Gailey's thoughts on Brohm's strengths

bfw1234

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and yet this amazing talent can't get to the top of the wretched refuse pile. What does that say about him?

er, um...to me? It says...

“All jobs are still open,” Gailey said when asked specifically about the starting QB job. ”There’s no job that’s locked in right now. There are some guys that are way ahead and there are some guys that are a little bit ahead. I’m not going to talk about specific positions right now, but all the jobs are open.”

Link - Gailey says QB competition still open (today, August 18, 2010)

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to outline Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.

“He’s very smart. He know where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball. He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue. He’s got good intelligence for football and understands defenses, which is part of playing quarterback, you’ve got to understand defense.”

Well, accuracy, and "not being Trent Edwards"...

“He’s not Trent Edwards," said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue--trying to be Trent. He cannot be Trent Edwards, which is part of being an NFL-caliber quarterback. You’ve got to not be Trent Edwards."

So, if Gailey really thinks that part of being an NFL-caliber QB is that, "You've got to not be Trent Edwards", then logic would dictate that Gailey does NOT think Edwards is an NFL-caliber QB, no?

We will see the last of Trent by the time this preseason is over. Trust me. On September 12th, the QB depth chart will read

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - #2 QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Clipboard

Trent Edwards - Marketing Intern, Synopsys / President, Dakota Fanning Fan Club - Los Gatos Chapter

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :thumbdown:

my point is when did the captain and fitz become paragons of accuracy?...actually TE is accurate in his check downs

And Fitz is accurate in getting the ball to hit the turf in front of his receivers.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/17/brohms-strengths/

Brohm’s strengths

Chris Brown

Posted August 17, 2010 – 6:33 am

Tags: 2010 preseason, Brian Brohm

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to outline Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.

He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue.

I interpret that to mean Gailey thinks he is erratic.

The funny thing about your ranting posts are that you call all these people Brohm lovers, manlove for Brohm, etc as if anyone is making any claims to his greatness. You and a couple other brash posters are the only ones making any proclamations about the kid and saying he is a bust before he gets a chance to show it on the field.

The NFL has countless stories of players who started slow in the NFL and developed into good to great players, including the reigning SB MVP Drew Brees. Brohm as a rookie didnt adjust quick enough to the speed of the NFL...so what, he was a ROOKIE. By his 2nd season Flynn was entrenched as the backup (and your opinnion absoultely does not matter about Flynn as GB, who sees him first hand daily, is really high on him) and GB chose not to carry 3 QB's. They gambled by putting him on the PS and LOST as we claimed him. They tried to save it, but in the end he chose us because we represented opportunity as GB had Rodgers entrenched as the guy of the future.

Its pretty stupid to make your mind up about a player before he has even had a chance to go out and show what he can do. Maybe he ends up stinking it up and being a bust, maybe he excels...no one knows, but to claim one or the other now is pretty foolish. A slow start for a rookie QB is not at all an indicator of what he can do with some develoment.

Man dawg, it doesn't get any clearer than what you just wrote. For some reason Albany's got his mind made up on Brohm and it does't appear any amount of common sense is going to change his thinking. So I guess all us "Brohm lovers" will have to endure more of these posts in the future. God help us all.

Brohm and Spiller got a fair amount of reps in today's afternoon practice and it would not surprise me to see a lot of them in Toronto Thursday night. In the end zone QB can drill only TE made the can, but none of the QBs looked really good.

As far as starting QB for the season, my prediction is TE will get the start and as soon as he falls apart or gets injured, Fitz will come in.

I hope you are wrong. If by some fluke Edwards does get to start in week 1 I hope he will play the whole season. I do not want to see another Jauron style QB carousel during the regular season. The Bills need to determine who the starter will be during these preseason games and then stick with it. I predict that Edwards will not be the front runner after this game. If Brohm puts up good numbers and Edwards has another poor performance it would be madness to keep Edwards as the #1 QB. week 3 of the preseason either fitz or brohm will start and Edwards will be the #3 QB. Just watch. That's assuming he does not get cut.

