Boardwalk Empire...the next Sopranos

Beerball

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting to the point that the only story line that interests me is Van Alden.Agree with everyone on Gillian...just get her written out.

BTW, looked up Nitti today, seems like they are straying from history.

There has to be a female character for everyone to hate! :rolleyes:

There has to be a female character for everyone to hate! :rolleyes:

It's not about her gender, it is about the incredibly boring scenes with her in them that absolutely ruined the episode for me... it is like Jar Jar Binks... it is as if they did it on purpose to anger Boardwalk Empire fans. I swear, if I have to endure another season of her storyline, I'll pull my hair out! LOL

It's not about her gender, it is about the incredibly boring scenes with her in them that absolutely ruined the episode for me... it is like Jar Jar Binks... it is as if they did it on purpose to anger Boardwalk Empire fans. I swear, if I have to endure another season of her storyline, I'll pull my hair out! LOL

Yeah, I realize she isn't very popular, and her character is pretty unlikeable. But, I think she is there, at this point, to give a face to the heroin racket that seemed to divide some of the OG's back in those days. They are adding layers and textures on to the show. Not my favorite storyline either, but they usually have a nice way of bringing it all together.

Not necessarily you Bmore, but if you go back and look at any thread about any tv show on the board, the female lead seems to be loathed by a pretty vocal part of the posters. Now that Margaret is gone (will she be back? Still listed in the opening credits) the hate seems to have jumped from her to the next female who gets the most screen time, Gillian in this case. The show has always had a pre-occupation with female roles during the time. Hers is a story that doesn't get told a lot.

Jar-Jar Binks! That made me chuckle! :lol:

Yeah, I realize she isn't very popular, and her character is pretty unlikeable. But, I think she is there, at this point, to give a face to the heroin racket that seemed to divide some of the OG's back in those days. They are adding layers and textures on to the show. Not my favorite storyline either, but they usually have a nice way of bringing it all together.

Not necessarily you Bmore, but if you go back and look at any thread about any tv show on the board, the female lead seems to be loathed by a pretty vocal part of the posters. Now that Margaret is gone (will she be back? Still listed in the opening credits) the hate seems to have jumped from her to the next female who gets the most screen time, Gillian in this case. The show has always had a pre-occupation with female roles during the time. Hers is a story that doesn't get told a lot.

Jar-Jar Binks! That made me chuckle! :lol:

I didn't loathe any of the Breaking Bad female leads, but for some reason Boardwalk Empire cannot get the female roles done right. That leaves us with Mueller's wife, a promising character for future misdeeds, and the showgirl who's trying to hook Chalky, who is very boring so far as well.

That's the first think that popped in my head after 5 times of the story being interrupted by Gillian!

I didn't loathe any of the Breaking Bad female leads, but for some reason Boardwalk Empire cannot get the female roles done right. That leaves us with Mueller's wife, a promising character for future misdeeds, and the showgirl who's trying to hook Chalky, who is very boring so far as well.

That's the first think that popped in my head after 5 times of the story being interrupted by Gillian!

Hating Skyler White has become a cottage industry....

• 1 month later...

So, anyone up to date with season four of Boardwalk Empire?

I am. I have liked the season, not loved it. I thought seasons two and three were incredible. The problems I have with this one, and they aren't major, are that I could have done without any Margaret story line and I also don't really like where they went with Jillian's story line. Both seemed unnecessary and drawn out to me. However, I love the progression of Van Alden's character and also the maturation of Willie into possibly the next great gangster of the Thompson family. Eager to see how this Dr. Narcisse stuff plays out next week and also what will happen in Chicago.

I am. I have liked the season, not loved it. I thought seasons two and three were incredible. The problems I have with this one, and they aren't major, are that I could have done without any Margaret story line and I also don't really like where they went with Jillian's story line. Both seemed unnecessary and drawn out to me. However, I love the progression of Van Alden's character and also the maturation of Willie into possibly the next great gangster of the Thompson family. Eager to see how this Dr. Narcisse stuff plays out next week and also what will happen in Chicago.

Okay..I mostly agree with you...but Margaret? She has literally been on the show for about 10 minutes the entire season...too much? I like the fact that Rothstein (my favorite on the show) and she are, sort of, unwittingly, in cahoots...there may be more to that down the road...I could have lived with a lot more of both characters this season.

I completely agree with you about Jillian. While I loved the whole Chalky story-line, and Nucky/Eli rift that is soon to develop, I hated the whole Jillian thread in this past episode. I think the directors/writers, or whoever, were trying to be too cute with that whole thing...like an old film noir...but it the style was only used for that particular story-line, so it didn't work...it seemed really corny. Also, not sure why, but I can't stand Ron Livingston, the actor who played the Pinkerton. He is like a poor-man's Tim Robbins. I can deal with him going undercover to catch her and all, but the way it went down was rediculous, and not really in keeping with the tone of the show.

All in all though, I have enjoyed the season...Chalkie is going to war with Narcise and Nucky, Narcise with Nucky and Chalkie, and Nucky with Narcise, Chalkie and Eli..what could go wrong? Could Nucky call in some help from his friends in Chicago (again) to bust up Eli's meeting with the other bosses...notice Chicago was left out of that meeting...

