The most noticeable issue with our QB's

Got_Wood

Their footwork in the pocket, ability to extend a passing play, and keeping their eyes up field when they step up in the pocket. You can see it particularly with Edwards. If he's not given enough time on his initial drop back, he either takes the sack or tucks the ball and runs. It's a rare occurrence when Trent steps up in the pocket, keep his eyes on his receivers, and completes a 10-20 yard pass.

On Edwards pass to Evans, he had all day to sit there and watch Lee run down field and make that throw. It was a perfect pass, but he had all day to make it.

Watch Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning move int he pocket. It's amazing to see these guys work. They can keep a play alive just by shuffling forwards, backwards, or sideways all while keeping their eyes up field on the WR's.

There has to be a way to teach these guys (including Brohm) better pocket awareness and ability to escape the rush. This is the most glaring issue I see with our QB's.

Yep. I think the biggest hole in Trent's game is the ability to step up in the pocket and hit a 10-20 yard pass. It is something he has done very very rarely over the last couple seasons, and did not do last night either. His pass to Lee was beautiful, but there was no pressure or coverage. I mentioned before the game that I am hopeful and optimistic with Trent, but will not be fully on board until I see some 10-20 yard completions over the middle, and we did not see any of those last night.

Their footwork in the pocket, ability to extend a passing play, and keeping their eyes up field when they step up in the pocket. You can see it particularly with Edwards. If he's not given enough time on his initial drop back, he either takes the sack or tucks the ball and runs. It's a rare occurrence when Trent steps up in the pocket, keep his eyes on his receivers, and completes a 10-20 yard pass.

On Edwards pass to Evans, he had all day to sit there and watch Lee run down field and make that throw. It was a perfect pass, but he had all day to make it.

Watch Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning move int he pocket. It's amazing to see these guys work. They can keep a play alive just by shuffling forwards, backwards, or sideways all while keeping their eyes up field on the WR's.

There has to be a way to teach these guys (including Brohm) better pocket awareness and ability to escape the rush. This is the most glaring issue I see with our QB's.

Trent does not handle pressure well. Just like last week, he tends to freeze and if possible, dump it outside to avoid the sack. Both Brohm and Fitz are able to hit receivers in the midfield, between 5 and 25 yards, which Trent avoids at all costs.

Yep. I think the biggest hole in Trent's game is the ability to step up in the pocket and hit a 10-20 yard pass. It is something he has done very very rarely over the last couple seasons, and did not do last night either. His pass to Lee was beautiful, but there was no pressure or coverage. I mentioned before the game that I am hopeful and optimistic with Trent, but will not be fully on board until I see some 10-20 yard completions over the middle, and we did not see any of those last night.

Look again. At least on that play he stepped up to avoid the end coming around the right side before launching the ball.

Peyton's pocket presence will comparatively look better than just about any other QB's. It's a big reason why they have already reserved his spot in Canton.

Look again. At least on that play he stepped up to avoid the end coming around the right side before launching the ball.

Peyton's pocket presence will comparatively look better than just about any other QB's. It's a big reason why they have already reserved his spot in Canton.

While it's true that Peyton is one of the NFL greats, he is just one of many QB's I can name that have a great ability to extend plays. You could include Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Phil Rivers, Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, and Ben Roethlisberger. I've even seen flashes from young guys like Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and Mark sanchez. But those guys still have a lot to prove.

Bottom line, Trent needs to work on this part of his game.

Trent does not handle pressure well. Just like last week, he tends to freeze and if possible, dump it outside to avoid the sack. Both Brohm and Fitz are able to hit receivers in the midfield, between 5 and 25 yards, which Trent avoids at all costs.

Sorry brother, but if both Brohm and Ftiz could do that on a consistant basis they would be starting over Edwards and that is not the case.

There is no stepping up into a three step drop. Do you guys even watch the games?

Yeah, I watch the games pretty carefully. And when the defensive ends speed rush around the edge or bull rush to collapse the pocket, the QB needs to either step up or shuffle sideways to give himself space to make a throw. This is a big reason you don't see completions over 10 yards. These routes take time to develop. We're seeing mostly quick slants, dump offs to RBs, and fade routes that can be tossed up quickly after a 3 step drop.

Trent needs work on his footwork, and Brohm could use some help there too.

Yeah, I watch the games pretty carefully. And when the defensive ends speed rush around the edge or bull rush to collapse the pocket, the QB needs to either step up or shuffle sideways to give himself space to make a throw. This is a big reason you don't see completions over 10 yards. These routes take time to develop. We're seeing mostly quick slants, dump offs to RBs, and fade routes that can be tossed up quickly after a 3 step drop.

Trent needs work on his footwork, and Brohm could use some help there too.

You cannot step up in a 3 step drop. Period. Whine all you want you can't. There is no room. Manning can step up because he typically is shotgun or 5 step drop. Our QB's are primarily 3 stepping. It because the edge blockers suck and they want to throw quickly. But in a 3 step drop you cannot step up into the pocket.

I'm not sure you can teach a QB pocket awareness. Improve maybe.

No mater what you think of these guys or who are you are rooting for, all of them will probably get atleast one start in the regular season as they all have injury issues and inconsistent performance histories.

I'm telling you right now, Levi Brown will take snaps in a game

Take a look at this highlight video of the Bears vs. Raiders preseason game. Go to 1:25 in the video and watch what Cutler does. Yes I know it's a 5 step drop, but this is the kind of footwork I'm talking about. Cutler steps up and shuffles sideways to avoid the rush, all while keeping his eyes up field at his receivers. He ends up keeping the play alive long enough to hit a wide open Knoz in the endzone.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d819edf66/Raiders-vs-Bears-highlights

Edited by Got_Wood

I agree to an extent with what Got Wood says..... it's funny how when Brady was out for the year, Cassel's full season in NE.... he was sacked 47 times compared to Brady being sacked 21 the year before......Manning gets a lot of balls off but Curtis Painter gets drilled behind the same line...

[/quote.]

This is the only thing WGR's Jeremy White has been dead on about about and he said it early on last year. Unless everything goes right Edwards cannot make the play or extend the play. The first anything breaks down, there is pressure the target doesn't pop open like he does in practice you know Edwards is getting sacked or picked off

Sorry brother, but if both Brohm and Ftiz could do that on a consistant basis they would be starting over Edwards and that is not the case.

I think everyone is intrigued by Trent in training camp. He does have a good arm, and shows it off. But once the defense starts hassling him, he gets really nervous and screws up. I agree with you, I'm not sure who the answer is, but at least Brohm keeps the chains moving...barely.

Bring in Marangi!

I think everyone is intrigued by Trent in training camp. He does have a good arm, and shows it off. But once the defense starts hassling him, he gets really nervous and screws up. I agree with you, I'm not sure who the answer is, but at least Brohm keeps the chains moving...barely.

Bring in Marangi!

Actually, Trent does not have a good arm....I saw him warm up next to Losman many times, and he is 10-15 yards shy of Losman in terms of arm strength. That makes him sub average.....

The fact that Losman has an amazing arm doesn't mean that Trent doesn't have a good one. He has plenty of arm to be succesfull in the league, he needs to stay healthy and play with a lot more consistency.