What's the correct RB rotation?

Beerball

We've got the potential for a 3 headed monster with Spiller, Jackson and Lynch, but how do you use them? Teams have typically used a bigger back early and then the speedsters later after the defense has been 'softened up' and they are a bit slower.

Do you see the Bills featuring Jackson & Lynch early with Spiller getting spot duty and then a heavy dose of CJ in the 2nd half?

Do you feature Spiller early and often?

Will Lynch be more effective against a winded defense?

What's your plan?

We've got the potential for a 3 headed monster with Spiller, Jackson and Lynch, but how do you use them? Teams have typically used a bigger back early and then the speedsters later after the defense has been 'softened up' and they are a bit slower.

Do you see the Bills featuring Jackson & Lynch early with Spiller getting spot duty and then a heavy dose of CJ in the 2nd half?

What's your plan?

Actually I see Spiller as being effective against a winded, Lynch battered D, if that is plausible ...

Actually I see Spiller as being effective against a winded, Lynch battered D, if that is plausible ...

Me too, and I do think they should 'limit' Spiller's carries but he's shown some breathtaking ability. Do you take the chance that we'll keep games close long enough to have him on the bench most of the first half?

Edited by Beerball

I feel like Lynch shoulb be the starter, with Jackson and C.J. filling in on Third down and longer distance. I personally think that Lynch will have the most carries this year. I think Jackson is the odd man out. (I love freddy) So do not take this as a slam on him. Just my opinion.

i agree about f jax.

but i think the balance of lynch and spiller will depend on the team we are playing. whoever is in there should have enough consecutive plays to get into a rhythm tho. i think we'll see lynch with spiller or jackson in two back sets with spiller or jackson occasionally motioning out, esp with our current lack of TE depth.

if i were calling the shots, i'd start with lynch for two drives, and if he's doing well, keep feeding him the ball. if not, let spiller work his magic and then come back to lynch to grind it out late in the game. although lynch isn't as dynamic as spiller catching the ball, he's still a threat on the receiving end as well.

What's your plan?

The corect rotation is no rotation.

Play the guy that is hot. Game plan for situations that match their strenghts to the defenses weaknesses. Mix it up and keep them guessing. Make them change to match us. Never be predictable in a set rotation.

I want to see a two tailback set in the games. Gailey hinted at this after the first pre-season game. Start with two tailbacks in the backfield and then one splits out wide like a flanker did back in the 60s. This could pull the defense out of the 8 in a box formation and back them off to enable a run (trap or a draw). Or we could pass to a mismatch with a LB covering Spiller or Jackson. We could actually force them to play nickel by using two running backs. Now, do this again but with three wideouts and who covers Parish? Which safety helps with Evans deep? Force them into 6 DBs and Spiller bcomes deadly if he can get one block to spring him past the line of scrimmage.

Lots of possibilities all predicated on being able to block.

Edited by Bob in STL

I feel like Lynch shoulb be the starter, with Jackson and C.J. filling in on Third down and longer distance. I personally think that Lynch will have the most carries this year. I think Jackson is the odd man out. (I love freddy) So do not take this as a slam on him. Just my opinion.

i agree about f jax.

but i think the balance of lynch and spiller will depend on the team we are playing. whoever is in there should have enough consecutive plays to get into a rhythm tho. i think we'll see lynch with spiller or jackson in two back sets with spiller or jackson occasionally motioning out, esp with our current lack of TE depth.

if i were calling the shots, i'd start with lynch for two drives, and if he's doing well, keep feeding him the ball. if not, let spiller work his magic and then come back to lynch to grind it out late in the game. although lynch isn't as dynamic as spiller catching the ball, he's still a threat on the receiving end as well.

You guys are crazy. Jackson will get the bulk of the carries. Spiller will be the home run change of pace, and Lynch will get the red zone touches.

--OR--

We're constantly running out of split two back sets, and Trent gets to make the call as to which side of the defense we attack, player be damned.

You guys are crazy. Jackson will get the bulk of the carries. Spiller will be the home run change of pace, and Lynch will get the red zone touches.

--OR--

We're constantly running out of split two back sets, and Trent gets to make the call as to which side of the defense we attack, player be damned.

crazy like a fox

Guest dog14787

When Kelly the more well balanced dog then I brought up the point about leaving CJ on the field, but just make sure not to over use him, at first I was against it.

Now I've had more time to think about it and Kelly's right, CJ has openly come out and said, "I just stay patient, and when the right moment comes, I take it" (not word for word, but you get the drift)

We need CJ's moments of greatness for the Buffalo Bills to be great and his mere presence on the field makes us a better football team.

Edited by dog14787

--OR--

I think its a little bit of both Big Cat! Sprinkle in some CJ/Jackson lining up as a WR. Can you imagine if you're a LB or S and you have to cover either Spiller/Jackson/Parrish? What a nightmare!!!

Guest dog14787

I think its a little bit of both Big Cat! Sprinkle in some CJ/Jackson lining up as a WR. Can you imagine if you're a LB or S and you have to cover either Spiller/Jackson/Parrish? What a nightmare!!!

The wildcat formation could end up being a nightmare for other teams, plus Jackson and Spiller both have decent arms and CJ If I'm not mistaken has thrown for two or three TD's already in college,(they all catch well)

Gailey's going to have a ball with these guys :thumbsup:

Edited by dog14787

When Kelly the more well balanced dog then I brought up the point about leaving CJ on the field, but just make sure not to over use him, at first I was against it.

Now I've had more time to think about it and Kelly's right, CJ has openly come out and said, "I just stay patient, and when the right moment comes, I take it" (not word for word, but you get the drift)

We need CJ's moments of greatness for the Buffalo Bills to be great and his mere presence on the field makes us a better football team.

I'll probably be proven wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get more than 15 carries in any game this year, but we'll see. Of course that doesn't mean he has to be off the field, he's going to be a weapon as a decoy and as a receiver. His blocking ability...not so much...and that may limit his 3rd down opportunities especially against teams that blitz more often than not (think jests).

Sphere 'o Beer, I like you, I really do...but I don't know why you and others continue to speculate about who is "starting" or what the "rotation" will be of the Buffalo RBs. I think the whole point of this is that Gailey doesn't want to telegraph any particular rotation, but have other teams worried about planning for any of the three at any given time. I think they have to get Spiller 15-20 touches a game, but beyond that, I don't think it matters who is out there first, second, or third.

I guess it's something to talk about, though...so I'll shut up. ;)

There is no rotation, and they don't want to, or will, trade Lynch.

I don't get why people don't understand this, but the Bills are finally doing what fans have screamed for over the years, they are going to be a power running team, and will use 3 RB's this year for their offence. The offence is going to be all about the running game. Fred and Marshawn will be the 1a/1b RB's, and CJ will be used all over as a RB and as a WR, anyway to get him the ball. CJ is going to get 5-10 carries as a typical RB a game, and get the same or more touches on screen passes as a WR. Lynch and jackson will both be the workhorses getting the brunt of the carries, and Bell will be the backup. This takes alot of the pressure off of Trent, and allows him to not have to force throws and try to make plays with his arm.

Sphere 'o Beer, I like you, I really do...but I don't know why you and others continue to speculate about who is "starting" or what the "rotation" will be of the Buffalo RBs. I think the whole point of this is that Gailey doesn't want to telegraph any particular rotation, but have other teams worried about planning for any of the three at any given time. I think they have to get Spiller 15-20 touches a game, but beyond that, I don't think it matters who is out there first, second, or third.

I guess it's something to talk about, though...so I'll shut up. ;)

I agree it's something to talk about, and they could mix things up depending on the game I suppose. But...typically successful teams (Giants come quickly to mind) with multiple backs start out the game pounding the big guy. I don't know if Galey will do that and I'm not sure it's the right thing to do which is why I ended my post with "what's your plan?"

Edited by Beerball

There is no rotation, and they don't want to, or will, trade Lynch.

I don't get why people don't understand this, but the Bills are finally doing what fans have screamed for over the years, they are going to be a power running team, and will use 3 RB's this year for their offence. The offence is going to be all about the running game. Fred and Marshawn will be the 1a/1b RB's, and CJ will be used all over as a RB and as a WR, anyway to get him the ball. CJ is going to get 5-10 carries as a typical RB a game, and get the same or more touches on screen passes as a WR. Lynch and jackson will both be the workhorses getting the brunt of the carries, and Bell will be the backup. This takes alot of the pressure off of Trent, and allows him to not have to force throws and try to make plays with his arm.

Very much how I see it. I suspect we'll see alot of 2 and 3 RB formations, with one motioning out into the slot. We have a below average line and a marginal QB. The best way to "hide" that is with alot of draws, play actions, screens, and quick passes to the slot. A strong runnning game is what makes all that work.

I think we've seen several times in the preseason, when the deffense is blizing - which we can expect alot of, because Trent has not shown any ability to beat the blitz - they're calling screens and quick slants and it's been effective. We've seen the 3 RBs in the backfield (on Evans' long TD bomb) and it was effective. We've seen McIntyre catching screens in the preseason; imagine Jackson catching those screens as the 2nd RB.

So, IMO, there'll be no real "starter" at the RB position, but a lot of 2 and 3 RB formations using them in a variety of ways. And, IMO, its the smart and best thing to do offensively. We have one proven WR and zero good TEs. Why not have the offense start and end with your best players - Jackson, Lynch, and Spiller?

I just wonder why everyone seems to be under the impression that Lynch is some sort of power back or goal line back. That guy does more dancing and shuffling than Spiller.

Lynch, IMO, will not be on the team by the opener. I think the guy definitely has potential to be a pretty good back but his dancing has just gotten out of hand. If he would just hit the damn hole and run, he would be worth something and even have some trade value. Right now, there are at least 3 other backs on the roster, possibly 4, with more of a North-South approach than Lynch. I don't know what kind of a guy he is on the sidelines or in the locker room, but if I was a teammate and saw him not delivering blows and avoiding hits like he does would piss me off.