Okay..I mostly agree with you...but Margaret? She has literally been on the show for about 10 minutes the entire season...too much? I like the fact that Rothstein (my favorite on the show) and she are, sort of, unwittingly, in cahoots...there may be more to that down the road...I could have lived with a lot more of both characters this season.

I completely agree with you about Jillian. While I loved the whole Chalky story-line, and Nucky/Eli rift that is soon to develop, I hated the whole Jillian thread in this past episode. I think the directors/writers, or whoever, were trying to be too cute with that whole thing...like an old film noir...but it the style was only used for that particular story-line, so it didn't work...it seemed really corny. Also, not sure why, but I can't stand Ron Livingston, the actor who played the Pinkerton. He is like a poor-man's Tim Robbins. I can deal with him going undercover to catch her and all, but the way it went down was rediculous, and not really in keeping with the tone of the show.

All in all though, I have enjoyed the season...Chalkie is going to war with Narcise and Nucky, Narcise with Nucky and Chalkie, and Nucky with Narcise, Chalkie and Eli..what could go wrong? Could Nucky call in some help from his friends in Chicago (again) to bust up Eli's meeting with the other bosses...notice Chicago was left out of that meeting...

Yeah, your point about Margaret's appearance being brief is well taken. Perhaps I just dislike her that much. I too love Rothstein. May be my favorite character in the series. The actor who plays him does an absolutely phenomenal job.

My prediction for next week: Chalky and Nucky live. Knox, Dr. Narcisse and Eli die. I like Eli, but that's a gut feeling.

Yeah, your point about Margaret's appearance being brief is well taken. Perhaps I just dislike her that much. I too love Rothstein. May be my favorite character in the series. The actor who plays him does an absolutely phenomenal job.

My prediction for next week: Chalky and Nucky live. Knox, Dr. Narcisse and Eli die. I like Eli, but that's a gut feeling.

Yeah, I get that feeling too. After the way they killed of Jimmy, it wouldn't surprise me to see Eli go too...though the idea that Eli might off himself, after killing Knox has crossed my mind too...kind of lost track somewhere (didn't watch for about three weeks, then splurged on the last three episodes), but does J Edgar know that Knox is still pursuing the organized crime theory? I remember he was po'd when J Edgar "stole" the idea for himself.

Yeah, I get that feeling too. After the way they killed of Jimmy, it wouldn't surprise me to see Eli go too...though the idea that Eli might off himself, after killing Knox has crossed my mind too...kind of lost track somewhere (didn't watch for about three weeks, then splurged on the last three episodes), but does J Edgar know that Knox is still pursuing the organized crime theory? I remember he was po'd when J Edgar "stole" the idea for himself.

There hasn't been much dialogue between the two in recent weeks, so I am unsure, but that's a good question. Another one who might go this week is Torrio...

There hasn't been much dialogue between the two in recent weeks, so I am unsure, but that's a good question. Another one who might go this week is Torrio...

I will have to go back and watch...but I remember the dinner scene where Hoovers' promotion is announced, he made the speech about how he had been working on trying to establish a national connection between organized crime bosses in Philly, New York, Chicago and Atlantic City...Knox got pissed off because it was his "project" and Hoover had kind of dismissed it up to that point...after Eddie died (his "weak link" in the Thompson chain), J Edgar, I thought, kind of told Knox was on his last chance to prove some connection between all of them...Eli is his last chance. Kind of wonder, as Eli made a point to downplay the connection between the various crime syndicates and the Chicago faction, could Eli be planning to have the Chicago guys take care of Knox, and his partner? Given the whole thing with his son, and his new involvement with Nucky, I can't see Eli not trying to slip out of his deal with Knox. I don't think Knox knows that Eli's son is now working for Nucky...only about him dodging the murder charge back at his college...should be a good finale!

Now that was a great episode!

As much as any show ever...don't like a character too much, cuz they are not going to make it...great episode, yes....boy I never saw that end coming, but I guess I should have... :cry:

Edited by Buftex

• 3 weeks later...

Just wrapped up season 4.

Excellent and Eli is the man. Gonna get his gangsta on in Chi-town ?

Kill narcisse already, agree with both of you on Rothstein and Van Alden.

Give me less Margaret and Jillian and more Meyer and Luciano.

Great finale.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Just wrapped up season 4.

Excellent and Eli is the man. Gonna get his gangsta on in Chi-town ?

Kill narcisse already, agree with both of you on Rothstein and Van Alden.

Great finale.

Yes! Agree 100%. I am very interested to see where they go with those two characters next season.

• 8 months later...

Fifth and final season starts Sunday night. From what I've read, its set in 1931. Seven years is skipping over alot of story. Like Capone's rise to boss of Chicago and the assassination of Rothstein (one of my favorite characters). Not to mention how Luciano earned the nickname "Lucky"

You may get your wish, at least the second part of it. 1931 was a big year for Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky. I'm kind of thinking that after Boardwalk Empire wraps up, a Luciano/Lansky spinoff may be in the works.

That 7 year gap is also enough time to squeeze in another spinoff based on Capone, Eli, and Van Alden

Edited by /dev/null