Offseason Strategy

Haplo848

I keep hearing this summer about how the Bills screwed up and kept failing to bring in people for perceived needs because the players we already had at those positions (i.e. QB, OT, WR #2) were unproven, inexperienced, etc. IMO, the Bills did that on purpose. It seems to me that Gailey, Nix, etc. wanted to see which of the young guys they inherited could play before trying to replace them, especially with guys they might have questions about anyways.

At OT, both Meredith and Bell were rookie starters last year, and neither had preparation to become a starter, especially with all the chaos, upheaval, and injuries going on. Now, with a chance to battle it out for the #1 LT spot, they'll at least be mentally prepared to be the starter, whichever winds up with it.

None of the QBs last year really had that much of a chance with so many changes and injuries on the line, a first-time OC who was promoted right before the season started, and lets not forget Dick Juaron coaching.

The WR #2 spot is still up for grabs between Hardy, Johnson, and possibly Jackson and Easley. If one or more of those guys step up and prove they can be a good WR in this league, then we are suddenly in business at WR with Evans on the other side and Parrish at the slot. We would suddenly have the potential to be a very dynamic offense.

Now, I'm not saying that any or all of these players will suddenly become pro-bowlers just because Gailey's the coach or because we want them to be, but what if even one of these guys can prove that they are a starter in the NFL? Then imagine if the FO had followed the advice of all the so-called experts and drafted for need, especially in the early rounds. Suddenly you have a high draft pick that can't beat out one of the guys we already have on the team, yet again, and the Bills are left with yet another wasted pick. If we bring in some old retread or stopgap to make people feel better, we would them hamper some of these young guys' development.

IMHO, it just seems like this offseason, Gailey and Co. just wanted figure out which guys we currently have actually belong on a football field, while at the same time laying the foundation for the 3-4 defense. I also might be completely wrong. Let me know what you think

I think without a doubt Gailey and company are evaluating the talent on the time. However, I don't believe they intentionally choose not to address there needs because they wanted to see what kind of talent they have. Or as you put in hamper the development of the young guys. I believe that is flawed logic and Gailey and company are too smart to fall into that type of thinking.

I think there are several reasons why positions weren't filled. One can only speculate as to why. My thinking is:

(1) they couldn't possibly address all the need areas in one year

(2) they didn't like the people that were available to pick up

(3) they were unable to make the move for a variety of reasons

(4) they are satisified with their current players or believe that the players they have will develop into fine players

(5) there is no urgency to win this year and that could have factored into their thinking

I am sure there are more. That's my take on the issue.

To some extent that could very well have been the hardest thing about taking over this team. There's a lot of young players that are very much question marks because they've all spent so much time on the injured list. Add to that they were playing in an inept system with, effectively, no coaching at all and it must have been hard to evaluate all but a handful of the players.

QB and LT, however, I don't think fit into that category. I still don't understand how they could have looked at those 2 positions and determined the guys on our roster were good enough. And, IMO, if this season spirals down the toilet, like so many people are predicting, it will be because of our QB and LT play.

To some extent that could very well have been the hardest thing about taking over this team. There's a lot of young players that are very much question marks because they've all spent so much time on the injured list. Add to that they were playing in an inept system with, effectively, no coaching at all and it must have been hard to evaluate all but a handful of the players.

QB and LT, however, I don't think fit into that category. I still don't understand how they could have looked at those 2 positions and determined the guys on our roster were good enough. And, IMO, if this season spirals down the toilet, like so many people are predicting, it will be because of our QB and LT play.

Dan that was a good post. I am extremely disappointed as well. However, I suppose some can say with some validity that some of the guys can step it up with a solid sysytem and solid coaching. Also, it has been said that the new regime didn't like any of the available QB and LT people who were available. I think there is a "kernal" of truth in the statement but overall, I agree with your assessment.

About the no coaching statement. I liked and still like Perry Fewel. I thought he did a solid job with what he had. I think he will do well with NYG.

I think without a doubt Gailey and company are evaluating the talent on the time. However, I don't believe they intentionally choose not to address there needs because they wanted to see what kind of talent they have. Or as you put in hamper the development of the young guys. I believe that is flawed logic and Gailey and company are too smart to fall into that type of thinking.

I think there are several reasons why positions weren't filled. One can only speculate as to why. My thinking is:

(4) they are satisified with their current players or believe that the players they have will develop into fine players

(5) there is no urgency to win this year and that could have factored into their thinking

I'm a bit dumbfounded......I'm agreeing with mpl. I think this is a TSW first! Hey Mpl....what's up with this?

To those who still question the QB logic, point number two in the list above holds true. No rookie after pick #1 was better than any guy on our roster now. Next year that maybe a different story.

Agreed. I actually liked the fact that they didn't go after a #2 WR. Johnson & Hardy have both shown serious potential, but they need PT. You have to play the young guys to find out whether they'll be good or not. But when it comes to promising but unproven young players, the cupboard is pretty bare at both QB and OT.

In hindsight, I kind of give them a pass on the QB issue. They went after McNabb, and they didn't like any QB as a franchise guy except for Bradford. It's unfortunate, because that just pushes our rebuilding back at least 1 more year, but if they really don't like a guy, they shouldn't draft him. Your QB is the face of your franchise, after all, so you should be prepared to give him your full support.

LT is a different story, though. I just can't understand how they could look at the film from last year and decide that Bell, Meredith, & Chambers put them in good enough shape to 1) sign no LT free agents, 2) trade for no LTs, 3) prioritize LT in the draft so low that they didn't take one before the 5th round.

Excellent post! I very much agree. Keep it up. :D

I think that it's important to remember that we have a new set of player evaluators in charge. New people with a new philosophy. No more mediocre to poor free agency signings at an inflated salary (hopefully). I REALLY won't miss John Guy. The draft day decision makers are also different with Nix in charge. Finally the SCOUTS have the final say as to who the best draftee is. It looks like this regime drafts the best available player more than the previous ones appeared to. I hope that they're right! Also that some of our young guys step up and develop into quality players.

At a minimum left tackle should have been addressed. I think it was foolish not to address the qb issue in free agency or trade since none of the contenders have shown any particular capability of starting for an NFL team. I think it was a little nutty to go to a 3-4 off the bat meaning the obvious loss of the DE's and retooling of fairly second rate DE's to linebacker status.

Are they going to charge us half price for 2010 tickets? I don't think so. You want to build a winning team? Start by learning to win. They could have moved to address the gaping holes, brought stability and won this year.

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: mpl6876.

· View this post

· Un-ignore mpl6876

I have you on ignore but couldn't help to see your post when Green Lightning replied to it.

Excellent post, for once.

I'll always favor coldly rational analysis over your usual "op-ed" approach.

At a minimum left tackle should have been addressed. I think it was foolish not to address the qb issue in free agency or trade since none of the contenders have shown any particular capability of starting for an NFL team. I think it was a little nutty to go to a 3-4 off the bat meaning the obvious loss of the DE's and retooling of fairly second rate DE's to linebacker status.

I'll yield that there was little available in free agency to select from at QB and LT. However, I get the sense they refused to seriously enter the trade market as well. It seems like they're unwilling to let go of draft picks no matter which round.

At the same time, reportedly Buffalo made a play for Donovan McNabb, who wanted to go to a contender with a proven HC. I did not hear what they were offering in trade to Philly, but I'm sure it wasn't more than a 2nd.

It seems they'd rather hang onto all of their picks. That's admirable, but it'll be a slower process. Still, I'd rather have had Jammal Brown and lost 2011's 4th than the group they're going with at OT this season. It's frightening that Bell, Green, and Meredith are the top 3 OT's on this team.

I'm a bit dumbfounded......I'm agreeing with mpl. I think this is a TSW first! Hey Mpl....what's up with this?

To those who still question the QB logic, point number two in the list above holds true. No rookie after pick #1 was better than any guy on our roster now. Next year that maybe a different story.

I disagree with the bolded text; because I think that Jimmy Clausen will turn out to be a better QB than Edwards, Fitzpatrick, or Brohm. But that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

But this might be the case where the team didn't want a "sort of" or "maybe" answer at QB. Their logic might have been as follows: "If we're going to invest significant resources in the QB position, we want to know that we're getting The Guy. Not 'sort of' The Guy. Not merely an upgrade over the scrubs we have now. We want The Guy. And if we can't have The Guy, then we want nothing at the QB position. No upgrade at all. Because if we can't get The Guy in this year's draft, we'll be drafting him the next year. No sense in burning a second or third round pick on a 'maybe' quarterback in the meantime."

At least, that's what I hope they were thinking!

I keep hearing this summer about how the Bills screwed up and kept failing to bring in people for perceived needs because the players we already had at those positions (i.e. QB, OT, WR #2) were unproven, inexperienced, etc. IMO, the Bills did that on purpose. It seems to me that Gailey, Nix, etc. wanted to see which of the young guys they inherited could play before trying to replace them, especially with guys they might have questions about anyways.

At OT, both Meredith and Bell were rookie starters last year, and neither had preparation to become a starter, especially with all the chaos, upheaval, and injuries going on. Now, with a chance to battle it out for the #1 LT spot, they'll at least be mentally prepared to be the starter, whichever winds up with it.

None of the QBs last year really had that much of a chance with so many changes and injuries on the line, a first-time OC who was promoted right before the season started, and lets not forget Dick Juaron coaching.

The WR #2 spot is still up for grabs between Hardy, Johnson, and possibly Jackson and Easley. If one or more of those guys step up and prove they can be a good WR in this league, then we are suddenly in business at WR with Evans on the other side and Parrish at the slot. We would suddenly have the potential to be a very dynamic offense.

Now, I'm not saying that any or all of these players will suddenly become pro-bowlers just because Gailey's the coach or because we want them to be, but what if even one of these guys can prove that they are a starter in the NFL? Then imagine if the FO had followed the advice of all the so-called experts and drafted for need, especially in the early rounds. Suddenly you have a high draft pick that can't beat out one of the guys we already have on the team, yet again, and the Bills are left with yet another wasted pick. If we bring in some old retread or stopgap to make people feel better, we would them hamper some of these young guys' development.

IMHO, it just seems like this offseason, Gailey and Co. just wanted figure out which guys we currently have actually belong on a football field, while at the same time laying the foundation for the 3-4 defense. I also might be completely wrong. Let me know what you think

Or maybe...just maybe...the LTs and QBs available at #9 were not worth picking. You know the word..."REACH!"

Yes, I know...EVERY draft year has at least 4-5 can't miss franchise QB's available. Like that Clausen kid who is tearing it up at Panthers camp...uh, change that...he's 3rd string behind a 7th round pick and a UDFA.

PTR

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: mpl6876.

· View this post

· Un-ignore mpl6876

I have you on ignore but couldn't help to see your post when Green Lightning replied to it.

Excellent post, for once.

I'll always favor coldly rational analysis over your usual "op-ed" approach.

:D