ESPN's Bill Simmons on Trent Edwards

Dorkington

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787

I think the majority of Bills fans think Edwards is an average QB. The fans that think Edwards is going to break out are the same ones who believe Maybin needs time, Donte is a top 5 safety and Nix walks on water. Every fan base has that.

Simmons is funny but the better comparison would be, the "college break girlfriend". You come home from college on break, your old girlfriend is still hangin around town, you call her up, "hang out" and in the morning as you wake you realize what you did and say, "Did I expect things to change?"

There will be plenty of fans who have that same feeling come week 8 about Trent.

I think you think to much about what other folks think,

I've found folks generally like to draw their own conclusions,

Myself personally, I've always believed in TE and its not going to surprise me in the least when Trent silences all the skeptics.

Chan Gailey wasn't worried about drafting a QB because he knew he already had a good QB.

FWIW, I think Trent is one of many of those QBs that can either flounder or flourish depending on the system and the coaching they have. He is not one of those QBs that is great under any system, nor is he horrible in any system. If Chan does things right, then maybe we'll see a good year from Trent, and that would be great. :)

Myself personally, I've always believed in TE and its not going to surprise me in the least when Trent silences all the skeptics.

Chan Gailey wasn't worried about drafting a QB because he knew he already had a good QB.

I look at things objectivily. I am a Bills fan but that doesn't mean that I can't be critical of a player when I feel they deserve it.

You on the other hand let your fandom cloud your judgment. I don't think that there is anything wrong with that either, especially when you are one of the nicest posters on this board. But you are who Simmons is talking about, I don't think it's denial, I think unconditional fandom.

I started a thread this week titled "I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE SPILLER PICK". When I'm wrong, I have no problem being accountable. I hope I'm wrong about Trent like I was about the Spiller pick, nothing would make me happier. I'm a Bills fan and this is a message board so I don't live and die by the "humiliation" of being wrong. but with Trent, we've been there and done that. And that is what I believe.

Simmons is my favorite ESPN writer...but his football stuff is his weakest. He's a monster with the NBA and very proficient with MLB, but his NFL stuff is lower-grade.

You can tell how much he knows about a subject by how much filler he inserts. That is his style anyway, but when he is talking about topics he truly understands, the content-to-fluff ratio is considerably less.

I thought that paragraph was a pretty good way to talk about fans in denial. The only problem is, it's not applicable to the Bills at all. The vast majority of Bills fans are pretty much done with Trent. This isn't a Drew Bledsoe "he needs more time" situation. It's a "he needs more talent" situation.

Excellent analysis of Simmons' writing style Bart. He is funny, but has also become somewhat insufferable as his success and ESPN-celebrity status have increased. Also, it seems that 80% of his stuff is now about the NBA (which I don't follow) so I've stopped reading his columns for the most part. My guess is that he's going on fantasy stats and watching Edwards twice a year vs. the Pats* for his 'informed opinion', which is fine cause that's what they all do. But just like every other slight of the Bills, everyone should expect it to continue as long as they are a losing team.

Bill Simmons is hilarious! I don't take any offense to his comments. Like most people, he hasn't been watching Bills preseason, so he is going on last season. These articles are supposed to be funny as much as informative.

Bill Simmons was hilarious. His schtick has gotten very tired and very old. He has become what he hates, a predicatble, boring, ESPN personality.

I just sent him this email - not that he reads them.

Wow - way to mail it in Simmons. You are like Rick Reilly except your heyday was not quite as long and you peaked too early. You used to be funny, now it is painfully obvious that you are trying way too hard. I am sure that your interns will not even pass this on to you but I hope that you get it. Instead of the voice of the fan you have turned into the voice of the typical Boston fan, the one that most people in this country hate, a smug, arrogant, characiture. I congratulate you on your success - you truly are self made and for the amount of traffic you direct to ESPN.com you are probably underpaid.

But now I can officially put you in the same category of your favorite people at ESPN, including Rick Reilly, Chris Berman, Skip Bayless, and Colin Cowherd.

Edited by ACor58

You hit the nail on the head. There are plenty of reasons to expect a guy on the roster now is a solution at QB even after struggling the past few seasons. When did the expected development window collapse to gotta be a pro bowler in 2 seasons or bust?

There are plenty of good and great QB’s that started off struggling. Aikman and Favre are two off of the top, I am sure many more.

Chan is the right guy. He will either turn TE's career around this season, or the team will move on. Nothing wrong with that.

Bill Simmons was hilarious. His schtick has gotten very tired and very old. He has become what he hates, a predicatble, boring, ESPN personality.

I just sent him this email - not that he reads them.

Wow - way to mail it in Simmons. You are like Rick Reilly except your heyday was not quite as long and you peaked too early. You used to be funny, now it is painfully obvious that you are trying way too hard. I am sure that your interns will not even pass this on to you but I hope that you get it. Instead of the voice of the fan you have turned into the voice of the typical Boston fan, the one that most people in this country hate, a smug, arrogant, characiture. I congratulate you on your success - you truly are self made and for the amount of traffic you direct to ESPN.com you are probably underpaid.

