Buffalo rumblings studs and duds

Fingon

Love that site. Thanks for linking.

Buffalo Rumblings is my favorite site for Bills analysis. Only Brian's articles are good, IMO and the comments are as dumb, or dumber, that what you read here...without the humor!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wasnt aware second round picks were expected to start from their first practice?

actually im curious now -- who was the last qb taken say 50th or later (i know he was 48th) to start opening day... heck even say 30th or lower

Well Mr. Clausen was a can't-miss sure-fire franchise QB, wasn't he? The kind you have to start from day 1 because...well, he's a franchise QB! At least that's what everyone said before the draft. I suppose if the Bills did draft Clausen at #9 we'd all expect him to be the #3 QB behind Brohm and Edwards for a few years? Yeah, that would happen!

The fact that Clausen was drafted so low after all the hype he got doesn't change the fact that he was expected by the so-called "experts" to be a QB that could start day 1. The kind of QB the Bills were "stupid" to pass on.

PTR

Wow!!!! 42 posts about Troup, not a word about the other two "studs" on the list, Donte Whitner and Chad Jackson. I realize I am in the minority here, but I have always liked Whitner... I think he has played well at times, and I think he is a leader. This team needs guys like that. In a "real" defense (instead of that crappy Tampa-2 thingy...I am so glad we have moved on!) I think he is going to justify, somewhat, the early pick that Marv made him.

If Troup and Chad Jackson, or either for that matter, pan out, that would be huge for this team. They have been looking for a #2 receiver (or #1 depending about how you feel about Lee Evans) and interior D-line help for ever, it seems.

Well Mr. Clausen was a can't-miss sure-fire franchise QB, wasn't he? The kind you have to start from day 1 because...well, he's a franchise QB! At least that's what everyone said before the draft. I suppose if the Bills did draft Clausen at #9 we'd all expect him to be the #3 QB behind Brohm and Edwards for a few years? Yeah, that would happen!

The fact that Clausen was drafted so low after all the hype he got doesn't change the fact that he was expected by the so-called "experts" to be a QB that could start day 1. The kind of QB the Bills were "stupid" to pass on.

PTR

NoSaint left it wide open for this beauty of a post. Well said Promo.

Wow!!!! 42 posts about Troup, not a word about the other two "studs" on the list, Donte Whitner and Chad Jackson. I realize I am in the minority here, but I have always liked Whitner... I think he has played well at times, and I think he is a leader. This team needs guys like that. In a "real" defense (instead of that crappy Tampa-2 thingy...I am so glad we have moved on!) I think he is going to justify, somewhat, the early pick that Marv made him.

If Troup and Chad Jackson, or either for that matter, pan out, that would be huge for this team. They have been looking for a #2 receiver (or #1 depending about how you feel about Lee Evans) and interior D-line help for ever, it seems.

I like what I read about Troup and Whitner, but then again, I always thought the defense would be fine with the transition. It's the offense, specifically QB, LT, and #2 WR that I was worried mostly about. If Jackson can be the #2, or someone else, that's one less worry. But it may be moot if the other 2 positions aren't good.

PTR

Ive got a theory here and you can call me crazy but i think top 10 picks at qb get pushed into starting early because of two reasons....

1)money - self explanatory, paid more then brady or manning

2)teams picking in the top ten, that select a qb -- tend not to have a qb that can win more then 3-4 games anyway.

in carolina, at the 48 pick they have a qb they feel can give them a shot at the playoffs, and jimmy isnt making more then tom brady or peyton manning so they can let him learn slowly.

if picked by buffalo he could be a day one starter if he showed better then edwards, which many suspect he might be able to do from day 1.

comparing what would happen in buffalo at 9, with carolina at 48 is..... pointless? meaningless? apples to oranges.

the fact that hes splitting reps with a fellow rookie less then a week into camp, when neither is expected to start--- it seems a little premature to judge him as being on the verge of being released. if he came to buffalo at 9 and was splitting snaps with brown, behind our three stooges (hopefully edwards proves me wrong, i am hopeful honestly) i would be more concerned about his future.

i wonder what this post will "set me up for"