Brohm Vs Flynn

VABills

3 seasons ago, GB knew they needed at least one QB. They drafted a can't miss kid by the name of Brian Brohm and a future growth QB by the name of Matt Flynn. But it seems even with injuries in preseason this Flynn kid outplayed the high profile pick of Brohm who was a high 2nd round pick. In 3 seasons in the NFL, the high profile can't miss kid has played in 10 preseason and rgular season games. This practice squad expected 7th rounder has played in parts of 11 preseason and regular season games. Several of them just to take a knee at the end protecting their #1 QB in GB. The high profile kid has been reelegated to the practice squad both seasons. So in 10 games the 2nd round drafted player has ZERO (0) TD's and SIX (6) Interceptions. The 7th rounder has THREE (3) TDs and TWO (2) Ints. Can you imagine being the expected #2 QB on a storied team like GB and never actually making their team? Can you imagine getting significant playing time in the NFL in preseason and never throwing a TD?

Brohm 152 passes - 0 TDs - 6 INTs

Flynn 82 passes - 3 TDs - 2 INTs

Seems to me we got the wrong guy from GB. I know Flynn wasn't available but Brohm should have been thrown back.

Why does anyone think this guy is going to even make the team let alone be our savior?

The only thing that it might say is that Brohm wasn't quite as ready for the NFL when he was drafted in 2008 as was believed. The statistical argument about TDs and interceptions really doesn't hold much weight to me because, in the end, its a difference in the outcome of just four pass attempts.

I don't think Brohm has done anything to earn a starting job or anything (although I'll be honest, I don't think any of the Bills QBs *deserve* to start at this point), but I don't understand the hatred, either. I thought he played pretty well against the Colts. He seems to be a guy with a good arm and who shows signs of having a very good feel for anticipating coverage and gets the ball to his receiver on time. He looks like a pretty good developmental prospect to me and a guy with some starting potential if he continues improving.

I expect him to make the roster as the backup to Edwards with Brown as the #3.

3 seasons ago, GB knew they needed at least one QB. They drafted a can't miss kid by the name of Brian Brohm and a future growth QB by the name of Matt Flynn. But it seems even with injuries in preseason this Flynn kid outplayed the high profile pick of Brohm who was a high 2nd round pick. In 3 seasons in the NFL, the high profile can't miss kid has played in 10 preseason and rgular season games. This practice squad expected 7th rounder has played in parts of 11 preseason and regular season games. Several of them just to take a knee at the end protecting their #1 QB in GB. The high profile kid has been reelegated to the practice squad both seasons. So in 10 games the 2nd round drafted player has ZERO (0) TD's and SIX (6) Interceptions. The 7th rounder has THREE (3) TDs and TWO (2) Ints. Can you imagine being the expected #2 QB on a storied team like GB and never actually making their team? Can you imagine getting significant playing time in the NFL in preseason and never throwing a TD?

Seems to me we got the wrong guy from GB. I know Flynn wasn't available but Brohm should have been thrown back.

Why does anyone think this guy is going to even make the team let alone be our savior?

So what. Brett Favre was drafted by Atlanta in the 2nd round(33rd overall). He threw 5 passes for Atlanta, completed none and was intercepted twice.

Edited by BuffaloPride

So far this pre-season, Brohm 14/21 (66.7%) for 125 yards, 0 TD 0 INT, Flynn 19/35 (54.3%) for 199 yards, 0 TD 2 INT. Yeah, Flynn rocks!

With all that said, he is still better than Edwards. Man, what does that say about Edwards.

Edited by FreakPop

So what. Brett Favre was drafted by Atlanta in the 2nd round(33rd overall). He threw 5 passes for Atlanta, completed none and was intercepted twice.

What's your point? After his rookie year Favre was traded for a 1st round pick and played well enough in his 2nd season to take over the starting job in Green Bay. After his rookie year Brohm was waived, GB couldn't even trade him for a 7th round pick & he played poorly(the exact opposite of Favre's 2nd season) in the one game he was allowed to start. In fact, he played so bad that the coach at the time, Perry Fewell, couldn't wait to get Fitzpatrick back out there for the next game.

In fact, he played so bad that the coach at the time, Perry Fewell, couldn't wait to get Fitzpatrick back out there for the next game.

I guess that's one spin you can put on it. On the other hand, Brohm had been signed in the middle of the season (Nov.19th) and was forced to start due to injury on Dec.27th. I don't think anyone would argue that Brohm was properly prepared for that game given the circumstances, including Perry Fewell. In fact, he said as much:

Fewell contended that putting him on the field would be counterproductive. Brohm wouldn't be prepared and, therefore, his performance wouldn't suggest anything for the future.

"To put him in that position might be a recipe for failure for him," Fewell said Wednesday. "It might not give him the best opportunity. It might not show us what he really can do."

Link

So far this pre-season, Brohm 14/21 (66.7%) for 125 yards, 0 TD 0 INT, Flynn 19/35 (54.3%) for 199 yards, 0 TD 2 INT. Yeah, Flynn rocks!

That pretty much goes back to what I said earlier. There's just a handful of plays separating the two, and given more playing time, the numbers might look vastly different.

I'm not convinced that Brohm is ever going to amount to anything, but the hatred of the guy seems a bit misplaced. This week's game versus the Colts was the first time with the Bills that he's had the benefit of being properly prepared when he stepped onto the field for this team and the truth is, he played well. Not perfect by any means, nor am I arguing that he should be starting, but I've seen a hell of a lot worse out of Bills QBs over the last decade, including from the guy starting right now.

Edited by Brandon

For one he has the ability to read a defense.

Savior? Who is asking him to be a savior? As far as I can tell, most are asking him to be better than Fitz and/or Trent. The fact that he may not be as good (now or ever) than Flynn is quite irrelevant in the discussion.

What's your point? After his rookie year Favre was traded for a 1st round pick and played well enough in his 2nd season to take over the starting job in Green Bay. After his rookie year Brohm was waived, GB couldn't even trade him for a 7th round pick & he played poorly(the exact opposite of Favre's 2nd season) in the one game he was allowed to start. In fact, he played so bad that the coach at the time, Perry Fewell, couldn't wait to get Fitzpatrick back out there for the next game.

Favre took over the starting job after Majkowski got injured. And my point is I don't care what happened with Brohm in Green Bay. I'm only interested in what he does here.

Savior? Who is asking him to be a savior? As far as I can tell, most are asking him to be better than Fitz and/or Trent. The fact that he may not be as good (now or ever) than Flynn is quite irrelevant in the discussion.

I agree, it's not particularly relevant in the context of who's on our roster and who isn't. It is however relevant when trying to illustrate how certain teams or coaching staffs seem to have a true knack for finding - and grooming - quality QBs. Mike McCarthy definitely appears to be one of these coaches. Did you see Flynn last night vs the Seahawks? early on (when GB still had decent bodies on the line and at WR)I had to look twice to make sure Rodgers wasn't in the game anymore. The kid is now decisive, gets rid of the ball quickly, seems smart with the ball and has a great arm.

My honest first thought wasn't that he seemed better than Brohm, but that he was better than any QB on our roster. Part of that is talent, and part of it is coaching. Hopefully Coach Gailey can undo years of bad coaching Trent had to go through and perhaps his talent will finally come to the surface consistently.

Edited by cossack

You guys making comparisons between Brohm and Favre, arguably the greatest QB in the history of the game, are brain dead. Gimme a break, fellas, the guy is just trying to get started.....not compete with a hall of famer.

The thing that I don't understand about Green Bay was, Why do you draft a QB in the second rd in the first place when you had Aaron Rodgers there for three years behind Brett Favre. You seen Aaron in practice and during preseason games, You should know what kind Qb you have yet they still draft Qb in second rd.

The thing that I don't understand about Green Bay was, Why do you draft a QB in the second rd in the first place when you had Aaron Rodgers there for three years behind Brett Favre. You seen Aaron in practice and during preseason games, You should know what kind Qb you have yet they still draft Qb in second rd.

they didnt know for sure if rodgers was gonna be good, simple as that.