still don't panic.

I think Chan deserves at least two years to see if he's even minimally competent, barring a 0-16/1-15 Cam Cameron style disaster. If they look absolutely clueless and uncoached, maybe the year could do him in, but if they just look like inferior talents who can't get the job done because they don't have the raw talent, that's not on a first year staff.

Honestly, I have reasonably decent expectations for Chan. I think he's got decent, above-average potential, if not a likely star. I still haven't been convinced by Nix, whose moves and non-moves have left me scratching my head. He's got a chance to show off Spiller now, and possibly as a starter into week one. I'm not giving a verdict for now, but I'm looking forward to seeing the evidence.

Spiller was definitely Chan's request. I doubt Nix would have picked him otherwise.

It's not Chan that I'm worried about, it's the lack of talent and the lack or caring from Buddy Nix.

I think Buddy cares, but I think he knows this isn't a one year fix. This will take at least three years to build if they are going to do it the way they originally claimed. Buddy clearly said he would build this team through the draft and a few middle of the road free agents. He never promised any big splashes in free agency. So if they do it right, it will take at least 3 years. If their draft picks don't pan out, the misery will continue. At least Buddy seems to be a good evaluator of talent, which is what the Bills will need to make this plan work. In any event, this year will be hard on Bills fans, in my opinion.

This is one of the few times I am not too pumped about the season. I don't expect much this year at all.

But if they show some toughness, run the ball well, play better run D than last year and not get embarrassed by the Pats twice and get 7 wins in the process they would be going in the right direction.

And I hope Brohm does well tonight and get the ball into the end zone. I still don't think Edwards is the one. If he does well and Chan names him the starter it would makes things much more interesting.

I don't think there's any chance in hell of this team winning 9 games this year. But even so, I think Chan needs more than one year to prove himself ... expecting him to win 9 games with this roster is asking for a miracle. Would you really want him fired if they win 6?

probably, unless he has a very solid plan for moving forward, and even then I'd have a tough time with keeping him with 6

7 or 8 I'd consider, based on what he did over the course of the season and if there was significant improvement.

Nine and he's in.

The second year I'd want the playoffs.

9 wins or out is a ridiculous ultimatum for any head coach in their first year

Agreed. And I don't like Chan (I'm a GT season ticket holder who wanted him out of GT as badly as I wanted Jauron out of Buffalo). But nine wins, given what he has to work with, is unrealistic. Heck, if he wins seven with this talent and transition I'd sign him to an extension!!!

That's right, don't panic, just sit back and drink your intergalactic gargle blaster and enjoy life. :thumbsup:

Yes but the effect of drinking one of these is rather like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon, wrapped around a large gold brick.

Nobody being brought in, this season is a wash. Chan and Buddy are going to see what they inherted this year and there going to start building from there. The only reason they put up this front is so ticket sales won't drop too much. About the only thing there looking to win is the overall #1 pick in the draft.

Nobody being brought in, this season is a wash. Chan and Buddy are going to see what they inherted this year and there going to start building from there. The only reason they put up this front is so ticket sales won't drop too much. About the only thing there looking to win is the overall #1 pick in the draft.

in this league with free agency and player mobility how on earth you give anyone a season "wash". Gailey and Nix inherited a team that had three consecutive 7-9 seasons and are about to set the record for consecutive years not going to the playoffs. If you hire a coach after a 7-9 record it doesn't seem all that unrealistic to expect a two game improvement and then another one or two game improvement.

Are you asserting that their personnel changes together with their new defensive scheme and failure to recognise the most glaring deficiencies have put them in a position where they are worse than last year and their talent level doesn't justify even a 7-9 season? And we would be supposed to be content with that?

Sorry...they knew what we had the day they took control and it was up to them to make decisions to make this a better team. It sounds as if everyone is conceding that this team is NOT as good as the one that finished last season.

I'm saying give them a chance to prove they are on the track by improving over last season..nine wins.

Not setting a goal is just accepting failure.

Yes but the effect of drinking one of these is rather like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon, wrapped around a large gold brick.

And you say this as if it is worse than panicking, or hell even worse than following this team. I'll take my chances.

I would still hold him to nine wins this season or he's out of here. He made some very gutsy non-decisions and has to play with the team and scheme he has developed instead of doing a lot of rather obvious things to help the team. I'm ready to give him a chance and willing to put up with a "development" kind of horror show pre-season...but at the end of this season it should be nine wins or out.

So if they win the last 4 games of the season to reach 8-8 you say fire him?

I have put forth a pretty low opinion of most of the moves of the new coach and gm. However they have done some gutsy things (although not addressing the real needs of this team in my humble opinion). They had a nightmare preseason opener. However...

There is a new defensive scheme with a lot of people untried and being tested in new positions. That takes time and lots of reps. I suspect we will see major improvement in the next few weeks on the defensive front.

The offensive weaknesses are showing. People will improve or there will be some new people brought in. I don't see Gailey putting up with the type of play we saw last week, and suspect he will engage in some major efforts to find talent to get us into the season if the existing crew doesn't perform. I'm still a believer that with a quality offensive line and another wide receiver perhaps one of our four qb's can perform.

for us the preseason is a lot more than a tune up for the regular season and we'll have growing pains with it as Gailey and Nix learn what they have and, better yet, assess what they need.

Who are you and what have you done with tennesseeboy?

...would this post be considered a +?

if chan wins nine games with this bunch this season i will give him a reach around whether he wants it or not

you and hossage both! :worthy: