Here's my Training Camp Report from Monday 8/9/10

Mike32282

Thank you, Michael.

Glad to hear that Chris Kelsay showed a glimpse of ball skills, especially seeing as he's still the presumed starter. He'll need to hone his linebacker skills. It's critical that he make the most of this crash course.

Glad also to hear about Antonio Coleman. I was very impressed with the YouTube stuff I saw. I'm still very surprised he wasn't drafted.

While on the subject of linebackers, it's interesting to note that the Bills plan on solving that riddle with some combination of undrafted free agents, veteran free agents, late round draft picks, and converted defensive ends.

No problem. I'm a little nervous about Kelsay. He's missed most of the first week of practice and I honestly didn't think he would make the team. That will probably chance now that he's out there making plays.

Coleman impressed me when we first picked him up. Our draft guru on BillsZone said that he was surprised he wasn't drafted and could be a big steal. He also said the same thing about Joique Bell, another player that I love.

It's interesting that they are putting the Linebackers together this way, but it makes some sense. They had several players that weren't good fits as DEs and fit better as OLB, they are now getting a chance as an OLB. I think chris Ellis is going to have a breakout season. Torbor fits because he has already played in Edwards' system before.

You are breaking away from the DarthIce influence. That is a positive step in your multi-step rehabilitation. Getting away from negative influences. Some people become invested in their opinions. Keep doing what you are doing: Observing with your eyes and mind open. LOL

ROFL! It took a while and I'm still not sold on Edwards, until he starts getting roughed up in a game...but so far, it looks like something clicked for him.

I agree 100%. That's why I feel the Bills will be a much improved team this year, compared to the 4 seasons under Jauron.

Exactly!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, Dick Jauron is nowhere near the worst coach we've ever had. I know. Sad but true.

Harvey Johnson presided over two separate 1 win seasons. Collier was a great coordinator but a horrible head coach. So was Hank Bullough. So was Kay Stephenson.

These guys were all clearly worse than Jauron, but most younger fans don't remember them. Those fans are lucky.

Quick training camp story. I was last at Bills camp when it was held in Fredonia in the mid 80s. Kay Stephenson was the head coach.

The players were out stretching and Kay was walking around taking it all in. This was on the practice field right in front of the fans.

Every time Kay would walk towards another part of the field, the players behind him would exclaim "If you don't want my apples, why are you shaking my tree?" This was apparently referencing some inside joke and/or some late night shenanigans that the players had recently enjoyed. They also kept yelling the name of a prominent female news anchor. These comments were followed by mass snickering by the players. This went on for the entire stretching session, about ten minutes.

It was a brazen sign of disrespect to the coach, done right in front of the fans. I knew right then that Kay Stephenson was destined to become a failure as an NFL Head Coach.

Yeah I have heard about those coaches, but Thank God I have never witnessed them. The Dick Jauron era and the Mike Mularkey era was enough for me.

Mike, thanks, as always. Are you seeing anything GLARING that would put Fitz as #2 ahead of Brohm? I really thought Brohm would emerge, at the very least, as the solid backup to Edwards. Is Fitz doing that well, or Brohm doing that poorly? Has Levi had any chances to show any talent?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

No. Actually I still say that Ryan Fitzpatrick should get cut. He's getting paid way too much to just be a backup and a crappy one at that. I also think that Brohm has gotten shafted with the "split" reps. One day, Fitzpatrick gets all the backup reps, Brian Brohm gets like 6-8 passes. The next day, Brohm gets the backup reps and Fitzy gets 10-12 passes. It's a joke, IMO. Levi Brown has had no chance to show what he can do. It's too hard to split the reps 4 ways, especially when they givet he starter as much reps as they are giving Edwards.

Great read, as always!

I didn't catch the response in the last update thread (if you responded).... in their two back formations, are they using two RB's or is a FB in there? And are the RB's blocking for each other, or are they splitting? (misdirection plays)

Thanks!

Awesome report!! What I like most about your reports is there is no fluff, like you get from Chris Brown. Your reports are very detailed and gives us a great description of what going on in camp. <_<:D

I thought Easley just landed on his leg wrong, and is now getting a 2nd opinion? Have you heard anything else with Easley?

Also, in your opinion, who do you think will be the Top 5 WR's to start the season? Thanks again!

Thanks for the compliments! I really appreciate it. I also have noticed that Chris Brown is starting to put in more and more highlights lately and some play by play. It looks like he realizes that people want to hear more details.

Haven't heard anything else on Easley, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's an injury where he starts the season on the PUP/injured list and is out for several weeks.

My receivers as of now...

1. Lee Evans

2. Steve Johnson

3. Roscoe Parrish

4. Chad Jackson

5. Marcus Easley (or if he's put on the injured list)....David Nelson

They might hold onto Hardy just for his potential and as a goal line/red zone threat. I'm not sure yet.

Great read, as always!

I didn't catch the response in the last update thread (if you responded).... in their two back formations, are they using two RB's or is a FB in there? And are the RB's blocking for each other, or are they splitting? (misdirection plays)

Thanks!

It's a little bit of everything. They use McIntyre a bunch of times where he levels someone to spring Lynch or Jackson. They've also had the two RBs both in the shotgun...sometimes blocking eachother and sometimes misdirection. I haven't seen wildcat yet. I'm wondering if that's for the private practices.

No. Actually I still say that Ryan Fitzpatrick should get cut. He's getting paid way too much to just be a backup and a crappy one at that. I also think that Brohm has gotten shafted with the "split" reps. One day, Fitzpatrick gets all the backup reps, Brian Brohm gets like 6-8 passes. The next day, Brohm gets the backup reps and Fitzy gets 10-12 passes. It's a joke, IMO. Levi Brown has had no chance to show what he can do. It's too hard to split the reps 4 ways, especially when they givet he starter as much reps as they are giving Edwards.

If Fitz is playing as bad as you say he may get cut after 1 or 2 preseason games to get Brohm more work.

Thanks Mike, great report as usual and very appreciated.

I do have a question. I know you are really busy keeping track of what's going on on the field so you can relay these great reports to us, but is there any chance you can give us a little insight to what Trent is doing when one of the other QB's take over?

I am not a big supporter of Trent, mainly because I don't think he has the stones to be a true NFL Quarterback. He might have the physical ability but the leadership skills and desire appear to have been lacking the last few years.

I am curious if he is talking to any of the linemen, receivers or any other players about what did or didn't happen when they were on the field. Is he looking over plays with the coaches or is he off in a corner somewhere by himself chewing on his nails?

Thanks and keep up the great reporting for all of us that can't make it to camp.

It's a little bit of everything. They use McIntyre a bunch of times where he levels someone to spring Lynch or Jackson. They've also had the two RBs both in the shotgun...sometimes blocking eachother and sometimes misdirection. I haven't seen wildcat yet. I'm wondering if that's for the private practices.

Thanks Mike!

I'd like to see Lynch get more use, but it sounds like if they are primarily using McIntyre with a RB in the backfield, then Jackson will probably see the bulk of the heavy carries.

I'm not sold on Wildcat yet... I think it depends heavily on the players involved vs being a viable system. How are Lynch and Jackson at blocking? I imagine Spiller is useless at it...

John Rauch

Thanks Nucci.

I'd just about expunged his memory from my mind as part of my recovery from post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Those were the dark ages, and probably had a strong effect on a lot of us.

Think about it. Sports crazy kids cheering for a team which always sucks.

Sadly the Bills have several generations of fans who have had this same experience at different times.

But I'm hoping this is the latest revival.

Thanks Nucci.

I'd just about expunged his memory from my mind as part of my recovery from post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Those were the dark ages, and probably had a strong effect on a lot of us.

Think about it. Sports crazy kids cheering for a team which always sucks.

Sadly the Bills have several generations of fans who have had this same experience at different times.

But I'm hoping this is the latest revival.

Sorry, but I still have nightmares from him walking the sidelines and using OJ as a decoy. Brilliant!!

Thanks, Mike. The only reason that I ask is that Chan Gailey's initial depth chart had Fitz as the #2 guy. It just caught me by surprise. I agree with you 100% that Fitz is the odd man out. Thanks again.

Mike,

What side has Coleman been playing? Strong, or weak? From what I understood, he's mostly a pass-rusher, so I'd assume weakside. How has he been vs the run?

and thanks for the report!

Thanks Mike, great report as usual and very appreciated.

I do have a question. I know you are really busy keeping track of what's going on on the field so you can relay these great reports to us, but is there any chance you can give us a little insight to what Trent is doing when one of the other QB's take over?

I am not a big supporter of Trent, mainly because I don't think he has the stones to be a true NFL Quarterback. He might have the physical ability but the leadership skills and desire appear to have been lacking the last few years.

I am curious if he is talking to any of the linemen, receivers or any other players about what did or didn't happen when they were on the field. Is he looking over plays with the coaches or is he off in a corner somewhere by himself chewing on his nails?

Thanks and keep up the great reporting for all of us that can't make it to camp.

I've seen him talking to players and coaches after plays, but I'm usually not paying attention. I'll have to do that. I know that he patted David Nelson on the back after he dropped a ball the other day...