When I was young it was more important.

Jim in Anchorage

"TOO" much effort.

No, my obsessions apparently haven't changed...

Well, when you would go to parties to read in the corner, the logical step down, as you age, is to read alone in your house.

Have any of you noticed as you age[i am 53] you lose interest in some things you where obsessed with when you where younger? I used to ride my 4 wheeler all over Alaska, now find it just to much effort. Same with a lot of things. Is this a normal part of the aging process? Any of you have similar experiences?

Yes, and yes. :censored:

"TOO" much effort.

The obsessions don't change, the will to act on them does however. :devil:

Well, when you would go to parties to read in the corner, the logical step down, as you age, is to read alone in your house.

From dancing on a table with a lampshade on your head to dancing like the gopher in Caddy Shack in the shower to classic 70s rock tunes, no doubt. :unsure:

Well, at least it isn't Lawrence Welk and Mitch Miller.

Have any of you noticed as you age[i am 53] you lose interest in some things you where obsessed with when you where younger? I used to ride my 4 wheeler all over Alaska, now find it just to much effort. Same with a lot of things. Is this a normal part of the aging process? Any of you have similar experiences?

Quiet or down time is increasingly important to me - maybe because I gett little. Somewhat the same - dinner and a glass or two of wine with a couple of friends is far more of interest than hanging out with a group.

My interests have not changed, but my ability to do them at a high level and without pain has diminished. Life changes all the time and I just try to roll with it.

My interests have not changed, but my ability to do them at a high level and without pain has diminished. Life changes all the time and I just try to roll with it.

When I stand up my knees sound like a bowl of rice crispies

When I stand up my knees sound like a bowl of rice crispies

Oh yeah, I am right there with ya brother. When I go for my yearly, my doctor moves the knees around to test their flexibility and for pain...they sound so bad he says "that doesn't hurt?" and I say "no"...he says "it will"...

• 3 weeks later...

"TOO" much effort.

Good choice. Being a sanctimonious, critical personality is a hobby you can continue well into you're bitter old age.

JiA... When you say "ride your 4 wheeler all over AK." What do you mean? Actually trailering it to places and then ride? Or daily driving? ;) I can see as one ages, it probably becomes more of a bumpy kinda thing to do if you hit the trail hard. Have you noticed yourself slowing do on the trails when you do ride?

The whole procedure. Remove the tailgate from the truck[heavy] install the ramps, drive the 4 wheeler onto the truck box, reinstall tailgate. Drive to trail, reverse procedure. Ride[and it is a blast] till the inevitable flat tire/broken axle which always occurs in knee deep mud. Do Field repair to limp back to truck. Go though the loading/unloading procedure again. It is a lot of work.

Do I slow down because its bumpy? no. Alaska demands aggressive driving[as I used to remind a riding buddy of mine who was always getting stuck]"Evil Knvil didn't jump over 10 school bus's because he had good tires. He had MOMENTUM".

Any body can putter around a nice groomed trail. But when it comes to crossing rivers and climbing 45 degree rocky slopes you got to let it hang out.

The fact that I crushed two vertebrae on my 4 wheeler flipping it over I am also sure is a factor. I lost the invincibility of youth. Damn lucky I am not in a wheel chair, and I know it.

• 3 months later...

There are things that I used to love to do that I rarely do any more. I think the biggest factor is that I'm always short on time, so spending half a day (or more) screwing around with something seems like a waste of time. Curiously however, I always have time for TSW...

:rolleyes:

Alaska demands aggressive driving[as I used to remind a riding buddy of mine who was always getting stuck]"Evil Knvil didn't jump over 10 school bus's because he had good tires. He had MOMENTUM".

Any body can putter around a nice groomed trail. But when it comes to crossing rivers and climbing 45 degree rocky slopes you got to let it hang out.

The fact that I crushed two vertebrae on my 4 wheeler flipping it over I am also sure is a factor. I lost the invincibility of youth. Damn lucky I am not in a wheel chair, and I know it.

Missed this the first time around, but sgreed on the momentum bit. Nothing like your adventures I am sure, but when I was 18 I ran some 4 wheelers around the family property with my uncle. We went down into this creek, maybe twenty feel down at about 45 degrees, then 10 feet across the creek and say a 4 foot embankment at around 60 degrees. I would have made it but slowed up at the last second foolishly. Pretty much stalled out with the 4 wheeler at 90 degrees. I pushed off and hit the muddy bank. Here is the funny part, I rolled when I hit the ground kicking out and landed on my feet. I had mud on my jacket, but only along one shoulder. The 4 wheeler crashed down right where I would have been. Most athletic move of my life. Possibly saved me too. :beer:

Missed this the first time around, but sgreed on the momentum bit. Nothing like your adventures I am sure, but when I was 18 I ran some 4 wheelers around the family property with my uncle. We went down into this creek, maybe twenty feel down at about 45 degrees, then 10 feet across the creek and say a 4 foot embankment at around 60 degrees. I would have made it but slowed up at the last second foolishly. Pretty much stalled out with the 4 wheeler at 90 degrees. I pushed off and hit the muddy bank. Here is the funny part, I rolled when I hit the ground kicking out and landed on my feet. I had mud on my jacket, but only along one shoulder. The 4 wheeler crashed down right where I would have been. Most athletic move of my life. Possibly saved me too. :beer:

Yep, thats a good example. Climbing or crossing a swamp, momentum is your Friend. Takes nerve though, And I am afraid age is taking it from me :wallbash: