Brohm this Saturday

Coach55

I go with Trent playing into the 3rd, if that is as long as Cinnci keeps their firsts in (unless he blows bad or gets injured). 2 and 3, play the rest of the game, Brown sits. Next game Trent plays 1 quarter or less, 2 and 3 play the rest of the time. They keep all four until final cuts. Brown goes PS, it is worth the chance to lose him IMO (which has changed 2 times about this in the last week alone).

This quote kindof stuck out for me: "Football wasn't that much fun for me or my teammates," Edwards says. "It's tough going to (work). You're sitting there with a 5-10 (record) and going to a Wednesday practice knowing you're at the facility for 12 hours. The game's outcome doesn't really matter. It's not an enjoyable position."

This doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Trent's drive or dedication to succeed in the NFL.

Edited by reddogblitz

Gailey is going to do what is best for the Buffalo Bills and not what is best for a player who may be cut. If Gailey did anything else, he'd be a fool. If he is planning on cutting a guy already in his mind, then I wouldn't expect that player to get any playing time at all -- and that is exactly as it SHOULD be. It helps the organization in no way to play someone they will cut. The ONLY way it could help Buffalo is if the player was trade-worthy, but I don't think that is the case here. And if he goes out and has a great showing, then you have to re-evaluate the idea of keeping the player anyhow.

Hence why I don't think they will play Fitz. I think at this point, the #2 spot is Brohm's to lose and if he has another good showing this week, Fitz is done.

This quote kindof stuck out for me: "Football wasn't that much fun for me or my teammates," Edwards says. "It's tough going to (work). You're sitting there with a 5-10 (record) and going to a Wednesday practice knowing you're at the facility for 12 hours. The game's outcome doesn't really matter. It's not an enjoyable position."

This doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Trent's drive or dedication to succeed in the NFL.

But hey they won that next week, go figure. Maybe it is work and work isn't always enjoyable.

But hey they won that next week, go figure. Maybe it is work and work isn't always enjoyable.

Yeah, but Trent didn't play, Fitz did. The team was 5-10 for Fitz too and he was able to get motivated. That's why I favor Fitz in this thing. Trent just doesn't have the attention span and mental toughness needed for the job. I'll take the winner over the guy who could be really good someday if he just got the right coach, offensive line, right gloves, stop-the-run defense, good weather, and a good QB coach year over year.

Edited by reddogblitz

From that article.

Edwards' play in 2009 reignited the dreaded quarterback debate: Should the Bills start him, Fitzpatrick, Brohm — or dump all of them? The trio entered camp ranked in that order, and Gailey says, "No one has done anything extremely good or extremely bad to change the position, but that could change.

So it looks like Brohm is 3. Hmmm. if they are only keeping 3, and Brown is likely one of them, what does that mean?

I have a feeling that it means unless Brohm looks like Joe Montana in his prime, he will be looking for a job in a week or so. He hasn't been very good in the preseason, and Fitz has been himself, not the greatest but you know what you get with him, and he does seem to find ways, maybe ugly ways, but he finds ways to win on occasion. Brohm hasn't come close to winning an NFL game, and might never come close to winning either.

He was a 7th round draft pick, do you honestly think anybody cares what Buffalo does, and what has Brown done to attract attention, zero (not saying he's played bad)

Levi Brown is going on the practice squad in my opinion, one injury puts Fitz or Brohm on the field starting, two injuries, puts the back up in and Levi Brown is no where near ready to play.

Brings back a memory from three years ago. Edwards comes in for Losman in just his second game of professional football and drives the team 80 yards for a touchdown in Foxboro. Remember how great Edwards looked in those pre-season games that season. Brown has looked like a fish out of water so far. He's not close to being in the same league as Edwards. Brown gets on the practice squad at best and may get cut if they don't want to carry three QBs on the active roster. Brohm and Fitz will stick to back up because with our sorry OL, no QB will last long. On that last point, I hope I am dead wrong.

Yeah, but Trent didn't play, Fitz did. The team was 5-10 for Fitz too and he was able to get motivated. That's why I favor Fitz in this thing. Trent just doesn't have the attention span and mental toughness needed for the job. I'll take the winner over the guy who could be really good someday if he just got the right coach, offensive line, right gloves, stop-the-run defense, good weather, and a good QB coach year over year.

Yeah I knew you were going to bring up the he didn't play thing lol, just trying to be a supportive fan here as it seems the coach thinks he the best one. So I support it, if he picks Fitz as back up (which I kind of agree he might) I will support that as well. I am a little surprised ANY ppl around here like Fitz but I feel pretty much as you do about him too. I think we will see what Brohm is made of finally and who knows he may do great then I would change my position about it but I don't see it happening.