But now I can officially put you in the same category of your favorite people at ESPN, including Rick Reilly, Chris Berman, Skip Bayless, and Colin Cowherd.

Reilly absolutely sucks now. And, really was great before he got his own column at SI. The very best in the business.......Simmons still amuses me, but he should do some more editing. He goes on and on. It's actually harder to write a good short column that a long column.....I despise Cowherd the most in all of sports talk, etc. I don't think Simmons has said he doesn't like him, as I think you're implying. He even had that dbag on his podcast a little while back.

Just another Mass-hole dooshrat.

I know pre-season isn't much, but come on. What are all of these journalists watching?

Arizona has a QB controversy with Leinart and Anderson ... and they're better than Buffalo???

Chad Henne looks like crap.

Kyle Orton is going to be the savior in Denver ... and Tebow's next???

Cincinnati couldn't win when Ochocinco was in his prime. Now he's still the number one receiver and T.O. is number two. And they're supposed to be better now???

Mark Sanchez sucked last year and now he's supposed to lead the Jets to the Super Bowl?

None of this crap makes any sense. Not one national-level journalist has the balls to say Buffalo could do well this year. I'm not saying they're a lock for post-season by any means; but they're not a lock to be among the bottom 5, or even 10, teams.

Outside of the Colts and the Ravens, the AFC is the weakest it's been in years.

I can't wait for all of these idiots to eat some crow.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Edited by gugny

Simmons, like Rick Reilly, is one of those guys whose writing USED to be amusing.

After awhile, though, you realize that they basically continually recycle the same half-dozen column ideas. Like how comic strips are funny for the first few years and stale thereafter. Or how most bands live off their first few albums for the next 30 years.

Exactly. Whether he digs on my teams or not, I enjoyed Simmons' columns for many years. Eventually I started to notice the same recurring themes in his writing and realized he's got no new ideas. Good for him, though, I'd love to be in his position - build a solid career based on what was once "fresh," get paid and then just coast for the rest of your life. I'd trade places with him in an instant.

In the meantime, the trash talking has been accurate until proven otherwise. Denial is a powerful force. Why do the Bills fans seem to predict every year the Bills will be contenders and that the Jets,Dolphins and Pats all stink? Denial of reality.

No. It's because the Bills have won at least 7 games six out of the last ten years. They did it three of the last four years with what amounts to the same cast of characters. They nearly beat the Pats* on opening day last year, they nearly beat the 'boys on MNF a couple of years ago, and were 4-1 two years ago until Trent got whacked (and, at the time, Peter King had TE as his first-quarter MVP).

Will they win ten games this year? Probably not. But with what is clearly a better head coach I fail to see how the same group of guys could do much worse. Incidentally, a die-hard Pats* fan who is a friend of mine agrees with me on this.

Edited by MaineMoxie

I think the majority of Bills fans think Edwards is an average QB. The fans that think Edwards is going to break out are the same ones who believe Maybin needs time, Donte is a top 5 safety and Nix walks on water. Every fan base has that.

Simmons is funny but the better comparison would be, the "college break girlfriend". You come home from college on break, your old girlfriend is still hangin around town, you call her up, "hang out" and in the morning as you wake you realize what you did and say, "Did I expect things to change?"

There will be plenty of fans who have that same feeling come week 8 about Trent.

As long as that old girlfriend could still suck a golf ball through a garden hose, who cares? You're going back to college.

Now, what was your point? ;)

My fandom predicted Jonathan Stupar to do well when he joined the Buffalo Bills,

My fandom predicted Fred Jackson to be the better running back when Marshawn was still the starter,

My fandom predicted Trent Edwards to start this season when Edwards was still sitting on the bench last season and I'll be collecting $$$$ from a few folks next week when he starts,

So you just keep thinking and worrying about what other folks are thinking and I'll just keep allowing the fandom to cloud my better judgment :flirt:

Easy there Dogstradomus. It seems as if Stupar is less Tony Gonzo and more the last man standing. I think that Marshawn's problem is not his production but is consumption. And Trent has done absolutely nothing as an NFL QB and his competition was a bunch of throw aways and a 7th rounder.

So while you pat yourself on the back for your "premonitions", it turns out all of them are more circumstance than your "visions". :lol:

Guest dog14787

Easy there Dogstradomus. It seems as if Stupar is less Tony Gonzo and more the last man standing. I think that Marshawn's problem is not his production but is consumption. And Trent has done absolutely nothing as an NFL QB and his competition was a bunch of throw aways and a 7th rounder.

So while you pat yourself on the back for your "premonitions", it turns out all of them are more circumstance than your "visions". :lol:

Funny I thought Gailey had Stupar penciled in as number #1 on the depth chart before the rash of injuries/suspension occurred at the TE position.

Marshawn lacks vision and even a blind man could see it,

I predicted Trent Edwards to bring home a Championship to the City of Buffalo a long, long time ago,

what will you say when it becomes true...

Edited by dog14787