Now That I Watched The Game Twice, A Review

Mark VI

1. Drew is the only QB in this roster. Zolman is fodder. DB took a couple sacks. Didn't really have a chance. Threw the ball well. Travis Brown reportedly tore his ACL. Gone. Feel sorry for him. Still, I never bought into this guy, despite all the friendly reports. Must find a backup QB immediately.

2. Willis " Half Speed " Magahee. For those yelling for trading Henry, please STFU. I actually thought how Simonton would have blown through some of those holes, let alone Henry. He is running on guts. Needs another year.

3. Marcus Sullivan - Please just cut him now. Just made no effort on a few plays. One got Bledsoe sacked and DB had to bail several other times, due to Sullivan.

4. OL - Showed ability to run block. Teague looks like a different player. Blocked very well. Someone posted said Lawrence Smith looked shaky. I kept watching the middle of the line and saw them doing well ??? I missed his supposed " bad play ". Mike Williams had one bad miss on a pass block assignment but played better. His run blocking was very good.

5. DL - Schobel was beating his man constantly in the 1st Quarter. Made 3 tackles in the backfield. Pat Williams was in the backfield several times. Adams plugged the middle. Kelsay needs to shed his blocks a little better. He'll learn.

6. LB's - missed a couple tackles early, then played better. Fletcher played well after missing his 1st tackle. Gildon did little to impress. Missed a few tackles. He's on the bubble.

7. J. Greer dropped an easy INT from Manning.

8. Kevin Thomas made a nice play on his TD- ball was tipped and he jumped into a pack of players to grab the ball and take off. He's played very well this summer.

9. Milloy broke his arm. Wire will probably start early on this season.

10. Izell Resse made some nice plays, especially coming up in run support.

11. Like some little things I saw from DT's Tim Anderson and Ron Edwards. I like our rotation in the middle.

12. Nate muffed a punt, then missed a punt return TD by inches. Last guy just tripped him. Darn.

13. Freddie Smith - fumbled twice returning kicks. Rhodes ran away from him on another long return. Bye-bye...

Conclusion - Sloppy game for both teams. Bills had many fodder types playing ST's on coverage. May explain the breakdowns. Last chance to show the Coaches something, etc..

Travis, Jennings, Marcus Price, McGee sat out. Their replacements didn't take advantage of the situation. ( Magahee,Sullivan,McFarland ( who was beat on the Brown injury), Greer.

Offense- The projected Starters have yet to play a game together. Seems someone is always being rested or hurt. Once the Line gets together and Henry is healthy, I'll feel better. Moulds dropped an easy one but so did Harrison. He looks sharp. Shaw made a nice grab. Josh Reed looks good. Run blocking is there.

Defense- Middle of the Line playing well. Schobel played excellent last night. Kelsay and Denney continue to rotate. Have played some very basic formations, showing little in the blitz dept. I remember a couple last night, with Fletcher coming up the middle.

Find a backup QB and just work on execution in the Lions game. Don't let Drew throw much. He looks fine. The line just needs to get reps. Get Henry healthy.

I'm hardly in panic mode. Reserved confidence but many good signs are there. The OL breakdowns were NOT the starters last night. Saw some good holes Henry or Simonton would have ripped through. Willis could not.

Nice review my friend. After last night's fiasco it's hard not to feel a little...well...you know, but there were some positives too.

Still, I hope it's not a long season of doing this every Sunday-->  :)

10709[/snapback]

Have you noticed How many times I've complimented #11 on his play ? He really is playing better. Sullivan almost got him killed last night but he survived. I give him his deserving props.

I agree with just about everything you state there Mark. Good observations. I do feel that Fast Freddie will get another chance because he's got good return skills AND very good receiving skills (good routes, touchdown catch). The two fumbles were pretty bad but his potential should atleast land him on the PS if he is cut. I also thought that Zolman played above and beyond what anyone could have expected from him. He might make a decent #3 under the current circumstances.

The linebackers were trying some new formations... Did anyone else notice? (I think Grey is ironing out some "New Look" Defensive schemes.) Which resulted in Spikes and London be out of potisition on a few of the draws plays. I can't tell you for sure when or how the Bills will use this new D Look... But I saw Spikes covering Marvin H... WOW :)

I really noticed this when the Colts had 3rd and short. (Where I think we can all say that the Bills are in Mid-season form) :)

So why do I keep hearing that Bledsoe had no time Mark?

Was it just because of Sullivan? Or was it the entire line?

10763[/snapback]

He was 11-19 with 2 dropped balls . Sullivan was brutal. Mike Williams got beat once. He did OK the rest of the night ( Williams) and his run blocking was very good. My concern was the middle of the line, coming into this season. Teague was terrible last year. McNally must have done something. He looks very effective so far. Our Guard play is decent ,with Smith and Chris V.

Watch for yourself. Don't go by what you've "heard ". The eyes don't lie. Other people do.

Thanks for the review Mark. I will not get to see the game until tonight on the NFL network.

Didn't Larry Smith have two holding penalties? I guess better giving up a sack, but those will kill us if he doesn't improve.

Also, I hear this morning on ESPN radio that Travis Brown's x-rays were negative for anything torn or broken. Anyone else hear this?

Well.

I don't live in Buffalo so I can't watch for myself but, I do have NFL Network so I will watch the game tonight and gather my own prespective.

But, coming from you.... it seems that Sullivan was the majority of the problem which lead to Bledsoe not having much time. Correct?

Well.

I don't live in Buffalo so I can't watch for myself but, I do have NFL Network so I will watch the game tonight and gather my own prespective.

But, coming from you.... it seems that Sullivan was the majority of the problem which lead to Bledsoe not having much time. Correct?

10774[/snapback]

Watch the left side of the line. Sullivan struggles and Indy keeps bringing a LB, in addition to the LE. Then McFarland comes in and plays just as bad. That's how Brown was hurt. The Bills big mistake was not having a FB/H-Back there to pick someone off. Bledsoe was a sitting duck on those plays. I hope the Coaches see that.

Also, watch some of the Magahee runs and tell me Henry couldn't have just burst through some of those gaping holes.

"Kelsay needs to shed his blocks a little better. He'll learn."

WTF?  How long does it take to learn this?  He's no rookie.

10775[/snapback]

I see no sarcasm button here, so I will assume that you are serious with this question. How long did it take Bruce Smith? Answer: Longer than one season!

How long did it take Phil Hanson? Answer: Longer than one season!

How long did it take Marcellus Wiley? Answer: Longer than 3 seasons!

How long has Kelsay been playing? Answer: 1 season!

"Kelsay needs to shed his blocks a little better. He'll learn."

WTF?  How long does it take to learn this?  He's no rookie.

10775[/snapback]

I thought he was held a lot, myself. His mistake was not forcing the play back inside. Instead, he tried some inside moves and was victimized by the RB sweep wide. Later, he did better shedding his block. The rotation with Denney will continue.

Jennings should've played last night, IMO.

And on what is this opinion based?

Do you have actual knowledge of the degree to which he is injured? You must, because how else could you now be questioning the wisdom of keeping him out of a preseason game so that he is, say, 100% for the regular season opener, rather than, say, less than 100%?