So, When Do We Get a New Stadium? *****

Dr. Zaius

Right...the stadium has great sightlines, and is a very good design...one of the best. But to stay somewhat contemporary they do need to re-work it. As opposed to a $1 Billion new stadium, $150 Million in big time upgrades would buy us another 25 years....The exterior of it should be completely re-done along with the concourses and the bathrooms. There should be an entire inside area that includes restaurants and bars, and doors that shut and keep the cold outside. You dont need a dome, but wide concourses with inside activities and tvs everywhere so you can watch the game are necessary. Maybe build the team apparal store inside as well, and a Bills Museum/Hall Of Fame...Could be cool-Green Bay did it and someone drew up a mocked up version 6 months ago....

You sound like an architect. Or else like someone who is used to spending other people's money. Why does the stadium need to "stay somewhat contemporary?"

To the OP - so you are saying that the new owner MUST take on debt. Wrong answer - no debt load is one of the reasons why this team, in this market, is still making money.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Long overdue & the key to keeping the team in Western New York. A way needs to be found to get this done. I don't care if it's built in Niagara, just build the darn thing. Thoughts?

I think it's going to happen right after they complete the stadium in LA.....

You sound like an architect. Or else like someone who is used to spending other people's money. Why does the stadium need to "stay somewhat contemporary?"

To the OP - so you are saying that the new owner MUST take on debt. Wrong answer - no debt load is one of the reasons why this team, in this market, is still making money.

Actually, the new owner will be taking on massive debt regardless. Unless it's the old man's wife. So the new owner will struggle to make a dime for many years.

Yes. It HAS to be a dome. Just sayin'. Retractable roof is fine by me.

Come on, it can't be a retractable dome, that doubles the cost of the stadium and right now the tax payers cannot afford 800-900 million stadium for 10 games.

I just don't see how a new stadium helps the organization or is viable in the current market.

Long overdue & the key to keeping the team in Western New York. A way needs to be found to get this done. I don't care if it's built in Niagara, just build the darn thing. Thoughts?

Will never happen. WNY can't afford the Bills as is, let alone free up tax money for a new stadium then pay the stupid prices for tickets etc.

Right...the stadium has great sightlines, and is a very good design...one of the best. But to stay somewhat contemporary they do need to re-work it. As opposed to a $1 Billion new stadium, $150 Million in big time upgrades would buy us another 25 years....The exterior of it should be completely re-done along with the concourses and the bathrooms. There should be an entire inside area that includes restaurants and bars, and doors that shut and keep the cold outside. You dont need a dome, but wide concourses with inside activities and tvs everywhere so you can watch the game are necessary. Maybe build the team apparal store inside as well, and a Bills Museum/Hall Of Fame...Could be cool-Green Bay did it and someone drew up a mocked up version 6 months ago....

The problem with the concourses is they are mostly underground. Very expensive to move earth, not to mention it may mess with the supports of the upper deck. Maybe what you do is build a new ring around the stadium that would hold all that stuff and connect it to the rest of the stadium with long tunnels.

PTR

I think that this is a fallacy. I live in Charlotte and we have a donwtown football stadium. The stadium plus the associated parking deck and practice facility basically blot out a whole section of downtown and are rarely used. Unlike basketball/hockey arenas, football stadiums are huge and you don't fill them with rock concerts or conventions. Counting home football games, the stadium here might be used 12 dates per year. The teams doesn't even practice on it most of the time. There are the usual built in restaurants, shops and clubs but they don't justify the downtown square footage, IMO.

I am so glad someone said this. There may be good reasons for wanting a new stadium, but anyone who thinks it will be used constantly is blind to reality.

And, as said above, retractable dome = closed in winter. Can't have it both ways, people.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

Good lord, not another stadium thread.....while you are at it, do you think the Bills are moving?

Come on, it can't be a retractable dome, that doubles the cost of the stadium and right now the tax payers cannot afford 800-900 million stadium for 10 games.

I just don't see how a new stadium helps the organization or is viable in the current market.

We can't afford not to build it guy. The Ralph is antiquated. The new stadium would be multi use facility. The draw would be fantastic, provided we built it right on the edge of the falls as I have suggested.

I doubt another stadium will ever be built no matter how much some think it is needed. Case in point is Bass Pro. Bass Pro would have been ideal in Buffalo 5+ years ago when there wre not many of them. Now not so much. Time and time again the politics of the area delay projects to the point where it is not worth it or the time to get it done has past. I have a feeling that a stadium would create the same mess as Bass Pro, the Peace Bridge update, or the Univsity of Buffalo and our subway to no where.

You've got to make money year round. A downtown stadium with a retractable roof would allow us to do that, while still having the outside experience of a normal Bills game.

The money year around can be connected to what is built into and surrounding the stadium. The actual stadium bowl itself won't get that much use whether it is open or closed. How many music acts do you think are big enough to attract 40-70,000 spectators? What type of convention will call for people to sit in the seats of a stadium? I think what should be done is build restaurants into the stadium. Build a museum into the stadium (maybe move the Buffalo Sports HOF there). Run the subway line out there. Put a mall/multi-plex on the stadium grounds, a nice 3000 seat theater so a broader cross-section of musical acts can be booked there or stage plays, motivational conferences or special events.

All of that would be part of the stadium development and therefore part of the stadium. That's how money can be legitimately made year around. Cincy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, NY, NE, Chicago, Philly have NO DOMES. And none are needed in Buffalo. If the planning is done correctly. A big IF in NYS I know, but here's hoping.

Edited by purple haze

But WNY can afford to build a new stadium for the Giants and Jets? Believe me, you paid for that. It's time New York State stops ignoring the WNY area.

What? The Giants/Jets stadium is in NEW JERSEY.

The money year around can be connected to what is built into and surrounding the stadium. The actual stadium bowl itself won't get that much use whether it is open or closed. How many music acts do you think are big enough to attract 40-70,000 spectators? What type of convention will call for people to sit in the seats of a stadium? I think what should be done is build restaurants into the stadium. Build a museum into the stadium (maybe move the Buffalo Sports HOF there). Run the subway line out there. Put a mall/multi-plex on the stadium grounds, a nice 3000 seat theater so a broader cross-section of musical acts can be booked there or stage plays, motivational conferences or special events.

All of that would be part of the stadium development and therefore part of the stadium. That's how money can be legitimately made year around. Cincy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, NY, NE, Chicago, Philly have NO DOMES. And none are needed in Buffalo. If the planning is done correctly. A big IF in NYS I know, but here's hoping.

What about a Baby Joe Mesi comeback?