Now we know why Brohm was #3

Besides Flynn's limited but excellent college career, Flynn is playing in one of the NFL's top offensive systems.

Aaron Rodgers is 41-of-53 for 470 yards and six touchdowns with no interceptions this preseason. Flynn's performance has been uneven at times but he's getting more comfortable within this high-powered machine.

Green Bay is one of those passing offenses which seem to be very finely tuned.

Similarly, Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon haven't missed a beat in Pittsburgh this offseason when Big Ben has been out.

Matt Cassel didn't drop off much when Brady went down in 2008.

Sorgi always looked good coming in for Peyton Manning.

Some offenses seem to thrive regardless of which of their QBs is under center.

Hopefully the Buffalo offense becomes one of these "quarterback friendly systems."

This. Except I disagree on the Indy part. Everyone that's come in for Manning has looked terrible, especially since Sorgi left. But take your examples a step further and the point is further exemplified: look what happened to Leftwich in Tampa or Cassel in KC. Often times it's just about the system. That's why in my heart, I believe that if Brady had gone elsewhere he'd have been no better than a solid QB. Manning, on the other hand, was destined for greatness, no matter where he landed. Just my opinion, though.

True. But it was going to cost them more money, cash for bonus and a two year deal. Who knows? The point really is that the Packers wanted him, they just didn't desperately want to save him to be a third string quarterback. Pretty much any team that is down to their third string QB is out of the playoff picture. The Packers decided they were going to only keep two QBs and have stuck with that. The fact that they did want to add him and cut a guy also says that they thought something of him.

The fact is, no one knows what they really thought of him. They tried but didn't try hard to keep him. That's about all we know for sure. Everything else from myself, you, albany and everyone else is conjecture.

Tell that to the '01 Patriots. Or the '99 49ers. Or the '02 Eagles.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...Just my 'drunken' thoughts. Go Bills!

I hope you are drunk, at least that would give you an excuse for those "thoughts." Allow me to remind you of one small minor fact as you talk about how awesome Flynn looked: it is the pre-season.

How much more proof do you need that the pre-season means nothing and tells you nothing about players' real talents, then when the Lions went 4-0-0 during one memorable pre-season a couple years ago and then followed that up with a slick 0-16-0 regular season??

Sure Matt Flynn beat out Brian Brohm two straight pre-seasons to win the back up job behind Rogers. Good for him. But please don't point to a meaningless game against Colts back ups or starters with zero game planning for a few series, as to "how good a QB you think he is."

Let's see Flynn go 2-2-0 as the starter over a 4 game period that Rogers is out with an injury, to keep the Packers playoff hopes alive, in the middle of a regular season, and then I'll believe the kid might make it as a starter someday. Until then, he can be Joe Montana / John Elway / Tom Brady / Peyton Manning all rolled up into one in fake games played in the month of August, year in and year out. It means nothing to me.

If Brohm gets cut, losing out to Fitz as back-up this season, then he just plain sucks. But if he beats out Fitz, we will most likely get to see how he performs in real time, when Trenty goes down a few games this season.

Edited by BillsPhan

Tell that to the '01 Patriots. Or the '99 49ers. Or the '02 Eagles.

Why? Brady was the back-up at the start of the season, not #3.

I have no idea what you're getting at with the '99 49ers, they were 4-12.

If you were talking 2000, they were 6-10. If you were talking 98, they only had Steve Young and Ty Detmer throw passes.

The Eagles in 02 you may have a point. They played three, but I can't recall if Koy Detmer was #2 or #3. If he was the back-up and then Feeley came in and played the 5-6 games then yes, they went to the playoffs on their #3 QB playing extensive time. Detmer really only played one game.

I stand by the point.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

So what. In 1994 Kurt Warner was released by Green Bay. He couldn't beat out Ty Detmer for the 3rd string QB position. Every GM in the league passed on him as well. He ended up playing Arena Football until the Rams gave him a call. Look how he ended up.

He wasn't a high profile 2nd round pick. Brohm can't carry or even sniff Warner's jock.

When you sober up, ponder this: Flynn might be better than Brohm, that's not the reason I dismiss Brohm. After viewing all films, scouting his pro(2 pre-seasons) & college career, all the GMs in the NFL did nothing to get Brian Brohm on their 53 man roster last September. Any time a team is about to waive a guy with as a high a profile as Brohm (2008 2nd round QB), they don't just throw him out on the waiver wire, they try to trade him, and get something back, rather than lose him for nothing. Obviously, nobody was willing to give up ANY draft pick for the guy, and then all 31 other GMs let him sail through waivers without claiming him. It's not about Rodgers & Flynn ahead of him. It's aboutthe fact that any team could have had Brian Brohm for nothing other than a roster spot & passed.

Now the real Brohm fanatics will continue with the BS about GB's crowded roster or that other teams were too set with guys like Printer,J. Palmer, Ratliff, Hoyer, Ainge, O'Connell, Shockley, Hanie, Daniel, Bomar, Null, and other more high profile losers with more experience, but the bottom line is that the other GMs thought more of keeping the no names I've listed instead of cutting any of these guys in order to get Brian Brohm on their roster. I didn't even list any guys picked in early rounds, like the 4th who could have been cut in favor of Brohm if that team though Brohm was half the player his fans around here think he is. The Jets kept 4 QBs including Erik Ainge & Kevin O'Connell and slept soundly letting Brohm sail by them on waivers. Face it, it wasn't just GB letting him go for nothing, teams around the league saw such a flawed player nobody in the league thought he was worth a simple waiver claim. That's reality.

Pretty sobering stuff. Maybe more of the Brohm fans need to stay away from the brewskies when they watch him play & then they could see why all the GMs and their pro/college scouts thought he was trash when GB waived him.

You're so right. I'll take back the statements from my original post where I said Brohm was the second coming of Kelly.....and where I wrote Brohm was a steal off the Waiver wire.....or where I wrote NFL GM's and coaches let a diamond slip through the cracks only for the Bills to steal. Thing is.....I never said any of those things. :doh:

In fact, I stated Flynn looked great and it's easy to see why Brohm was released.

I think YOU need a drink. :beer:

Why? Brady was the back-up at the start of the season, not #3.

I have no idea what you're getting at with the '99 49ers, they were 4-12.

If you were talking 2000, they were 6-10. If you were talking 98, they only had Steve Young and Ty Detmer throw passes.

The Eagles in 02 you may have a point. They played three, but I can't recall if Koy Detmer was #2 or #3. If he was the back-up and then Feeley came in and played the 5-6 games then yes, they went to the playoffs on their #3 QB playing extensive time. Detmer really only played one game.

I stand by the point.

Brady was the #3. Damon Huard was the #2.

The '99 49ers were down to their #3 QB Jeff Garcia, but you're right, they sucked that year. I got that one confused with their '02 season.

The '02 Eagles went to Koy Detmer after McNabb went down, but Detmer got hurt too and AJ Feeley came in and won a bunch of games as the #3.

The only other time I could think of was '05 when Marc Bulger went down, then Jamie Martin came in, got hurt/sucked, and Ryan Fitzpatrick came in and lit it up that game for like 400 yards in his first NFL appearance. Too bad he threw 8 INT's over the next three starts and the Rams went something like 4-12.

Oh, how about Steamin' Willie Beamin? He was a #3.

So, two out of three I guess. Plus one fictional.

Edited by Leonidas

I hope you are drunk, at least that would give you an excuse for those "thoughts." Allow me to remind you of one small minor fact as you talk about how awesome Flynn looked: it is the pre-season.

How much more proof do you need that the pre-season means nothing and tells you nothing about players' real talents, then when the Lions went 4-0-0 during one memorable pre-season a couple years ago and then followed that up with a slick 0-16-0 regular season??

Sure Matt Flynn beat out Brian Brohm two straight pre-seasons to win the back up job behind Rogers. Good for him. But please don't point to a meaningless game against Colts back ups or starters with zero game planning for a few series, as to "how good a QB you think he is."

Let's see Flynn go 2-2-0 as the starter over a 4 game period that Rogers is out with an injury, to keep the Packers playoff hopes alive, in the middle of a regular season, and then I'll believe the kid might make it as a starter someday. Until then, he can be Joe Montana / John Elway / Tom Brady / Peyton Manning all rolled up into one in fake games played in the month of August, year in and year out. It means nothing to me.

If Brohm gets cut, losing out to Fitz as back-up this season, then he just plain sucks. But if he beats out Fitz, we will most likely get to see how he performs in real time, when Trenty goes down a few games this season.

Jeeeeez. :sick:

I simply stated that Flynn looked good. I also stated that he had talent around him.

Now, before that fat vein bursts in your head, step back from the computer and cool off.

As you said It's just pre-season and "means nothing."

For the final time-how difficult is it for some people to understand that GB preferred to try to keep a guy around as an insurance policy against injury who already knew their system. It's that simple-it was November, nobody coming in would know their offense like Brohm did. What about the question I always ask when someone makes the statement you did-If GB really wanted Brohm, why didn't they try to EXCEED the Bills' deal which was only for last season & this one with no guarantees? The GB counter offer is just more BS from Brohm lovers blinded by his college stats. If you love college stats, go and start a "Bring Timmy Chang to Buffalo" club.

and maybe for this same reason no one wanted to go after the guy. at the start of the season teams have their rosters set so isn't it possibly logical that they didn't want to take a project and try to have him learn a new system when they already had their own people that have been in their system, regardless that he was a second round pic.. we didnt even grab him till the injuries got real bad. Most people here agree that greenbay tried to stash him away and it backfired on them. You are one of only a handfull of people that think like this.

He wasn't a high profile 2nd round pick. Brohm can't carry or even sniff Warner's jock.

I really don't see what difference this makes. gm's still passed over warner as they did brohm. as far as I am concerned it's too early to tell if he'll turn out like warner or not. you really didnt even listen to buffalo prides comment cuz your so caught up in your hate for brohm. Every gm passed on warner. read this s l o w l y albany, every gm passed on warner and he ended up as one of the best qbs ever. now i am not saying this will happen with brohm. but if every gm can pass on warner and he turn out the way he did, it IS PLAUSABLE that this could happen to Brohm.

You're so right. I'll take back the statements from my original post where I said Brohm was the second coming of Kelly.....and where I wrote Brohm was a steal off the Waiver wire.....or where I wrote NFL GM's and coaches let a diamond slip through the cracks only for the Bills to steal. Thing is.....I never said any of those things. :doh:

In fact, I stated Flynn looked great and it's easy to see why Brohm was released.

I think YOU need a drink. :beer:

Here's what you stated: Many Dismissed Brohm because he lost his starting job to a 7th round pick, it's obvious the Packers saw something promising in Flynn.

My answer was why I have dismissed Brohm. Then I went on to state the excuses Brohm fans use, because if I didn't they'd come back with them, like they always do. Did I ever say that you think Brohm is the savior, like some of the people around here have been telling us all offseason? Maybe you need to STOP drinking.

and maybe for this same reason no one wanted to go after the guy. at the start of the season teams have their rosters set so isn't it possibly logical that they didn't want to take a project and try to have him learn a new system when they already had their own people that have been in their system, regardless that he was a second round pic.. we didnt even grab him till the injuries got real bad. Most people here agree that greenbay tried to stash him away and it backfired on them. You are one of only a handfull of people that think like this.

Okay, I'll bite. How did it backfire on them exactly?

I really don't see what difference this makes. gm's still passed over warner as they did brohm. as far as I am concerned it's too early to tell if he'll turn out like warner or not. you really didnt even listen to buffalo prides comment cuz your so caught up in your hate for brohm. Every gm passed on warner. read this s l o w l y albany, every gm passed on warner and he ended up as one of the best qbs ever. now i am not saying this will happen with brohm. but if every gm can pass on warner and he turn out the way he did, it IS PLAUSABLE that this could happen to Brohm.

Could it happen? Of course. Monkeys could also come flying out of my ass, but I don't expect it to. For every Warner you give me, I'll give you fifty guys that flamed out immediately. In fact, who else is there besides Warner? Maybe Romo, although offered a contract with Denver, he spent his entire career in Dallas, so I'm not sure he qualifies.

Look, I'm rooting for Brohm to succeed, but my making comparisons between him an Warner you're doing him a disservice. And there are too many people who are caught up in his college stats and name recognition that don't realize thus far he's been a tremendous bust, and if he doesn't get to the top of this pile of **** at QB his career is pretty much over.

