Gailey, the anti-Jauron!

8 OL, 6 S, 5 CB. Are you sure he is the anti-Jauron? What is this club's fixation with DB?

I was going to point out the same thing. Our OL lacks talent, but we're lacking bodies on the OL. A couple injuries and the Bills are razor thin on the OL.

Edited by buffaloaggie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting a lot of heat for my previous post. I have read everyone replies and I respect them. Many valid points. If I can I would like to clarify myself. IMHO, I think so many of you are so desperate to have a solid successful coach in Buffalo (including myself) that we will turn anything into a positive. OK he is holing his team accountable for not playing well. Isn't that what 99% of coaches do and should do. Yet, we are patting him on the back for the obvious because we had a previous coach who had a differnt style. I am not going to go on the record and say Jauron didn't hold his players accountable. They players played hard for him and who know what he told them behind closed doors. What a coach says to the media and behind closed door to his players can be two different things. I do admit though Jauron apppeared "soft" to say the least. Not many of us were complaining about Dick boy after his initial hire, after his first season, and when they were 5-1. So now Gailey is hired and suddenly, we all love him. We love his approach, we love his style, we love him for telling us his offensive line sucks and they have to perform better, we love him for the way he walks on the field with such dignity, we love him when he talks to us in the media, we love him for his innovative offensive, we love him for his toughness, this list doesn't stop and the coach hasn't even coached a real game. Now don't get me wrong, I am encouraged by what I see but like I said many times, I need to see more a lot more before I jump on that Gailey bandwagon. I got burned by jumping on the Levy/Jauron bangwagon and the Donahoe/Malacky/Williams bandwagon too. I don't think my position is unrealistic or invalid. I ask what is going to be any different this time around? I refuse to give a coach credit for saying the obvious. As for stating the obvious games are won with a strong offensive line and I doubt many of you would say the Bills OL is strong. This regime missed the obvious...I know many of you will not appreciate my point of view. I repect that and hope you can reply in an appropriate fashion.

Good Post MPL :thumbsup: --Way to stand your ground!

I may have to change my 'signature' after all! :blush:

Edited by BillsFanInLV

Good Post MPL :thumbsup: --Way to stand your ground!

I may have to change my 'signature' after all! :blush:

Thank you. It is not often that may skepticism and critiquing of this organization is seen in a positive light. Nevertheless, I will continue to appropriately voice my opinions without levying insults. We all are entitled to our opinions and that's the beauty of the forum.

Your screen name is fine. Hehee

Let me ask you this: What player would have a bigger impact on the Bills this year? CJ Spiller or Brian Bulaga? The O-line has to get better but CJ makes the Bills a more dangerous team instantly. That's why they picked him and not reached for a LT. Any QB or LT the Bills could have drafted at #9 would have been a huge reach.

PTR

BINGO !!!!

I remember Buddy Nix telling us at the Bills PreDraft breakfast that his philosophy was to always take the best player available in the first round when asked about Brian Bulaga and that the Bills had TWO offensive linemen rated high enough to be considered with thier 9th overall pick. Of course he didn't name names but did't take much to figure out that he meant Okung & Williams, both who were off the board when the Bills picked at 9.

Spiller hands down was the best player avilable. Period. Very solid pick. I know you agree PTR but to others just imagine if stutter step was our No. 1 back this opening day instead of CJ. He even makes the gun shy Edwards look decent so far....hope he keeps it up.

The past incompetency for 10 years of reaching for players is what doomed this team to the failures that we have all seen.

To those of you screaming that the Bills didn't go after an offensive tackles in FA...WHO? Its not like going to the five and dime and picking up a couple. With no collective barginning agreement there were fewer players that were able to test the FA waters. If Buddy Nix had felt there was a tackle he could bring in and be an upgrade over what we had he would have done it IMO. I checked out the FA list when it came out. LT's.....crickets.

To the sky is falling crowd. Print out a roster of the 4 Bills Super Bowl teams and see how they were built. Six years of good drafting, a handful of free agents and one very good trade made the core of those teams. I trust that in three years Nix will have the Bills as one of the power brokers in the NFL once again.

BINGO !!!!

I remember Buddy Nix telling us at the Bills PreDraft breakfast that his philosophy was to always take the best player available in the first round when asked about Brian Bulaga and that the Bills had TWO offensive linemen rated high enough to be considered with thier 9th overall pick. Of course he didn't name names but did't take much to figure out that he meant Okung & Williams, both who were off the board when the Bills picked at 9.

Spiller hands down was the best player avilable. Period. Very solid pick. I know you agree PTR but to others just imagine if stutter step was our No. 1 back this opening day instead of CJ. He even makes the gun shy Edwards look decent so far....hope he keeps it up.

The past incompetency for 10 years of reaching for players is what doomed this team to the failures that we have all seen.

To those of you screaming that the Bills didn't go after an offensive tackles in FA...WHO? Its not like going to the five and dime and picking up a couple. With no collective barginning agreement there were fewer players that were able to test the FA waters. If Buddy Nix had felt there was a tackle he could bring in and be an upgrade over what we had he would have done it IMO. I checked out the FA list when it came out. LT's.....crickets.

To the sky is falling crowd. Print out a roster of the 4 Bills Super Bowl teams and see how they were built. Six years of good drafting, a handful of free agents and one very good trade made the core of those teams. I trust that in three years Nix will have the Bills as one of the power brokers in the NFL once again.