He also leads OTA's and camp thus far in interceptions... That is most likely why Gailey says he needs to work on continual accuracy and not just accuracy overall. When Brohm is off he is really off, when he's on target he's really on target.

Sry for the late response; but that is based on the highlight vids and reports by cb during the ota's.

Guest dog14787
Sry for the late response; but that is based on the highlight vids and reports by cb during the ota's.

Mind If I ask you what the tally's were for each QB (curious)

“He’s very smart. He know where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball. He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue. He’s got good intelligence for football and understands defenses, which is part of playing quarterback, you’ve got to understand defense.”

Well, accuracy, and "not being Trent Edwards"...

“He’s not Trent Edwards," said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue--trying to be Trent. He cannot be Trent Edwards, which is part of being an NFL-caliber quarterback. You’ve got to not be Trent Edwards."

So, if Gailey really thinks that part of being an NFL-caliber QB is that, "You've got to not be Trent Edwards", then logic would dictate that Gailey does NOT think Edwards is an NFL-caliber QB, no?

:lol:

Do you have a link to that quote?

Even if he really said that I'm sure you know that isn't the way he meant it. If he did, he would have a hard time justifying keeping Trent on the roster even one more day.

But I have to admit it's a very humorous quote. I'm hoping it is real.

:lol:

Do you have a link to that quote?

Even if he really said that I'm sure you know that isn't the way he meant it. If he did, he would have a hard time justifying keeping Trent on the roster even one more day.

But I have to admit it's a very humorous quote. I'm hoping it is real.

Sounds like something we read on TSW everyday. If you want to be good, you've got to NOT be Trent Edwards! :P

Man dawg, it doesn't get any clearer than what you just wrote. For some reason Albany's got his mind made up on Brohm and it does't appear any amount of common sense is going to change his thinking. So I guess all us "Brohm lovers" will have to endure more of these posts in the future. God help us all.

He's already FAILED in the NFL. You HOPE he won't FAIL in Buffalo. I'm using common sense-No QB ever drafted as high as Brohm has ever made it after getting cut on his rookie contract. You're ignoring history because you have some pipe dream that Chan Gailey will sprinkle some magic dust on him & he'll do something nobody else has ever done. Talk about a lack of common sense!

-No QB ever drafted as high as Brohm has ever made it after getting cut on his rookie contract.

But several have made it after being traded, not seeing the field for years, etc. Your argument is completely semantic. There are several QB who failed/had the team that drafted them give up on them...THAT'S the real issue here. You are trying to turn circumstances into an argument that he played and failed. The only FAIL here is your weak argument.

And simply because someone hasn't done something to date, doesn't make that thing un-doable. If Brohm succeeds will your argument deteriorate to "the only QB that was drafted in the 1st 10 picks of the 2nd round, that was cut...". It's really all nonsense.

You have yet to even attempt to explain why GB tried to sign him after the Bills made their offer.

But several have made it after being traded, not seeing the field for years, etc. Your argument is completely semantic. There are several QB who failed/had the team that drafted them give up on them...THAT'S the real issue here. You are trying to turn circumstances into an argument that he played and failed. The only FAIL here is your weak argument.

And simply because someone hasn't done something to date, doesn't make that thing un-doable. If Brohm succeeds will your argument deteriorate to "the only QB that was drafted in the 1st 10 picks of the 2nd round, that was cut...". It's really all nonsense.

You have yet to even attempt to explain why GB tried to sign him after the Bills made their offer.

They didn't want Brohm to go anywhere. They wanted to keep him. He decided to take the opportunity to compete in Buffalo, because (in his own words) he felt it gave him a much better situation where he could get on the field and play. (Not every QB is Billy Volek.)

Of course, you know all that, Deano... :lol: