What's the correct RB rotation?

Beerball

Spiller had a couple of big plays in the preseason! I remember thinking that McGahee looked all-world the first couple of times I saw him too. I am pretty sure I saw Spiller lose 13 yards for us on first down on a sideways run against the Bengals - he will still have a learning curve.

If Jackson is healthy he should be the #1 - work Spiller in in some key points. Of course Jackson's big upside was his receiving skills - the hand makes that suspect. But Lynch should be the backup to them both - don't worry - he will be used!

There is no rotation, and they don't want to, or will, trade Lynch.

I don't get why people don't understand this, but the Bills are finally doing what fans have screamed for over the years, they are going to be a power running team, and will use 3 RB's this year for their offence. The offence is going to be all about the running game. Fred and Marshawn will be the 1a/1b RB's, and CJ will be used all over as a RB and as a WR, anyway to get him the ball. CJ is going to get 5-10 carries as a typical RB a game, and get the same or more touches on screen passes as a WR. Lynch and jackson will both be the workhorses getting the brunt of the carries, and Bell will be the backup. This takes alot of the pressure off of Trent, and allows him to not have to force throws and try to make plays with his arm.

Very much how I see it. I suspect we'll see alot of 2 and 3 RB formations, with one motioning out into the slot. We have a below average line and a marginal QB. The best way to "hide" that is with alot of draws, play actions, screens, and quick passes to the slot. A strong runnning game is what makes all that work.

I think we've seen several times in the preseason, when the deffense is blizing - which we can expect alot of, because Trent has not shown any ability to beat the blitz - they're calling screens and quick slants and it's been effective. We've seen the 3 RBs in the backfield (on Evans' long TD bomb) and it was effective. We've seen McIntyre catching screens in the preseason; imagine Jackson catching those screens as the 2nd RB.

So, IMO, there'll be no real "starter" at the RB position, but a lot of 2 and 3 RB formations using them in a variety of ways. And, IMO, its the smart and best thing to do offensively. We have one proven WR and zero good TEs. Why not have the offense start and end with your best players - Jackson, Lynch, and Spiller?

Yes, this.

Although, regarding the OL, I truly believe our line is good enough up the middle that they are more than adequate run blockers. And so long as the defense is kept off balance and doesn't have reason to pin its ears back and blitz the passer, they can block well enough that we can be effective passing the ball, too. I honestly think that with the right amount of creativity, our OLine will be far less of a liability than it was last year.

I just wonder why everyone seems to be under the impression that Lynch is some sort of power back or goal line back. That guy does more dancing and shuffling than Spiller.

Lynch, IMO, will not be on the team by the opener. I think the guy definitely has potential to be a pretty good back but his dancing has just gotten out of hand. If he would just hit the damn hole and run, he would be worth something and even have some trade value. Right now, there are at least 3 other backs on the roster, possibly 4, with more of a North-South approach than Lynch. I don't know what kind of a guy he is on the sidelines or in the locker room, but if I was a teammate and saw him not delivering blows and avoiding hits like he does would piss me off.

Lynch has shown that head of steam, almost exclusively, in goal line situations. For some reason he drops the soft-shoe routine when the endzone is in sight. At least that's my recollection.

Give the ball to Spiller, He's the one who makes plays. Use Lynch on short yardage and on the goal line, jackson is the backup. Jackson had one good year, thats it.

I disagree, Jackson has had two very good years in the two years he has played, Lynch had a good rookie year, decent 2nd year and pitiful last year. Jackson in my book is the starter and not only can cj split out wide so can fred when needed!

Spiller had a couple of big plays in the preseason! I remember thinking that McGahee looked all-world the first couple of times I saw him too. I am pretty sure I saw Spiller lose 13 yards for us on first down on a sideways run against the Bengals - he will still have a learning curve.

If Jackson is healthy he should be the #1 - work Spiller in in some key points. Of course Jackson's big upside was his receiving skills - the hand makes that suspect. But Lynch should be the backup to them both - don't worry - he will be used!

Billy Billy Billy...

McGahee never flashed the skills shown by Spiller, in preseason or otherwise. You do realize that in 25 touches against starting defenses, Spiller had five 20+ yard plays and three TDs, right?

Lynch has shown that head of steam, almost exclusively, in goal line situations. For some reason he drops the soft-shoe routine when the endzone is in sight. At least that's my recollection.

I guess it just becomes a blurr with Lynch. You are right in a sense that he does have a little better nose for the end zone but he still does the tap dancing routine more than he should. If the guy just put his head down and lowered the boom on would be tacklers, he would be much more of an asset to this team. Right now, he is nothing more than a tap dancing head case.

I see Chan using all three at the same time during the game.

I just don't get concepts like this. There is one ball. If there are two or three RBs in the game, then what are the other two doing? They're not nearly as good at blocking as McIntyre or a lineman and using them as decoys only goes so far. Teams don't run wishbone or misdirection type handoffs in the NFL.

Spiller will start with 15 or so carries per game. I think that's a given. If he does well and it looks like he can handle the load, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get up to 20 or 25 per game. The rest need to go primarily to one other back so that he can get into a rhythm too. It'll be Lynch to start with b/c of Jackson's hand. If Lynch does well, it'll be his job. Maybe Jackson comes in for some gadget plays or is traded. Otherwise, Jackson will get his chance to take over the other RB spot it'll be Lynch riding the pine.

Gailey is smart enough not to give three RBs 10 carries a game.

Spiller will start with 15 or so carries per game. I think that's a given. If he does well and it looks like he can handle the load, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get up to 20 or 25 per game. The rest need to go primarily to one other back so that he can get into a rhythm too. It'll be Lynch to start with b/c of Jackson's hand. If Lynch does well, it'll be his job. Maybe Jackson comes in for some gadget plays or is traded. Otherwise, Jackson will get his chance to take over the other RB spot it'll be Lynch riding the pine.

No way Spiller gets 20-25 carries, NO WAY. And if he gets as many as 15, it means our offense is running an obtuse amount of plays from scrimmage. Personally, I welcome that kind of production, but I see him hovering around the 10 mark, at best.

Why wouldn't it be prudent to get 30 carries between three players? RB's don't get better as games go on because THEY improve, they get better because the defense gets worn down. Why can't that be a shared responsibility?

I just don't get concepts like this. There is one ball. If there are two or three RBs in the game, then what are the other two doing? They're not nearly as good at blocking as McIntyre or a lineman and using them as decoys only goes so far. Teams don't run wishbone or misdirection type handoffs in the NFL.

You're correct about the wishbone, incorrect about misdirection.

Agree on your last point...or we've got problems, eh?