Goose Gosselin's weekly NFL ranking

Beerball

Well, right or wrong, it was a welcome change from what everyone else is picking. Win or lose, I'm just hoping the Bills aren't as boring this year. Hopefully with Gailey's attitude they will at least be interesting and will play some tough football.

leonidas

He has the Bills ranked higher than I would have expected.

It's funny how pleased finishing 4th in the East and picking 11th or so would make some people. Not progress, but I guess new failure is still new. I'm of the opinion that Gailey ball may end up looking a lot like Jauron ball this year so those rankings wouldn't surprise me.

Wow! That is a shocker! Maybe Gailey is bringing some respect back to this organization.

Anyone paying attention has to see what Gailey is doing for the Bills. If Dick Jauron can win 6 or 7 games a season, I don't see how Chan Gailey would be worse. #20 is far more realistic than #31.

PTR

It's funny how pleased finishing 4th in the East and picking 11th or so would make some people. Not progress, but I guess new failure is still new. I'm of the opinion that Gailey ball may end up looking a lot like Jauron ball this year so those rankings wouldn't surprise me.

Don't count on that. The offense is not going to be "pop warner".

PTR

This is the best thing to ever come out of Dallas!!

I like people talking about how pitiful we are though...it will give it a "Major League" feel when we shove it up their asses.

Oh, but the Skins have McNabb and Shanny. The Lions also blew their wad of FA signings...there is no way we could ever be better than them.

Don't count on that. The offense is not going to be "pop warner".

PTR

I'm thinking more Steve Fairchild than Alex Van Pelt. Run it, run it, run it, pun it. Gailey is not impressed with his passing game and I think he'll be even less impressed when the pass rushers actually become real and Trent is putting the ball in the air to get running play type gains.

They don't have the personnel to run the defense they want, so in short order they will go back to catching instead of pitching. Contrary to what people are expecting of Gailey, he is a conservative coach by nature and he is very likely to take Jauron's approach and play not to lose when it becomes evident that his new schemes aren't well suited to the talent at hand.

The team is going to have to run the ball more than pass it, and in the modern NFL that translates to few points. I think the perception is that this defense is going to be all about pressure, but the players aren't there in the LB corps to create mismatches. In fact, quite the opposite. Their best LB is Poz and he struggled in the 3-4 as a senior at Penn State. That D is going to get conservative real fast, because you can't trade big plays and TD's for 3-6 running plays followed by a punt.

And I can't blame Gailey for that. It's one thing if you are Detroit with guys like Stafford at QB, Johnson at WR, Pettigrew at TE, etc.. You need to let those guys develop and that means playing aggressive offensive football. Buffalo has Trent Edwards and Lee Evans. Edwards is a limited talent with underlying health concerns and Evans is leaving his prime. Chances are, those guys won't be the keys to the next Bills playoff chase, so why risk failure by letting them control your coaching destiny.

I think people are going to be very surprised by just how much Gailey's style will be like Jauron's.

leonidas

He has the Bills ranked higher than I would have expected.

I'm surprise there is a journalist who actually does research. Saying a 6-10 team that lost only one 2 starters and was a fumble away from splitting the divison will be teh worst team in the NFL is just stupid. That's why, Gosselin is one of the best in the business. He actually knows football.

I think people are going to be very surprised by just how much Gailey's style will be like Jauron's.

Interesting read & quite logical. But I'm thinking Gailey is totally aware that Jauron style football doesn't work in today's NFL. It's obvious to me after reading Mike's (& others) camp reports that Gailey intends to utilize Parrish more. I was hoping that all the trade talk the past yr or so of Parrish was bogus...why?...cause I always thought Parrish wasn't utilized correctly & was a real playmaker...a keeper. Jauron just didn't know what to do with him. And now we have acquired another playmaker in Spiller. With those two guys on the field together, defenses will be skiddish. I look for more screens, play action passes, slants, hooks, & maybe some more reverses & gadget plays...in order to get the ball into the hands of Parrish & Spiller where they can get a few steps in the open. No, I don't think the 2010 Bills are gonna be stretching defenses, but I do believe Gailey will give us an exciting offense.

It's one thing if you are Detroit with guys like Stafford at QB, Johnson at WR, Pettigrew at TE, etc.. You need to let those guys develop and that means playing aggressive offensive football. Buffalo has Trent Edwards and Lee Evans. Edwards is a limited talent with underlying health concerns and Evans is leaving his prime. Chances are, those guys won't be the keys to the next Bills playoff chase, so why risk failure by letting them control your coaching destiny.

More great points. Detroit with all that fire power, average a whooping 0.3 points more than the Bills. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?off...mp;d-447263-p=1

And Evans had more touchdowns his first 3 years than Johnson has. But good points. :worthy:

More great points. Detroit with all that fire power, average a whooping 0.3 points more than the Bills. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?off...mp;d-447263-p=1

And Evans had more touchdowns his first 3 years than Johnson has. But good points. :P

Some teams are inclined to take their lumps and lose games in the name of improvement. Because they have confidence that the lessons learned will reap dividends in the future. Perhaps because they have a foundation of talent they believe in.

The Jauron Bills specialized in defeating those teams by playing ultra-conservative football and allowing the developing team to make mistakes and beat themselves. In Jauron's first year in Buffalo, the Bills defeated both Jax and GB by incorporating this style and taking advantage of a few mistakes. Jax and GB both finished with losing records, but the following year made their respective conference championship games while Buffalo repeated at 7-9.

The point is usually lost on you, but since you are checking the stats.....how many games did the HC you vehemently defended to the bitter end, Dick Jauron, have versus teams that finished the season with a winning record while he was in Buffalo? Numbers that overwhelming do not lie.

Yeah, and regarding Evans and Calvin Johnson......I don't think anyone but you would question that Johnson is the greater talent. He's about 7" taller, 40 pounds heavier and faster, better hands/ball skills. And he's also 5 years younger, which is the what is important. He has the potential to be on many good Detroit teams.

Evans will be 30 next offseason and that is a big number for a 5'10" speed only receiver. And chances are, he will have yet another new QB to throw him the ball. Maybe even a rookie. If I'm placing bets, Evans will not be with the Bills in 3 years, if he's even in the NFL.

Interesting read & quite logical. But I'm thinking Gailey is totally aware that Jauron style football doesn't work in today's NFL. It's obvious to me after reading Mike's (& others) camp reports that Gailey intends to utilize Parrish more. I was hoping that all the trade talk the past yr or so of Parrish was bogus...why?...cause I always thought Parrish wasn't utilized correctly & was a real playmaker...a keeper. Jauron just didn't know what to do with him. And now we have acquired another playmaker in Spiller. With those two guys on the field together, defenses will be skiddish. I look for more screens, play action passes, slants, hooks, & maybe some more reverses & gadget plays...in order to get the ball into the hands of Parrish & Spiller where they can get a few steps in the open. No, I don't think the 2010 Bills are gonna be stretching defenses, but I do believe Gailey will give us an exciting offense.

I don't understand the confidence people have in Parrish. He's a truly diminuitive target who gets destroyed by the slightest chuck at the LOS or physical coverage. And last year, he clearly showed that he had lost a step in the return game. That extra burst was gone.