Jared Gaither battles health problems

Last year Gaither battled foot and neck problems.

This year, he reported 29 pounds below his playing weight of last year, suffered another foot injury, and has had back pains.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...,0,979506.story

Great news! maybe they'll take only a 2nd rounder for him. Git'r dun, Buddy!

PTR

Where are all the people who screamed we should trade for Gaither? All I hear now is crickets.

PTR

I'm hearing them too! Anytime a guy drops 30 pounds you gotta wonder if he's "stopped" taking something and not just what's ailing him. Either way, what a nightmare it would have been if Buddy listened to all the hand wringers screaming for a Gaither trade.

Where are all the people who screamed we should trade for Gaither? All I hear now is crickets.

PTR

Guilty as charged. I wanted the Gaither trade to happen all the way. Not too proud to say ... I'm glad it didn't happen.

Let's see what his issue is before we write him off. You're talking about a very talented player who could solve our LT for the long-term, let's not be judgemental yet.

You're right, time will tell what the problem with Giather is, if there is any.

But you have to admit that the extremist fan view of trading now for A or B or forever be doomed is, to say the least, a simplistic view of things.

But you have to admit that the extremist fan view of trading now for A or B or forever be doomed is, to say the least, a simplistic view of things.

Agreed but he is proven commodity at the LT position, which is something we sorely lack.

Agreed but he is proven commodity at the LT position, which is something we sorely lack.

No doubt we lack a poven LT but I think the system and playcalling will help mask the deficiencies in the OL and QB. It's tall order I know but it can be done to a point of having positive results.

No doubt we lack a poven LT but I think the system and playcalling will help mask the deficiencies in the OL and QB. It's tall order I know but it can be done to a point of having positive results.

That won't get us to the playoffs, it will only put a bandage on a open vein. With the proper protection and the time to throw, Trent will do us just fine for now.

PTR

Guilty as charged. I wanted the Gaither trade to happen all the way. Not too proud to say ... I'm glad it didn't happen.

In fairness, no one could foresee the emergence of these medical problems.

Obviously the people who wanted to trade for Gaither made the assumption that he was relatively healthy, not relatively unhealthy.

So really, this recent turn of events shouldn't reflect on opinions that were held weeks ago.

PTR

I am one of those people. If Buddy/Bills FO didn't pull the trigger on Gaither because they knew he had serious health issues, kudos to them.

But it doesn't excuse entering 2010 with the tackles currently on the roster. This team doesn't even have two people you can pencil in at starter at tackle FFS. And the people competing are Meredith, Chambers, Bell...a parade of nobodies.

I like what Buddy and Chan are doing but this team's tackles are frightening.

I am one of those people. If Buddy/Bills FO didn't pull the trigger on Gaither because they knew he had serious health issues, kudos to them.

But it doesn't excuse entering 2010 with the tackles currently on the roster. This team doesn't even have two people you can pencil in at starter at tackle FFS. And the people competing are Meredith, Chambers, Bell...a parade of nobodies.

I like what Buddy and Chan are doing but this team's tackles are frightening.

Didn't you just answer your own question? Maybe, just maybe, all the available LTs had issues of some sort?

PTR

In fairness, no one could foresee the emergence of these medical problems.

Obviously the people who wanted to trade for Gaither made the assumption that he was relatively healthy, not relatively unhealthy.

So really, this recent turn of events shouldn't reflect on opinions that were held weeks ago.

Yes. making assumptions is what we do.

PTR