I will see you in three years and we will have a little talk. I just don't blieve in trusting someone without legitmate results. Especially, given the Bills prior track record. We really don't have much to go on when judging these guys. A lot of rhetoric, one camp, and a few preseason games. I am not ready to give my blind trust to Nix/Gailey and I certainly think its far too early to call them a success or as you put it power brokers.

Edited by mpl6876

BINGO !!!!

Hi Steve! Hope all is well!!

I can't speak for others but Bulaga always looked like a RT to me and as you know from our conversations about Mike Williams, the top 10 is generally too early for a RT imo.

It is water under the bridge, but I thought at the time of the draft, the Bills needed to become bigger, stronger and better up front, and defensively they seem to have done so. :thumbsup: And like you, I knew that this was not going to happen in free agency.

The Eagles gave up a 3rd in 10 and a 3rd in 11 to move up to 13 from 23 and select Graham. There is no reason to not believe that the Bills couldn't have got at least this much or more. Or, they could have stayed put and taken Graham.

Imo, it isn't all about who is a better player. Wins matter as well. Which player will win more games for a club is a determining factor, and I do think that need does factor in as well.

Either way, if Spiller really is that good, he will help make the Bills a playoff team as soon as they can build and maintain a solid foundation. And, I'm sure that the kid will be fun to watch!

Hope to see you next month! :)

I think it is you who is "missing the big picture" which extends to more than one offseason. The comparison points to Jauron are apt, and in the big picture, point toward a much better coached and motivated team. This has shown in the pre-season to date IMO. Yes, the Bills lack depth on the OL. It does not take a genius to figure that out. I like the fact that Gailey is not afraid to call out bad play by his team and demand better. This is part of good coaching.

The talent level and depth of the Bills will not be brought up to super bowl caliber in one off season. You can disagree with the areas of concentration this year, or the general approach, but you cannnot fix everything at once. Gailey's job is to coach what he is givem, which he is doing very well so far I think.

It was pretty obvious in the offseason. Not enough was done to address the OL.

You can make excuses about needing many years to rebuild, but getting some decent competition into camp was not much to ask. It didn't get done.

Gailey shouldn't be commended for admitting that the organization failed to get better players.

I will see you in three years and we will have a little talk. I just don't blieve in trusting someone without legitmate results. Especially, given the Bills prior track record. We really don't have much to go on when judging these guys. A lot of rhetoric, one camp, and a few preseason games. I am not ready to give my blind trust to Nix/Gailey and I certainly think its far too early to call them a success or as you put it power brokers.

Bill Polian was a total unknown when he built the 1988-94 Bills. Most of the GMs who win SBs never did it before. The way you win is by finding the guys who can do it, not the guys who did it before and expect history to repeat.

PTR

It was pretty obvious in the offseason. Not enough was done to address the OL.

You can make excuses about needing many years to rebuild, but getting some decent competition into camp was not much to ask. It didn't get done.

Gailey shouldn't be commended for admitting that the organization failed to get better players.

Commending Gailey for the organization's failure, as you put it, was not the point. The original point of the OP which I was supporting is the obvious change in coaching style and what that will bring in time. I was also disagreeing with MPL's definition of big picture, which goes beyond one offseason. Everyone would like evreything fixed at one time, but that is simply not reality. Perhaps they overestimated the level of competition they did bring in, and yes, the Bills are razor thin on the OL and that is a concern. Lets see what happens over the next week. In the big picture, solid coaching and much improved front office in my opinion bode well for the future, and for competitive and entertaining football this year.

Edited by MDFan

Hi Steve! Hope all is well!!

I can't speak for others but Bulaga always looked like a RT to me and as you know from our conversations about Mike Williams, the top 10 is generally too early for a RT imo.

It is water under the bridge, but I thought at the time of the draft, the Bills needed to become bigger, stronger and better up front, and defensively they seem to have done so. :thumbsup: And like you, I knew that this was not going to happen in free agency.

The Eagles gave up a 3rd in 10 and a 3rd in 11 to move up to 13 from 23 and select Graham. There is no reason to not believe that the Bills couldn't have got at least this much or more. Or, they could have stayed put and taken Graham.

Imo, it isn't all about who is a better player. Wins matter as well. Which player will win more games for a club is a determining factor, and I do think that need does factor in as well.

Either way, if Spiller really is that good, he will help make the Bills a playoff team as soon as they can build and maintain a solid foundation. And, I'm sure that the kid will be fun to watch!

Hope to see you next month! :)

Hi Bill, hope all is good with you and family. Good post. What game will you be at? Let me know and we'll get together.

Bill Polian was a total unknown when he built the 1988-94 Bills. Most of the GMs who win SBs never did it before. The way you win is by finding the guys who can do it, not the guys who did it before and expect history to repeat.

PTR

I guess your right. Wait, how have the Colts done since he left Buffalo and went there.

Hi Bill, hope all is good with you and family. Good post. What game will you be at? Let me know and we'll get together.

I will be at 1/5 for the Jax game with Lori, Badol & Co. CL, and my "crew" lol! Richie is gonna be there too and I just can't wait. I REALLY would love it if you stopped by, and I wouldn't mind seeing our friend Mark either. ;):thumbsup::)

Going up has been an absolutely great experience for 16 consecutive years, but I have a feeling this time will be exceptionally great! :)

• 2 weeks later...