Maybin - stat line says 2 sacks 3 QB hits

sharper802

I haven't seen the game yet. How did Maybin look? Were these against starters or scrubs?

In the first half our Defense did not pressure Palmer at all. Maybin plays on passing downs and he was not a factor.

He had a good game against the scrubs in the second half. That tells us where his development is. I see improvement and skill but he is still a project IMO.

Guest dog14787

Maybin, other than the intentional grounding play, was driven to the ground routinely by opposing starters. He gets to the QB late and puts a hit on. Too much dancing around after plays he had no real impact on.

At times last night Maybin in my opinion looked really fast. The Bills were one of the worse teams in the League last year when it comes to pressuring the QB.

Aaron Maybin: 2 sacks, 3 QB hurries, as the second team defense came in and for the most part did a real good job securing the victory.

The Buffalo Bills have showed more depth in my opinion over the last two ball games then two very good, playoff caliber football teams in the Colts and Bengals.

Edited by dog14787

Currently he is a player who will be used as a situational pass rusher in a rotation with Torbor. 2nd/3rd and long and obvious passing situations will be his. I think this currently is a good role for him and perhaps the role that, when he was drafted, was envisioned for him early in his career until he can develop his body/technique. Say what you will about this drafting strategy, it no longer matters, he is on the team.

He looks a little over-matched at times and also seems a bit lost. He's a little unsure of himself out there and what the defense is doing. His few plays came in garbage time against a very weak Bengals 3rd team offense.

He looks athletic and fast but he doesn't have any pass rush moves other than a spin move. Most of the time he just speed rushes off the edge and by the time he gets around his block, the QB has already stepped up in the pocket and delivers his throw.

Maybin is young though. He needs to add more bulk. Like 10-15lbs of it. He also needs to be coached up and learn this defense, as well as arm himself with a better repetoire of pass rush moves. But I also think this team needs to do a better job of putting him in positions where he can use his speed to be effective. He's got a ways to go, but I haven't given up on him yet. And neither should any Bills fans.

Well stated. :thumbsup:

Really Maybin should serve as the cautionary tale of pre-draft hype. The next time someone creams their jeans over the next can't-miss stud, I hope they take a good look at the player and ask "why?" One-year wonders like Maybin ought to be a huge red flag.

PTR

Guest dog14787

Really Maybin should serve as the cautionary tale of pre-draft hype. The next time someone creams their jeans over the next can't-miss stud, I hope they take a good look at the player and ask "why?" One-year wonders like Maybin ought to be a huge red flag.

PTR

With all due respect PTR, this notion that every player is going to come into the National Football league and make an immediate impact is not very practical. You said it yourself, the kid lacks experience, so Why not give him some before we close the book on Aaron Maybin

I picked Aaron Maybin to lead the Buffalo Bills in sacks this season and its exactly why we drafted him,

lets pick up this conversation again towards the end of the season...

Edited by dog14787

With all due respect PTR, this notion that every player is going to come into the National Football league and make an immediate impact is not very practical. You said it yourself, the kid lacks experience, so Why not give him some before we close the book on Aaron Maybin

I picked Aaron Maybin to lead the Buffalo Bills in sacks this season and its exactly why we drafted him,

lets pick up this conversation again towards the end of the season...

I'm not saying Maybin won't become a good player. What I'm saying is don't draft projects at #1. Spiller is a #1 worthy player because he instantly makes you better. Maybin should have been a 6th rounder. The fact he held out is an even bigger insult.

PTR

Guest dog14787

I'm not saying Maybin won't become a good player. What I'm saying is don't draft projects at #1. Spiller is a #1 worthy player because he instantly makes you better. Maybin should have been a 6th rounder. The fact he held out is an even bigger insult.

PTR

Your evaluation of Maybin is a bit premature though don't you think, and you can't blame Aaron Maybin for doing what his agent tells him to do in my opinion.

I'm not saying Maybin won't become a good player. What I'm saying is don't draft projects at #1.

I seem to recall that, before the draft, Buddy hinted at this very thing - he needs to see a player demonstrate a full body of work from anyone before considering them for an early round pick. And I agree with this.

He only played well vrs some backups and guys who wont make the Bengals roster. He barely played vrs the firsts and when he did he generated little to no pressure. He is starting to play better agaisnt the bums though. I guess thats something to be excited about?

Optimistically speaking....the guy has the potential to be a decent situational pass rusher. Over the course of the pre-season, it seems that he has developed, with the help of some good coaching, some tools to help compensate for his lack of size and strength. I noticed that pretty little "dip move" that he used on his second sack. Granted, it was against a second-third stringer, but he made the guy look foolish. Best case scenario...Elvis Dumerville 2.0, worst case scenario...Vernon Gholston.