Brady was the #3. Damon Huard was the #2.

The '99 49ers were down to their #3 QB Jeff Garcia, but you're right, they sucked that year. I got that one confused with their '02 season.

The '02 Eagles went to Koy Detmer after McNabb went down, but Detmer got hurt too and AJ Feeley came in and won a bunch of games as the #3.

The only other time I could think of was '05 when Marc Bulger went down, then Jamie Martin came in, got hurt/sucked, and Ryan Fitzpatrick came in and lit it up that game for like 400 yards in his first NFL appearance. Too bad he threw 8 INT's over the next three starts and the Rams went something like 4-12.

Oh, how about Steamin' Willie Beamin? He was a #3.

So, two out of three I guess. Plus one fictional.

Sorry, in 2000, over the course of the season, Brady went from #4 (they kept four) to #2 by the end of the season, Beating out John Freisz and Michael Bishop. Brady then beat out Huard in the 2001 pre-season and was #2, which is why he came in when Bledsoe went down.

Yeah, it's wikipedia but still what happened as I recall as well.

Following the 2000 season, Huard was signed by the New England Patriots as a free agent. In the team's 2001 training camp, Huard competed with second-year Tom Brady and Michael Bishop for the backup job behind long-time starter Drew Bledsoe; Brady would become the team's second quarterback and Huard the third for the start of the season. When Bledsoe was injured in Week 2, Brady became the Patriots' starter for the remainder of the season, while Huard was the backup until Bledsoe returned in Week 10. Huard, as the third quarterback, won his first Super Bowl ring in February 2002 with a Patriots win over the St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Damon_Huard

And from the official Pats website:

Utilized as the Patriots back-up quarterback for seven weeks (Week 3-Week 9) in 2001 … Listed as the third quarterback for nine weeks during the regular season and all three postseason games.

Read more at: http://www.patriots.com/alumni/index.cfm?ac=alumnibiosdetail&bio=10271&cp

He was #3 until Bledsoe was hurt, then #2 for the time Bledsoe was sidelined, then back to #3.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

18 years and only two starting QB's is amazing in itself, whats even more amazing is the first QB leads the NFL in almost every category(Brett Favre) and the 2nd QB Aaron Rodgers could very well be one of the best QB's that's ever played the game. The pocket awareness that Rodgers displays is incredible, along with the pin point accuracy, great running ability yadda, yadda yadda, is there anything Rodgers can't do well, I don't think so,

Even Graham Harrell has shown glimpses of potential throughout preseason (Packers 3rd stringer)so yes,I would venture to say the Packers know a thing or two about QB's.

Jeeez... are they popping these guys outta cheese moulds or something? Based on their history I guess I am all for trying to snipe prospects off of their practice squad as the Bills have…

Sorry, in 2000, over the course of the season, Brady went from #4 (they kept four) to #2 by the end of the season, Beating out John Freisz and Michael Bishop. Brady then beat out Huard in the 2001 pre-season and was #2, which is why he came in when Bledsoe went down.

Yeah, it's wikipedia but still what happened as I recall as well.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Damon_Huard

And from the official Pats website:

He was #3 until Bledsoe was hurt, then #2 for the time Bledsoe was sidelined, then back to #3.

Wow, I stand corrected. That was one of those things I knew that I knew without even looking it up...and then it turns out, I was wrong. I could have sworn Huard came in first and was either hurt or pulled for being ineffective. I remember Michael Bishop being worthless and cut, but I thought Huard was above Brady on the depth chart. Ahh, oh well.

You say that Trent lost his confidence over a few good hits...BS. Do you think a young Jim Kelly would lose confidence after a concussion? No way in hell. He would want to tear somebody's head off. Trent is a kitty, he never had "it" so how do you lose "it". This is Football, your gonna get rocked, especially a QB with a terrible line, but that's why they make tons of money. Quit making excuses for Trent, he's had more than his fair share of chances. Stop blaming the coaches and every other excuse you can come up with. He finally showed off his 1 testicle when he got hit in the Indy game, lost 1/2 of tooth and came back and threw a bomb to Evans. Now if his other nut will decend he may gain the "it" factor he's been missing.

I am amazed at how I just used the P _ _ _ y word to describe Trent and it turned into Kitty! Is somebody in my computer editing my vulgarity? I'm a little paranoid. Will my mouth suddenly taste soapy? I had no idea this site was policed, live and learn.

kitty :flirt: Just had to see if we have an auto censor :rolleyes:

kitty :flirt: Just had to see if we have an auto censor :rolleyes:

Yep

Here's what you stated: Many Dismissed Brohm because he lost his starting job to a 7th round pick, it's obvious the Packers saw something promising in Flynn.

My answer was why I have dismissed Brohm. Then I went on to state the excuses Brohm fans use, because if I didn't they'd come back with them, like they always do. Did I ever say that you think Brohm is the savior, like some of the people around here have been telling us all offseason? Maybe you need to STOP drinking.

Mom? Is that you? :w00t:

Edited by BillsFanInLV

Okay, I'll bite. How did it backfire on them exactly?

Could it happen? Of course. Monkeys could also come flying out of my ass, but I don't expect it to. For every Warner you give me, I'll give you fifty guys that flamed out immediately. In fact, who else is there besides Warner? Maybe Romo, although offered a contract with Denver, he spent his entire career in Dallas, so I'm not sure he qualifies.

Look, I'm rooting for Brohm to succeed, but my making comparisons between him an Warner you're doing him a disservice. And there are too many people who are caught up in his college stats and name recognition that don't realize thus far he's been a tremendous bust, and if he doesn't get to the top of this pile of **** at QB his career is pretty much over.

well, they invested a second round pic for him. He didn't outplay Flynn and for whatever reason they wanted the roster spot normally set aside for a third qb to go for another position, thinking they could develop him on their practice squad. no one wants to waste a second round pic. So they took a calculated risk by waiving him. And then we became desperate for a qb and snatched him away from them. kinda like if we put brown on the practice squad and he gets plucked away. but he was a 7th round pic as opposed to a 2nd so not too many people would be upset about that, except maybe the bills who want to develop him.

I was just sticking up for buffalo pride. he wasnt comparing warner to brohm, just the fact that gm's sometimes pass over people that turn out good. there's many qbs that are later round pics or undrafted that make it. brady, warner, romo, waren moon was undrafted. can't think of anymore of the top of my head. but its just not qbs but all sorts of positions. our own jackson was on the practice squad and look at him now. guys can develop. it happens all the time. some take more time than others and some become busts. And I'm pulling for Brohm also because that would be great for the team. If he ends up being good then next year hopefully our first round pic can go oline instead of qb. but to call him a bust at this point I don't think is fair. He hasn't lived up to his potential yet as a second round pic. when he gets his chance to play a few games this year, cuz we all know edwards will get hurt at some point, then maybe we'll get our answer.

O-Line will not look nearly as bad as last year. Gailey runs a lot of misdirection and play-action. Plus this line is built to run block. If, and I say If, the team is capable of running early and often, Trent will be left with very makeable 3rd downs which will only need 3 step drops and quick releases. I am willing to wager that the Bills O-Line gives up no more than 2/3 the amount of sacks they let up last year and there is a very good chance they will let up less than half.

You don't know those things will happen,all you c an do is hope they do.

I recall wachting last years line and the later it got in the game the worse the O line played. The Bills are facing three playoff caliber teams in their own division. I'd honestly like what your saying to be true, in reality I don't see those tackles holding any block for more then 3 seconds in the fourth QTR. So if it gets to 3rd and long I simply don't see the Bills having much success with any of the current QB's as none will have time to throw deep.

Agreed, this Flynn kids looks about 3 times better than Brian Brohm. Why is it when I watch these pre season games I see teams with 2, sometimes 3 QBs better than out best guy, whoever that is. Green Bay, Dallas, Seattle, New Orleans, Tennessee, and San Diego immediately come to mind. Is it coaching? Scouting? Drafting?

Becasue the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.......................

As for Brohm, no one is saying he is the saviour, just to give the guy a chance, he might show something considering he was a 2nd rounder and had a good college career. Just because he hasn't shown it yet, doesn't mean he can't. This is only what, his 3rd year in the NFL? GB didn't exactly give up on him, they still tried to keep him but he chose to leave and go to Buffalo cause he knew he had a better chance to start instead of playing backup in GB