I've seen a weird animal near my house

Huuuge Bills

Over the last year or so, on my way home (around 12:45 at night)I have been seeing a weird animal. It's always running across the street on Grand Island BLVD. It looks exactly like a jackal, but it is all black.

Two problems with that however, jackals aren't black, and they live in Africa. Here's a picture of one. It has the long face, long ears, long thin body, and long tail just like the picture.

It's not a coyote, I've seen plenty of those around here, and it definitely isn't one of those. And it isn't a fox, seen plenty of those too.

So anyone know of any other canines native to WNY that this thing could be? BTW, I live on Grand Island.

Edited by Huuuge Bills

Over the last year or so, on my way home (around 12:45 at night)I have been seeing a weird animal. It's always running across the street on Grand Island BLVD. It looks exactly like a jackal, but it is all black.

Two problems with that however, jackals aren't black, and they live in Africa. Here's a picture of one. It has the long face, long ears, long thin body, and long tail just like the picture.

It's not a coyote, I've seen plenty of those around here, and it definitely isn't one of those. And it isn't a fox, seen plenty of those too.

So anyone know of any other canines native to WNY that this thing could be? BTW, I live on Grand Island.

What Dev said.

How about a good old fashioned feral dog? You never know, it could be a jackal that some idiot thought would make a nice pet and then when it got a little to wild, let it go out the backdoor forever. You never know.....

How about a good old fashioned feral dog? You never know, it could be a jackal that some idiot thought would make a nice pet and then when it got a little to wild, let it go out the backdoor forever. You never know.....

Pffft! What do you know?! It's a chupacabra! 'Nuff said.

Chupacabra

I'm gonna get a camera and try to get a few pictures of it, although I doubt chupacabra has made it up to Buffalo.

I thought about feral dogs, but this thing is only out at night, never during the day. Dogs would hunt more during the day I would think. Plus the only dogs that I have seen this long and skinny are greyhounds, and they don't have the bushy tails or large upright ears.

I really do think someone may have had a pet jackal (somehow), and done what you described. I can't seem to think of any other animal to fit the description so well.

Edited by Huuuge Bills

I ran over one of these with my Bently one time. I was looking for squirrells and saw it but figured what the heck. Is that it?

Could it be a black wolf perhaps?

Much too small to be a wolf.

I ran over one of these with my Bently one time. I was looking for squirrells and saw it but figured what the heck. Is that it?

That fisher cat is the right size, and right color. But the legs are too fat, and it has very small ears. Maybe a fisher cat and coyote/ jackal/ fox/ wolf/ dog somehow made dirty cross species love and this thing was the end result.

A guy I work with also saw it, he came to the same conclusion that I did.

Edited by Huuuge Bills