things are looking from there...

That got me to thinking about why the Bills are getting no respect. That's because they have last year's QB and a coach who is not as highly regarded as Shanahan. It has nothing to do with the relative level of talent, team chemistry or some quantitative measurements. It's strictly "image" and whether the team did what the "pundits" said the team should have done.

Bills didn't get Shanahan (or Cowher or some other "sexy" big-name coach) and they didn't "upgrade" the QB position. Ergo, they must suck.

Just my two cents.

+1

The fact that the Buffalo Bills play in, well, Buffalo, likely plays a role.

Other small-market teams don't seem to get proportionate respect or media attention.

Green Bay comes to mind.

Some people feel these are meaningful stats:

Dolphins & Jets ranked 24 & 1 in passing defense....Bills 2nd

Dolphins & Jets ranked 6 & 22 in kickoff and punt returns.....Bills 21st

The question was not if the Bills are middle of the road.

The question is why the Bills are predicted to be WORSE than last year, despite seeming to make at least small improvements across the board.

And your answer is.

My mom doesn't have a basement. Insults are the final refuge of the puerile mind.