Poor Puppy

May Day 10

Whats more F'd up is the psychological damage the dog will likely endure for the rest of her life. I mean, the best part of this story is her surviving and someone stepping up to pay for her surgery. But whoever takes Daisy in will likely have to be very patient for a very long time.

We adopted an awesome dog this spring (mixed breed...likely some Beagle and Australian Shepherd among others). We were told that he was "neglected" but it was pretty clear he was abused. He is scared to death of people and the slightest noise sets him off. He has totally bonded with my wife, but while he clearly likes me too, he is still very wary of me and becomes easily shaken. He's scared of his leash (I'm thinking maybe he was beaten with a leash, belt, etc.) and he is petrified of the area right outside our house (strange because he loves our parents' houses and other places).

I'll be honest, it's been rough. I've never experienced having a dog who didn't always run up to me when I came home and wag his tail frantically. And I've never had a pet who is clearly scared of me. He is the sweetest dog and I can't imagine what someone did to him to make him so distrusting. It's sick, and like most forms of abuse, it's terrible that the damage is long-term. I think animal abuse laws should mirror child abuse laws. Take a baseball bat to a 4-year olds leg 10 times and see how many years you get.

Sorry for the mini-LAMP....here he is BTW:

Dewey

Dewey

Awesome pic! :doh:

Good for you guys for giving him a home. Couldn't agree more about the need for more severe animal cruelty laws. People who harm others for no reason can't be punished harshly enough to suit me.

I made it this far:

NIAGARA FALLS-A dog in Niagara Falls is in desperate need of surgery after being severely beaten

and had to stop reading. Now I feel sick and angry. The only "good" news is that with the press on this, the dog has a much better chance at finding a loving home.

Ugh, I feel sick. I need to go hug my dogs. :doh:

edit: and now i feel angry. I'd love to get the owner in a locked room with a baseball bat.

Whats more F'd up is the psychological damage the dog will likely endure for the rest of her life. I mean, the best part of this story is her surviving and someone stepping up to pay for her surgery. But whoever takes Daisy in will likely have to be very patient for a very long time.

We adopted an awesome dog this spring (mixed breed...likely some Beagle and Australian Shepherd among others). We were told that he was "neglected" but it was pretty clear he was abused. He is scared to death of people and the slightest noise sets him off. He has totally bonded with my wife, but while he clearly likes me too, he is still very wary of me and becomes easily shaken. He's scared of his leash (I'm thinking maybe he was beaten with a leash, belt, etc.) and he is petrified of the area right outside our house (strange because he loves our parents' houses and other places).

I'll be honest, it's been rough. I've never experienced having a dog who didn't always run up to me when I came home and wag his tail frantically. And I've never had a pet who is clearly scared of me. He is the sweetest dog and I can't imagine what someone did to him to make him so distrusting. It's sick, and like most forms of abuse, it's terrible that the damage is long-term. I think animal abuse laws should mirror child abuse laws. Take a baseball bat to a 4-year olds leg 10 times and see how many years you get.

Dewey

My brother and sis-in-law did the same thing, taking in an abused dog (lab/terrier mix, 9 months old. Previous owner left it locked in a shed, occasionally went out and threw it food and beat it). It took about three years for the dog to become well-adjusted enough to approximate normal doggie behavior.

Dewey

Good lookin' mutt! Kudos to you and your wife for giving him some love :D

I made it this far:

and had to stop reading. Now I feel sick and angry. The only "good" news is that with the press on this, the dog has a much better chance at finding a loving home.

Ugh, I feel sick. I need to go hug my dogs. :D

edit: and now i feel angry. I'd love to get the owner in a locked room with a baseball bat.

Based on some of the times I've read your posts in the past (Lost thread, etc) it seems like you and I are wired similarly when it comes to how we process things emotionally. It's amazing how much anger can well up inside when it comes to animal cruelty. I'm not a violent person at all, so sometimes it catches me off guard as to how strongly I feel hatred toward the abuser.

Based on some of the times I've read your posts in the past (Lost thread, etc) it seems like you and I are wired similarly when it comes to how we process things emotionally. It's amazing how much anger can well up inside when it comes to animal cruelty. I'm not a violent person at all, so sometimes it catches me off guard as to how strongly I feel hatred toward the abuser.

yeah dude, animal cruelty is up there with child abuse. someone much larger and stronger picking on a weaker than, just so they feel better about their pitiful existence.

speaking of our similarities... you need to make it to a Bills game with the ATL Bills Backers this year! at least to one of the big events like the Buffalo tailgate party...

yeah dude, animal cruelty is up there with child abuse. someone much larger and stronger picking on a weaker than, just so they feel better about their pitiful existence.

speaking of our similarities... you need to make it to a Bills game with the ATL Bills Backers this year! at least to one of the big events like the Buffalo tailgate party...

I would love that, man...I have the Bills backers all over my facebook acct now, so I should know where you guys are for each event...Pretty sure my schedule at work will continue to allow me off on Sundays, so hope to hang out with you all!

Dewey

Great dog! :lol:

You should be proud of yourselves for giving this doggy a good home. I'm guessing he was abused by a male and that's why he shies away from you more. The yard thing just might be too similar from where he came from. Give him time he'll come running when you come home eventually. :D

Ironic huh? He'll be getting it "doggy" style in prison.

Man, that's ruff.

My brother and sis-in-law did the same thing, taking in an abused dog (lab/terrier mix, 9 months old. Previous owner left it locked in a shed, occasionally went out and threw it food and beat it). It took about three years for the dog to become well-adjusted enough to approximate normal doggie behavior.

Yeah, I feel like we are in for a long ride. He's made incredible strides in some areas, yet absolutely none (even regression) in others. Now he is only 10 months old and we've had him for 3. What is strange is, the first day he came to our house, he bonded with me right away. He laid in my lap, came to me when I put my hand out and generally seemed ok. But within 72 hours, he was terrified of me. It probably took 5-6 weeks to get him back to that original comfort level. I think it's definitely a male thing as Steely said, but it is strange how his panic comes and goes.

Did your brother and SIL do anything extraordinary to try to help their dog get over his fear? Or did they just have to kind of wait it out until he found it on his own?

The vet we take him to has a animal psychologist who spent over and hour with my wife on her first trip there completely unsolicited. She gave lots of pointers and stuff, but nothing groundbreaking.

Yeah, I feel like we are in for a long ride. He's made incredible strides in some areas, yet absolutely none (even regression) in others. Now he is only 10 months old and we've had him for 3. What is strange is, the first day he came to our house, he bonded with me right away. He laid in my lap, came to me when I put my hand out and generally seemed ok. But within 72 hours, he was terrified of me. It probably took 5-6 weeks to get him back to that original comfort level. I think it's definitely a male thing as Steely said, but it is strange how his panic comes and goes.

Did your brother and SIL do anything extraordinary to try to help their dog get over his fear? Or did they just have to kind of wait it out until he found it on his own?

The vet we take him to has a animal psychologist who spent over and hour with my wife on her first trip there completely unsolicited. She gave lots of pointers and stuff, but nothing groundbreaking.

unfortunately there isnt really a short cut on this. it's going to be at least a couple years of consistently working with the dog and getting him to the point where he can feel safe and confident. and will probably have to continue throughout his entire life. even further, any little slip up can set the work back by weeks. what's even tougher with dogs like this is that you cant really discipline him when he does do something wrong, or else you are back at square one. house training and what not come later, right now, the only thing to be working on is his confidence and trust. just show him lots of love.

its a tough job, but you are definitely an amazing person for doing it. and it will be worth it in the long run.

best wishes to the entire family!

The best thing to do is give the dog tons of positive experiences outside your home. Take him places on weekends/after work where there are people. Start with quiet places with a couple of people and work your way to more boisterous activities.

Dewey

Do any of you watch the Dog Whisperer or Dogtown on National Geographic? They're great shows that show just how much time, work, and effort is required in rehabilitating dogs (and cats) that have been abused or neglected. It is NEVER a quick fix. I saw a case on Dog Whisperer that sounds nearly identical to your dog's. It took him one year of direct therapy (away from the owner) to get the dog into "normal" dog behavior.

unfortunately there isnt really a short cut on this. it's going to be at least a couple years of consistently working with the dog and getting him to the point where he can feel safe and confident. and will probably have to continue throughout his entire life. even further, any little slip up can set the work back by weeks. what's even tougher with dogs like this is that you cant really discipline him when he does do something wrong, or else you are back at square one. house training and what not come later, right now, the only thing to be working on is his confidence and trust. just show him lots of love.

its a tough job, but you are definitely an amazing person for doing it. and it will be worth it in the long run.

best wishes to the entire family!

Thanks!

You hit the nail on the head there with the discipline. We got him when he was 6-7 months so he was mostly housebroken. However, he has had several accidents since. One night I came upstairs to give him a tiny rawhide stick to chew on (size of a pencil). When I rounded the corner, I caught him peeing. Instinctively, I snapped the rawhide in my hand towards him and gave him a stern "NO." I didn't hit him with it, I just pointed it at him with a quick motion (kind of hard to describe with typing...I think you get the picture). Anyway, it set him off and he went flying under our bed. I was crushed. I felt so angry with myself but also discouraged because that was about a 2 outta 10 on the discipline scale.

And I hate to admit this, but I feel so jealous that he likes my wife so much. He is almost completely normal around her. Like I said, he bonded with me first and then just changed. It's selfish, I know...and I feel guilty about it. But he is making small steps all the time and that is what I try to keep on my mind.

The best thing to do is give the dog tons of positive experiences outside your home. Take him places on weekends/after work where there are people. Start with quiet places with a couple of people and work your way to more boisterous activities.

We do, and actually, it's because he likes it so much. We feel terrible about how he feels at our house. We have a townhouse, so there isn't a lot of backyard and something puts the fear of god into him when we walk him out in front of our house (suburb...dead end street...mostly quiet...nothing menacing). When he goes to the bathroom, he is visibly shook. He's constantly darting his head around. So he pretty much hates where we live it seems. :thumbsup:

But he loves our parents' homes. More land to run and he just comes out of his shell. Plus we take him to a nearby dog park very often and while he was a little wary at first, he is opening up more and more each time.

If you came across us with him at the dog park, you would think he was a normal, friendly dog, just a bit shy of people. But the instance we get him back, the 15 foot walk from the car to our front door turns him into a wreck. It's just so counter-intuitive that the place he is most familiar with (front of house and grass area) is the place he is scared of the most. Yet brand new places with new people and dogs get him maybe 1/10th as frightened.

But we love him and we're trying. When he comes out of his shell, he is a fun, playful, energetic little guy. I hope we get to see more of that side as time goes on.

They waited it out, basically. A lot of it depends on the dog's personality, I'm pretty sure; their dog bonded with my brother immediately and was almost completely trusting of him, and wanted nothing to do with my sister-in-law...until three years later when they were out hiking and my brother threw the dog into the river (I don't know why), at which point the dog basically said "!@#$ you, I'm with her now". That's actually when she started acting somewhat normal. The dog was scared of me for quite some time, though - she'd roll over and get completely submissive when I got near her, as though expecting me to beat her. But lots of separation anxiety, insecurity, fear in that dog for years...and I'm pretty sure she was an easy case because of her easygoing personality.

Personally, my experience is with cats (of our four, at least two were abused before we got them). Cats have more distinct personalities than dogs (just the way it is - cats are solitary, dogs are pack animals), but I can't imagine that rehabbing an abused dog is much less dependent on the dog's specific personality than it is for cats.

I adopted my dog Billie (see profile pic) when she was one, after having been abused as a puppy. She'll be 14 in a couple months. I'm proud to say we've given her a very happy life, but I still see signs of that old abuse in her personality. Giving her tons of love over the years has smoothed it out, but the skittishness never goes away completely.

Just look into that dog's eyes and think about what kind of sick !@#$ could want to cause her pain. Ridiculous!