I still think Trent should get the final chance but really it is his last. I hope finally he will make something of it.

Fitz is # 3, brown gets cut and put on the practice squad. No one is going to pick up buffalo 4th qb and 7th rd pick and give him a roster spot. Chan shouldn't even play him and save everyone the worry. It more then likely then going to have a very high pick in the upcoming draft and if they get to the point where either fitz or Brown is playing, their likely going to have the first pick in the draft and are going to draft a Qb, so it really doesn't matter either way.

I am a little surprised ANY ppl around here like Fitz but I feel pretty much as you do about him too.

I am a lot surprised that there's hardly any people on here who want to see Fitz be the opening day starter vs the Fish like I do.

Why does this guy get no credit for the Bills having a record of 5-4 with the same team the other QBs led to 1-6?

There are plenty of examples in NFL history of a team struggling and then changing QBs and doing markedly better. Under Craig Morton, who Ralph says in his book was one of greatest and smartest athletes he ever coached, the Cowboys did well and got to a SB that they lost. Then they replaced him with Roger Staubach and they went on to win 2 out of 4 Super Bowls in like 8 years or something like that. Under Tony Banks, the 2000 Ravens weren't winning until they replaced him with Trent Dilfer. Trent D is a leader as was Roger and my next example. Doug Flutie. The Bills stunk and were going nowhere until Doug took over. What Rob J had in size, quick release, "upside" whatever, Flutie made up for it in leadership.

I'm not saying Ryan is as good as any of these guys, but he somehow gets to the other guys on the team to play better. Leadership. It's huge for a QB in the NFL. Without it you're doomed. Ryan has it, TE and BB don't.

I just think that way too many of you are hung up on quick release, high draft choice, size, strong arm, and "upside".

Fitz or Trent or Brohm or maybe even Levi are probably not "franchise qbs". Therefore, I think we should play the guy that gives us the best chance to win. Last year shows us it's Ryan as does pre season this year. I believe that having Ryan as our starter this season could be the difference in going 9-7 or 4-12 or 5-11 with Trent/Brohm.

Correct me if I'm wrong…but Brohm has only started one NFL game. That means he's only had one chance. And it wasn't much of a chance either.

As I recall, it was a last-minute decision by Fewell to even start Brohm, as well, so his preparation for that one start was probably haphazard, at best.

Correct me if I'm wrong…but Brohm has only started one NFL game. That means he's only had one chance. And it wasn't much of a chance either.

As I recall, it was a last-minute decision by Fewell to even start Brohm, as well, so his preparation for that one start was probably haphazard, at best.

On top of that he'd been a member of a very dysfunctional team for just five weeks before that start.

But he's never accomplished anything so he sucks.

I agree with this.

What if Chan is on the fence with cutting Trent or not?

Chan knows what he has in Fitz and likes what he sees in Brohm (who has a higher ceiling) therefor wants to know why Trent was benched last year by 2 coaches. He is giving Trent first team reps and starting preseason games to see how/why he was beached last year and to also see how the team responds to him before he makes any drastic decisions.

People look at Trent with first team reps and starting preseason and automatically assume he is #1 on the depth chart, I don't. That would be too cut and dried, I think Chan is up to something as he won't tip his hand, since he has said this is an open QB competition and has not committed to anything yet. I think Trent is the odd man out.

Gailey also seems to be a nice guy so if he has already made up his mind he would be inclined to let the one who is getting cut play so he can have some more film to shop himself around with. You never know what goes on in the head of a HC this time of year. :)

I don't buy into that. Bills/Gailey are in no position to give reps to someone just to establish a film record for another team. Whatever the QB rotation, its based exclusively on what he needs to see to evaluate who he wants to keep. I don't think he has or should have a concern for anything else... after 10 years of losing you think he's worried about where someone's next job will be?

Brohm will be second QB to play on Saturday. TE will start the season as #1. Brohm will be #2. Brown will go to the practice squad, while Fitz gets cut. But we can always get Fitz back if TE or BB gets hurt as no one will pick Fitz up. If Fitz is the second QB in on Saturday I will change my opinion.

Change your opinion yet? No coach cuts his #1 veteran backup QB to keep two unknown quantities unless the starter is entrenched like a Manning and the backup doesn't stand much of a chance of getting in. With Edwards injury history, Gailey never intended to throw away an entire season by getting rid of Fitzpatrick. Now I wouldn't be surprised at all if not only does Brown get cut, but he never gets on the practice squad because there's only room to develop 1 project & it's more likely to be Brohm than Brown. I think whoever gets cut-Brohm or Brown is gone for good.