Brohm, Brown or Fitzpatrick, who makes the final roster?

I agree with you and The Dean also, as I too am able to see that Brohm is the best QB on this team. When Trent fails again, Brohm will get his chance and he won't look back. Unfortunately some around here are too narrow minded to see Brohms tools and abilities.

I don't know that Brohm is better than Trent right now. But I think he has the chance to be the best of the three in the long run. For a young QB with VERY little game experience he looks quite comfortable and professional out there. He has a decent skill set, too.

I have to say Trent impressed me with the QB sneak. That's the best I have ever seen him run it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I'm seeing - Edwards gets the starter spot. Fitz has a similar style or type of throw - not really fast, or hard, but a kind of lofty touch pass. Brohm, on the other hand, has bounced back from a few holding penalties with really hard, fast passes that get him 10-12 yards like a laser, and then it's back to 2nd and 8 or 9... If I were Gailey, I'd see what Brohm has as a real alternative to Edwards, if Edwards tanks. Brohm looks to me, anyway, like he could be really good. So, here's to hoping I'm seeing it as Gailey is seeing it.

I feel Brown is the most likely cut, as he is a work in progress. Fitz and Brohm are both more polished. With injuries to TE and RF last year, BB was forced into action. This scenario could easily happen again. If either Fitz or Brohm are moved, that could open the door for a start by Brown. I'm not sure he is in any way near ready for this. Also as 7th rounder interest will not be too high if waived, allowing him to move to the PS where he can continue to develope. But thats just MHO. What do you all think?

I have to agree with you Tarkus. Brohm didn't look great tonight, but Brown looked attrocious. He will probably end up on the PS but I'm not convinced he really diserves it.

I haven't been able to see all our quarterbacks perform this preseason, but given the uncertainty of how the OL will perform this season, and Trent's history with injuries it makes the most sense to keep your 3 most experienced qb's and chance your rookie to the PS. Unless Brown's really close to Brohm's level of play, which it sounds like he's not.

Actually, mine was a mildly intoxicated mini rant fueled by frustration that the InterTubes feedythingy went down for the umpeenth and final time.

In fairness to BB, I only saw his first series or two and he didn't seem to be playing lights-out - which I thought he had to do to secure a spot on the roster.

I don't 'hate' any of the 4 QBs on the roster now, but I don't particularly 'love' any of them either. I don't care which of them get to play the three amigos this year. I just hope they don't play like the three stooges.

I think Chan knows who can do the job now and who is worth keeping. I think BB has more potential than Fitz, but Fitz might be a better fit in the short term if/when TE is on pain meds, wrapped in bandages and soft casts.

Go Bills!

For what it's worth...

For the preseason, Brohm hit 21 of 37 passes for 203 yards. He had one interception (not his fault) and a passer rating of 61.0. Ryan Fitzpatrick was 15 of 23 for 138 yards with two TDs. He had a passer rating of 110.4.

About a buck and a quarter. ;)

Seriously, I'm not disappointed in how either Fitz or Brohm played during the preseason. If I'm Gailey, I keep Brohm and Brown, and let Fitz go. Fitz has basically reached his potential; he is who we thought he was. With Brohm and Brown, you have two guys with greater upside. Admittedly, this is a risky play if (when) Edwards gets tweaked and misses time -- but only Chan knows his comfort level under that scenario.

We'll find out tomorrow.

What say you, Doc?

I didn't see the game Deano (my internet connection wasn't working well and I got frustrated; I'll watch it on NFL replay). I only saw Brohm's stats and figured he had a bad game, and some early posts reflected that. Then when you (and some others) said Brohm looked good, I was surprised.

Hopefully he's kept, because as I've been saying, I can't trust Trent to consistently play well and/or stay healthy, while Fitz is a guy who plays well for a game or two and then fizzles, and Brown just isn't ready to play yet (I said before he'd definitely be #3, but he hasn't shown enough to be worried about another team "stealing" him when the Bills cut him or put him on the PS).

It's a tough call between Fitz and Brohm. Ultimately, I think Fitz gets the nod for #2 but we may very well see them keep Brohm and see if Brown clears waivers.

There is no tough call at all between Fitz and Brohm, Fitz outplayed him by a country mile in the preseason,and you know what you will get with him. The only tough call will be between Brohm and Brown for #3. The decision will come down to the following questions: Is Brohm as bad as he has played, does the new regime want to swallow their pride and get rid of their first quarterback drafted or take a chance on him not clearing waivers, which is highly possible. As many holes as this team has, not sure they want to use a pick to take a QB and not even see what he can develop into, when the alternate is a guy who has already failed with one organization and hasn't done anything to warrant being around with this one.

Actually, mine was a mildly intoxicated mini rant fueled by frustration that the InterTubes feedythingy went down for the umpeenth and final time.

In fairness to BB, I only saw his first series or two and he didn't seem to be playing lights-out - which I thought he had to do to secure a spot on the roster.

I don't 'hate' any of the 4 QBs on the roster now, but I don't particularly 'love' any of them either. I don't care which of them get to play the three amigos this year. I just hope they don't play like the three stooges.

I think Chan knows who can do the job now and who is worth keeping. I think BB has more potential than Fitz, but Fitz might be a better fit in the short term if/when TE is on pain meds, wrapped in bandages and soft casts.

Go Bills!

Fair enough

I didn't see the game Deano (my internet connection wasn't working well and I got frustrated; I'll watch it on NFL replay). I only saw Brohm's stats and figured he had a bad game, and some early posts reflected that. Then when you (and some others) said Brohm looked good, I was surprised.

Hopefully he's kept, because as I've been saying, I can't trust Trent to consistently play well and/or stay healthy, while Fitz is a guy who plays well for a game or two and then fizzles, and Brown just isn't ready to play yet (I said before he'd definitely be #3, but he hasn't shown enough to be worried about another team "stealing" him when the Bills cut him or put him on the PS).

If I were making the call based only on what I have seen in preseason, and what I have personally seen of these QBs in the past, I'd:

Keep Trent as #1 to start the season. He looks to be improved and a bit more confident than the past couple of seasons.

Fitz would start the season at #2. He'd be the guy that has to go in if/when Trent gets knocked out or falters (although NFL coaches rarely pull the QB for poor play anymore). He'd also start the week after Trent goes down and is unavailable. (This is usually a short week for QB prep as the decision isn't often made until Wednesday, and Fitz has more starting experience.)

I'd be getting BB ready to be a starting QB the way many good starting QBs are trained; Watching from the sidelines. He'd also be the guy I would look to be the eventual starter if Trent went down for an extended period. This assumes Fitz is nothing more than serviceable in any starting stints.

Brown goes to PS (hopefully passing waivers) and becomes a longer term prospect. There is no way he should be playing in a real game for at least a year or two.