Gailey's thoughts on Brohm's strengths

bfw1234

First, nobody is going to throw every single pass the exact same way. Second, you can still have a ton of air on a deep pass and still over throw a WR like he did Stevie...

Your argument (on this narrow point at least) still makes no sense. Johnson beat the coverage, and apparently Edwards' pass did not allow the cornerback to catch up to him. Edwards still got the ball out there (in fact, TOO FAR out there) no matter how much "air he put under the ball."

Either he didn't put too much air under the ball or maybe putting too much air under the ball is not a problem.

The "he puts too much air under the ball" is, in other words, as BS argument. You'd be better off just saying Edwards doesn't see open receivers, or misses them when he does see them.

Frankly, all this QB back and forth on the board makes me ill. There' absolutely nothing to be said that hasn't been said three hundred times over.

All I'm hoping to see is that one of the QBs seizes the starting job clearly and unequivocally. I don't care which one, and I'm not prepared to say which it ought to be.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stated many times already and will repeat that, on Sept. 12, the QB 'pecking order' will be...

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - #2 QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Clipboard

Trent Edwards - President - Dakota Fanning Fan Club, Los Gatos Chapter

Shows how genius you can be...that you think they would cut the #1 QB in favor of Fitzpatrick, who they are letting Brohm moved ahead of this week...and a 7th round project.

Yay...GO MIKE LEACH...best football ANALYST ever!

Excuses, excuses, excuses. NOBODY HIDES A PLAYER ONE YEAR REMOVED FROM THE 2ND ROUND OF THE NFL DRAFT ON A PRACTICE SQUAD BY WAIVING HIM 1st!!!!!! If Brohm had ANY potential someone would have picked the guy off of waivers, a few extra $ would not have stopped them if he had anything. By the end of preseason when CHAN GAILEY writes him off you'll realize how moronic your manlove for Brohm is.

I sure hope the Bills don't pick up Timmy Chang off some sandlot. His college stats will have the Brohm guys drooling.

The funny thing about your ranting posts are that you call all these people Brohm lovers, manlove for Brohm, etc as if anyone is making any claims to his greatness. You and a couple other brash posters are the only ones making any proclamations about the kid and saying he is a bust before he gets a chance to show it on the field.

The NFL has countless stories of players who started slow in the NFL and developed into good to great players, including the reigning SB MVP Drew Brees. Brohm as a rookie didnt adjust quick enough to the speed of the NFL...so what, he was a ROOKIE. By his 2nd season Flynn was entrenched as the backup (and your opinnion absoultely does not matter about Flynn as GB, who sees him first hand daily, is really high on him) and GB chose not to carry 3 QB's. They gambled by putting him on the PS and LOST as we claimed him. They tried to save it, but in the end he chose us because we represented opportunity as GB had Rodgers entrenched as the guy of the future.

Its pretty stupid to make your mind up about a player before he has even had a chance to go out and show what he can do. Maybe he ends up stinking it up and being a bust, maybe he excels...no one knows, but to claim one or the other now is pretty foolish. A slow start for a rookie QB is not at all an indicator of what he can do with some develoment.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. NOBODY HIDES A PLAYER ONE YEAR REMOVED FROM THE 2ND ROUND OF THE NFL DRAFT ON A PRACTICE SQUAD BY WAIVING HIM 1st!!!!!! If Brohm had ANY potential someone would have picked the guy off of waivers, a few extra $ would not have stopped them if he had anything. By the end of preseason when CHAN GAILEY writes him off you'll realize how moronic your manlove for Brohm is.

I sure hope the Bills don't pick up Timmy Chang off some sandlot. His college stats will have the Brohm guys drooling.

I don't understand your repeated vehemence against Brohm, before the fact. Isn't it better to wait and see? :D

Bravo camels toe and exactly why Brohm fans need to have some patients, Brian Brohm is coming along nicely, but the O-line is a work in progress.

Captain Check down/Glove wearing Mary has the quickest release mechanism in the NFL and by most accounts his brains have already been scrambled.

So let TE take on the woes and growing pains of the new offense,

Brian Brohm's time will probably come soon enough...

Here we go again.

First, there are very few Brohm 'fans.' Most of the lemmings are just people desperate for good QB play and sick of what we have seen so far. Brohm has shown *nothing* in the NFL to warrant any fans. Second, again, you say he's "coming along nicely" as if that statement has any merit and you've been watching him progress through his first few years in the league or even his last eight months with the team. Since neither are true I can only assume you've been taking the Chan Gailey soundbites like so many others and stretching them out further than they were meant for.

Brett Favre recent enough for you?

Brett Favre didn't flame out in Atlanta. It's not like GB demanded a 2nd round pick for Brohm; we got him for the league minimum (or close to it) giving up nothing in compensation. Apples and oranges.

Speaking of 'talking out of one's ass'...

The Green Bay Packers signed 2008 second-round pick QB Brian Brohm to their practice squad on Sunday.

A league source said one of the reasons why Brohm passed through waivers unclaimed was because he carried a partial base salary guarantee on his contract.

link

BTW, one of the reasons Brohm was placed on waivers/practice squad to begin with is that, for some strange reason, the Packers decided to go with only 2 QBs and carry 6 RBs that season. Clearly, the Packers wanted Brohm - they guaranteed part of his contract and then tried to match the Bills offer - and gambled big time trying to hide him on their practice squad because Rogers and Flynn had the #1 and #2 spots locked up.

By almost every scouting report, Brohm - who was a Heisman candidate and projected as the #1 overall pick by at least one scouting report in 2007 before opting to remain in college - is clearly the most promising QB prospect currently on the Bills roster. Ferchrissakes, let's see what the kid still has before writing him off just because GB's front office screwed up.

Give me a break, Senator. Talk about reaching. They "screwed up"? As if Ted Thompson can't sleep anymore because of the one he let get away. They "clearly wanted him"...as the #3 QB behind 7th rounder Flynn. Stop attaching false hopes to him due to a three year old college scouting report.

But kudos to Brohm for eschewing Green Bay's filthy lucre, and instead recognizing the opportunity that existed in Buffalo among the wretched refuse that is Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

...and yet this amazing talent can't get to the top of the wretched refuse pile. What does that say about him?

I think you are a bust if you have had a chance to play and have stunk up the joint. You aren't really a bust if you are drafted onto a team with other good/great players at the position and don't get a chance to play. They obviously weren't looking for Brohm to be the starting QB right away when they drafted him.

Sometimes you have to consider context.

Consider context all you want, but it's not like Kurt Warner being unable to get in front of Favre, Hasselbeck, and Detmer in Green Bay. Aside from Rodgers, Brohm's competition has been Matt Flynn, Fitz, and Edwards; hardly HoF caliber QB's. He's not a bust yet, but he's certainly on his way, and if he can't climb to the top of the scrapheap this year his career is pretty close to being over.

Your argument (on this narrow point at least) still makes no sense. Johnson beat the coverage, and apparently Edwards' pass did not allow the cornerback to catch up to him. Edwards still got the ball out there (in fact, TOO FAR out there) no matter how much "air he put under the ball."

Either he didn't put too much air under the ball or maybe putting too much air under the ball is not a problem.

The "he puts too much air under the ball" is, in other words, as BS argument. You'd be better off just saying Edwards doesn't see open receivers, or misses them when he does see them.

Frankly, all this QB back and forth on the board makes me ill. There' absolutely nothing to be said that hasn't been said three hundred times over.

All I'm hoping to see is that one of the QBs seizes the starting job clearly and unequivocally. I don't care which one, and I'm not prepared to say which it ought to be.

I hear what you are saying, but the fact remains Trent consistently puts too much air on the ball which allows the corner more time to make a play. Does that mean every throw with air on it is short or the DB will get to the ball? No. At the same time though, just because a ball has too much air on it does not mean it will always be short. You can still under throw, over throw, or hit a reciever in perfect stride on a pass with too much air on it, just depends on when you timed the throw and how hard you threw it.

Overall, putting that much air on a ball is a terrible way to pass in the NFL with the speed of defenses and will work against you more than it will work for you. Its also the hardest way to throw it accurately.

Either way, this is a silly point to be arguing as from what I gather we dont really have differing opinnions on Trents short comings.

I don't understand your repeated vehemence against Brohm, before the fact. Isn't it better to wait and see? :D

I agree with you as it is better to wait and see, but on this board stupid people make stupid comments about things they have no clue what they are talking about. That just happens to be most Trent supporters.

I hear what you are saying, but the fact remains Trent consistently puts too much air on the ball which allows the corner more time to make a play. Does that mean every throw with air on it is short or the DB will get to the ball? No. At the same time though, just because a ball has too much air on it does not mean it will always be short. You can still under throw, over throw, or hit a reciever in perfect stride on a pass with too much air on it, just depends on when you timed the throw and how hard you threw it.

Overall, putting that much air on a ball is a terrible way to pass in the NFL with the speed of defenses and will work against you more than it will work for you. Its also the hardest way to throw it accurately.

:D

Excellent post.

Apparently a vote for Brohm is akin to saying you want to see Trent dead. The Trent lovers take offense (no pun intended) to that.

Consider context all you want, but it's not like Kurt Warner being unable to get in front of Favre, Hasselbeck, and Detmer in Green Bay. Aside from Rodgers, Brohm's competition has been Matt Flynn, Fitz, and Edwards; hardly HoF caliber QB's. He's not a bust yet, but he's certainly on his way, and if he can't climb to the top of the scrapheap this year his career is pretty close to being over.

First of all, forget Edwards and Fitz for a moment. The Bills picked up BB late in the season last year. If he doesn't beat them out this year, then you have a point. As of now, he hasn't failed here...yet.

The Warner comparison is interesting, because GB tried to hide BB on the PS instead of outright cutting him (as they did Warner). Rogers is among the NFL's best and apparently they really liked what Flynn showed. Does this mean they didn't like BB at all? Or, perhaps they thought he needed a bit more seasoning. One thing is for sure, they tried to keep him once the Bills offered him a contract. If he sucked and they thought he was a bust, why make the offer?

I have no idea if BB has anything to offer. For the record, neither do you or Albany. The guy hasn't played enough for any of us to know for sure. He has been a victim of circumstance to some degree. But if Chan really is running an open competition, then we should get a chance to see how he compares to our "known quantities" in the next week or two.

Guest dog14787
Apparently a vote for Brohm is akin to saying you want to see Trent dead. The Trent lovers take offense (no pun intended) to that.

Nawww, I'm the biggest Holy Trent worshiper around and I still pull for Brian Brohm to do well also,

Apparently. :D

General comment on the thread:

As far as Brohm, saying he wasn't able to make the Packers regular roster last year doesn't mean that he is also the worst QB on the Bills roster this year. For one thing, it's relative. It's not hard to believe that the Packers have a couple QBs that are far better than anything in Buffalo. Secondly, football ability isn't a constant. Some QBs, say like Rich Gannon, are just late bloomers. It is possible that Brohm is going to be a late bloomer himself. It is also possible that he is the worst of the 3 vets on the Bills.

About all one can say for sure with this 3-way is that it just confirms, paraphrasing Madden, that the Bills have NO legit QB and leader on their offense.

Shows how genius you can be...that you think they would cut the #1 QB in favor of Fitzpatrick, who they are letting Brohm moved ahead of this week...and a 7th round project.

Yay...GO MIKE LEACH...best football ANALYST ever!

Are there people who don't get that this was just a preordained pecking order by Gailey? The rotation for the first two games of the preseason (Edwards then Fitz in game 1 and Edwards then Brohm in game 2) was decided on BEFORE game one's performances.

It is not performance based! If it was, it would be Edwards sitting.

Clearly, after game 1, Fitzpatrick is the lead horse in the QB race, even though he is not playing in game 2. He outplayed Edwards, as sane fans would have expected. We have not seen Brohm yet. If Brohm plays well Thursday, he could jump ahead of Fitz. Edwards would have to play really well to jump back ahead of Fitz after that first game's performance.

I expect game 3 will show more of an order of who is winning the competition. Whomever starts will probably be the front-running by then. I expect all three to play in that game, with probably Levi sitting out that game. Then Levi will get a big chunk of time at the end of game 4, probably the entire 2nd half.

Brohm and Spiller got a fair amount of reps in today's afternoon practice and it would not surprise me to see a lot of them in Toronto Thursday night. In the end zone QB can drill only TE made the can, but none of the QBs looked really good.

As far as starting QB for the season, my prediction is TE will get the start and as soon as he falls apart or gets injured, Fitz will come in.

Poster tempers seem more agitated in preseason - I guess it's pent-up venting since the end of season and angst about the draft picks.

I've had a fair amount of cow pies flung my way, and have tossed a number of them myself (IIRC, one of them spattered on you a while back, - sorry :D ).

Poster tempers seem higher in preseason - I guess it's pent-up venting since the end of season and angst about the draft picks.

I've had a fair amount of cow pies flung my way, and have tossed a number of them myself (IIRC, one of them spattered on you a while back, - sorry :rolleyes: ).

Nope, you missed me. :D

...and yet this amazing talent can't get to the top of the wretched refuse pile. What does that say about him?

er, um...to me? It says...

“All jobs are still open,” Gailey said when asked specifically about the starting QB job. ”There’s no job that’s locked in right now. There are some guys that are way ahead and there are some guys that are a little bit ahead. I’m not going to talk about specific positions right now, but all the jobs are open.”

Link - Gailey says QB competition still open (today, August 18, 2010)

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to outline Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.

“He’s very smart. He know where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball. He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue. He’s got good intelligence for football and understands defenses, which is part of playing quarterback, you’ve got to understand defense.”

Well, accuracy, and "not being Trent Edwards"...

“He’s not Trent Edwards," said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue--trying to be Trent. He cannot be Trent Edwards, which is part of being an NFL-caliber quarterback. You’ve got to not be Trent Edwards."

So, if Gailey really thinks that part of being an NFL-caliber QB is that, "You've got to not be Trent Edwards", then logic would dictate that Gailey does NOT think Edwards is an NFL-caliber QB, no?

We will see the last of Trent by the time this preseason is over. Trust me. On September 12th, the QB depth chart will read

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - #2 QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Clipboard

Trent Edwards - Marketing Intern, Synopsys / President, Dakota Fanning Fan Club - Los Gatos Chapter

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :thumbdown:

my point is when did the captain and fitz become paragons of accuracy?...actually TE is accurate in his check downs

And Fitz is accurate in getting the ball to hit the turf in front of his receivers.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/17/brohms-strengths/

Brohm’s strengths

Chris Brown

Posted August 17, 2010 – 6:33 am

Tags: 2010 preseason, Brian Brohm

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to outline Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.

He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue.

I interpret that to mean Gailey thinks he is erratic.

The funny thing about your ranting posts are that you call all these people Brohm lovers, manlove for Brohm, etc as if anyone is making any claims to his greatness. You and a couple other brash posters are the only ones making any proclamations about the kid and saying he is a bust before he gets a chance to show it on the field.

The NFL has countless stories of players who started slow in the NFL and developed into good to great players, including the reigning SB MVP Drew Brees. Brohm as a rookie didnt adjust quick enough to the speed of the NFL...so what, he was a ROOKIE. By his 2nd season Flynn was entrenched as the backup (and your opinnion absoultely does not matter about Flynn as GB, who sees him first hand daily, is really high on him) and GB chose not to carry 3 QB's. They gambled by putting him on the PS and LOST as we claimed him. They tried to save it, but in the end he chose us because we represented opportunity as GB had Rodgers entrenched as the guy of the future.

Its pretty stupid to make your mind up about a player before he has even had a chance to go out and show what he can do. Maybe he ends up stinking it up and being a bust, maybe he excels...no one knows, but to claim one or the other now is pretty foolish. A slow start for a rookie QB is not at all an indicator of what he can do with some develoment.

Man dawg, it doesn't get any clearer than what you just wrote. For some reason Albany's got his mind made up on Brohm and it does't appear any amount of common sense is going to change his thinking. So I guess all us "Brohm lovers" will have to endure more of these posts in the future. God help us all.

Brohm and Spiller got a fair amount of reps in today's afternoon practice and it would not surprise me to see a lot of them in Toronto Thursday night. In the end zone QB can drill only TE made the can, but none of the QBs looked really good.

As far as starting QB for the season, my prediction is TE will get the start and as soon as he falls apart or gets injured, Fitz will come in.

I hope you are wrong. If by some fluke Edwards does get to start in week 1 I hope he will play the whole season. I do not want to see another Jauron style QB carousel during the regular season. The Bills need to determine who the starter will be during these preseason games and then stick with it. I predict that Edwards will not be the front runner after this game. If Brohm puts up good numbers and Edwards has another poor performance it would be madness to keep Edwards as the #1 QB. week 3 of the preseason either fitz or brohm will start and Edwards will be the #3 QB. Just watch. That's assuming he does not get cut.

He also leads OTA's and camp thus far in interceptions... That is most likely why Gailey says he needs to work on continual accuracy and not just accuracy overall. When Brohm is off he is really off, when he's on target he's really on target.

Sry for the late response; but that is based on the highlight vids and reports by cb during the ota's.

Guest dog14787
Sry for the late response; but that is based on the highlight vids and reports by cb during the ota's.

Mind If I ask you what the tally's were for each QB (curious)

“He’s very smart. He know where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball. He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue. He’s got good intelligence for football and understands defenses, which is part of playing quarterback, you’ve got to understand defense.”

Well, accuracy, and "not being Trent Edwards"...

“He’s not Trent Edwards," said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue--trying to be Trent. He cannot be Trent Edwards, which is part of being an NFL-caliber quarterback. You’ve got to not be Trent Edwards."

So, if Gailey really thinks that part of being an NFL-caliber QB is that, "You've got to not be Trent Edwards", then logic would dictate that Gailey does NOT think Edwards is an NFL-caliber QB, no?

:lol:

Do you have a link to that quote?

Even if he really said that I'm sure you know that isn't the way he meant it. If he did, he would have a hard time justifying keeping Trent on the roster even one more day.

But I have to admit it's a very humorous quote. I'm hoping it is real.

:lol:

Do you have a link to that quote?

Even if he really said that I'm sure you know that isn't the way he meant it. If he did, he would have a hard time justifying keeping Trent on the roster even one more day.

But I have to admit it's a very humorous quote. I'm hoping it is real.

Sounds like something we read on TSW everyday. If you want to be good, you've got to NOT be Trent Edwards! :P

Man dawg, it doesn't get any clearer than what you just wrote. For some reason Albany's got his mind made up on Brohm and it does't appear any amount of common sense is going to change his thinking. So I guess all us "Brohm lovers" will have to endure more of these posts in the future. God help us all.

He's already FAILED in the NFL. You HOPE he won't FAIL in Buffalo. I'm using common sense-No QB ever drafted as high as Brohm has ever made it after getting cut on his rookie contract. You're ignoring history because you have some pipe dream that Chan Gailey will sprinkle some magic dust on him & he'll do something nobody else has ever done. Talk about a lack of common sense!

-No QB ever drafted as high as Brohm has ever made it after getting cut on his rookie contract.

But several have made it after being traded, not seeing the field for years, etc. Your argument is completely semantic. There are several QB who failed/had the team that drafted them give up on them...THAT'S the real issue here. You are trying to turn circumstances into an argument that he played and failed. The only FAIL here is your weak argument.

And simply because someone hasn't done something to date, doesn't make that thing un-doable. If Brohm succeeds will your argument deteriorate to "the only QB that was drafted in the 1st 10 picks of the 2nd round, that was cut...". It's really all nonsense.

You have yet to even attempt to explain why GB tried to sign him after the Bills made their offer.

But several have made it after being traded, not seeing the field for years, etc. Your argument is completely semantic. There are several QB who failed/had the team that drafted them give up on them...THAT'S the real issue here. You are trying to turn circumstances into an argument that he played and failed. The only FAIL here is your weak argument.

And simply because someone hasn't done something to date, doesn't make that thing un-doable. If Brohm succeeds will your argument deteriorate to "the only QB that was drafted in the 1st 10 picks of the 2nd round, that was cut...". It's really all nonsense.

You have yet to even attempt to explain why GB tried to sign him after the Bills made their offer.

They didn't want Brohm to go anywhere. They wanted to keep him. He decided to take the opportunity to compete in Buffalo, because (in his own words) he felt it gave him a much better situation where he could get on the field and play. (Not every QB is Billy Volek.)

Of course, you know all that, Deano... :lol: