8/1 camp report

NY Nole

Here's a few observations from today's camp:

1. Aaron Maybin could very well be the biggest bust since Mike Williams. He looks like a friggin WR out there. I don't care how much muscle he has - he doesn't have any mass. He may be quick but I saw him getting thrown on his ass by our 2nd string lineman (who probably wouldn't make 4th string on any other team). Very disappointed in him and unless our coaches are planning to move him to safety I'd say he won't see much of the field this year either. Chris Ellis is ahead of him right now.

2. Our lb's appear to be a very weak unit overall. Granted Poz wasn't out there today but it isn't a good sign when Reggie Torbor looks like the best of our bunch out there. Danny Batten appears to be the next "high motor" white guy. He was all effort but I'm just not sure he will have a big impact. Aurthur Moats looks way to small to be an effective 34 inside backer and Mitchell wasn't even noticed. I think this is a real problem area.

3. Troupe looks like a potential find - though he appears a tad smaller (height) than i thought but looks damn powerful and appears to pack a wallop. Watched some of the line drills and he seems to be very capable of pluggin the middle. I thought Kyle Williams looked real sharp also and I think this could be a nice rotation.

4. Carrington seems pretty quick and i think he could be a nice changeup guy but he won't start anytime soon.

5. Kyle Calloway was the backup RT and he looks pretty good to me. He seems to have good leverage and finishes blocks. I'm not sure if he will see more action at guard or tackle but I think he looks decent at rt - and he's a pretty big guy. Wang (backup LT) has a ways to go. He doesn't handle speed real well and got beat on alot of rush drills.

6. Chad Simpson is really quick though I doubt he makes the team. Easely made a couple nice grabs but I don't think he's ready to contribute yet. Hardy made a bunch of catches with his body (bad) but did make a nice finger catch on a ball that was way low and should have been incomplete. He's up and down and I'm still waiting to see our no. 2 receiver - Johnson looked ok but we don't have a great wr corps overall. On the bright side Jonathan Stupar continues to impress with his catching abilities - now if he could only block.

7. I think we've finally found a good strength coach in Eric Cianio. He was working with Corto and really had him doing some interesting strength drills. There's just something about this guy I like and hope he pans out.

Finally our QB's really didn't impress me today. Fitzy had accuracy issues and Trent had numerous passes batted down as well as a pick that he lofted up for Easley. Brohm didn't stand out and Brown didn't really get much action.

It looks like a long year ahead but I understand it's early on in training camp. Here's hoping that our staff figures it all out before September.

thanks for the update!! Unfortunately it was not what I was hoping to hear.

"Finally our qbs really did impress me today. Ditzy had accuracy issues and Trent had numerous passes batted down as well as a pick that he lofted up for easley. Brohm didn't really get much action."

Is that a typo? Or did they impress you?

Aurthur moats looks way to small to be an effective 34 inside backer

He's right about the same size as Ray Lewis....nothing wrong with his physical size....are you saying he PLAYED like he was too small to be effective?

Hopefully we won't need him to be a factor this year anyway.

He's right about the same size as Ray Lewis....nothing wrong with his physical size....are you saying he PLAYED like he was too small to be effective?

Yeah, Moats is listed at 6'2" 250#, but at the combine he was actually a shade over 6' and 246#. Still, that's far from "small."

Apologies for my typos - the iphone isn't the best medium for posting on here :devil:

As for Moats - he looks MUCH smaller than Ray Lewis. I'd be surprised if he was really 250 lbs. At any rate - he was getting swallowed up by our line for most of the 9-9 drills.

Apologies for my typos - the iphone isn't the best medium for posting on here :devil:

As for Moats - he looks MUCH smaller than Ray Lewis. I'd be surprised if he was really 250 lbs. At any rate - he was getting swallowed up by our line for most of the 9-9 drills.

That's weird....maybe his weight is distributed differently? Does he have a huge arse? Is he a hunchback? lol

Oh well, I just hope the guy can contribute....I like this draft class, and we need at least a few of them to play well at this level.

Thanks for the update!

I hold out hope this team can go 8-8 this season but...

Im willing to bet anyone on this board $500 they dont win 6 games.

I mean, look at this report...its something out of a Stephen King novel. I know camp is just starting, but if this team is anywhere near what this guy is describing....this may be the worst football team of all time

I gave 6 games to keep in interesting, but I only see this team winning against Kansas City, because they're entire team, including their QB play is equally bad, and it could go either way.

1. Aaron Maybin could very well be the biggest bust since Mike Williams. He looks like a friggin WR out there. I don't care how much muscle he has - he doesn't have any mass. He may be quick but I saw him getting thrown on his ass by our 2nd string lineman (who probably wouldn't make 4th string on any other team). Very disappointed in him and unless our coaches are planning to move him to safety I'd say he won't see much of the field this year either. Chris Ellis is ahead of him right now.

I don't know what you were watching today. Maybin was shredding the LT's apart today. If anything I'd be really worried about Wang and Bell, they were god awful even in position drills. Wang needs to fix his stance and Bell actually false started in drills twice today that I saw.

2. Our lb's appear to be a very weak unit overall. Granted posluzny wasn't out there today but it isn't a good sign when Reggie torbor looks like the best of our bunch out there. Danny batten appears to be the next "high motor" white guy. He was all effort but I'm just not sure he will have a big impact. Aurthur moats looks way to small to be an effective 34 inside backer and Mitchell wasn't even noticed. I think this is a real problem area. don't disagree with you about being a weakness but today they did a lot of nickel D in drills when it came to 11v11.

3. Troupe looks like a potential good one he is a tad smaller than i thought but looks damn powerful and appears to pack a wallop. Watched some of the line drills and he stood out as having potential to plug the middle. I thought kyle Williams looked real sharp also though and I think this could be a nice rotation.

Agree on Williams, I didn't see much of Troup today

4. Carrington seems pretty quick and i think he could be a nice changeup guy but he won't start anytime soon. agreed

5. Kyle Calloway was the backup RT and he looks pretty good to me. He seems to have good leverage and finishes blocks. I'm not sure if he will see more action at guard or tackle but I think he looks decent at rt - and he's a pretty big guy. Wang has a ways to go doesn't handle speed real well and got beat on Alot of their rush drills.

agreed see my reply on your first point

6. Chad Simpson is really quick though doubt he makes the team. Easely made a couple nice grabs but I don't think he's ready to contribute. Hardy made a bunch of catches with his body (bad) but did make a nice finger catch on a ball that was way low and should have been incomplete. He's up and down and I'm still waiting to see our no. 2 receiver - Johnson looked ok but we don't have a great wr corps. On the bright side Jonathan Stupar continues to impress with his catching abilities - now if he could only block.

agreed, and Schoman made a couple nice grabs today as well

7. I think we've finally found a good strength coach in eric cianio.

He was working with corto and really had him doing some interesting strength drills. There's just something about this guy I like and hope he pans out.

Finally our qbs really didn't impress me today. Fitzy had accuracy issues and Trent had numerous passes batted down as well as a pick that he lofted up for easley. Brohm didn't really get much action.

It looks like a long year ahead but I understand it's early on in training camp. Here's hoping that our staff figures it all out before September.

mostly agree, but with Trent he put it up for Easley and Florence outplayed the rook. On that play, Trent trusted the receiver to make the play, which the rook couldn't do. Brohm and Fitz did a lot of position drills while Trent and Levi were with the team on 7v7 drills. Fitz threw very inconsistently with the D picking a couple of his throws. Brohm wasn't much better.

After practice broke, the QB's did some deep ball drills along a sideline to one receiver #86. All of the throws were accurate, but Fitz stood out as lobbing them much more than the others. I will agree with the assessment that Levi Brown has at least the 2nd best arm on the team.

Other things of note:

1. Cordaro Howard and Kyle Calloway rotated reps at first team RG in Wood's absence.
  2. Meredith looked the best at LT, as he kept Torbor and Maybin out of the QB's faces. I expect him to be a starter (either tackle spot imo) week 1.
  3. Maybe it is a little more low-key today in practice, but there was a lack of hitting on the run plays that made the LB's look awful. If this is the case expect the defense to be a different look and same results as last year (tough vs. pass, marshmellow soft vs. run)
  4. Talked with Whitner and Wilson after practice (and got signatures), they think very lowly of the Jets especially Sanchez. Wilson is hoping for more blitzing opportunities with the chance to double his career sack count to 7.
  5. Naaman Roosevelt was the only receiver, aside from Evans, to really make plays today. He made a really impressive rotating catch in air while being decked by the secondary. I was impressed to see him hang on to such a tough ball.
  6. Hardy showed a little more field awareness today while bailing out Levi Brown on what should have been a 5 yard out. Hardy ran back to catch the ball on the LOS with all hands and still managed to gain a few yards out of a bad throw.
  7. Joique Bell and Chad Simpson showed a lot to me in the individual drills. Do not be suprised if one of them makes the team if Lynch doesn't perform up to par in the preseason.

2. Our lb's appear to be a very weak unit overall. Granted Poz wasn't out there today but it isn't a good sign when Reggie Torbor looks like the best of our bunch out there. Danny Batten appears to be the next "high motor" white guy. He was all effort but I'm just not sure he will have a big impact. Aurthur Moats looks way to small to be an effective 34 inside backer and Mitchell wasn't even noticed. I think this is a real problem area.

3. Troupe looks like a potential find - though he appears a tad smaller (height) than i thought but looks damn powerful and appears to pack a wallop. Watched some of the line drills and he seems to be very capable of pluggin the middle. I thought Kyle Williams looked real sharp also and I think this could be a nice rotation.

4. Carrington seems pretty quick and i think he could be a nice changeup guy but he won't start anytime soon.

5. Kyle Calloway was the backup RT and he looks pretty good to me. He seems to have good leverage and finishes blocks. I'm not sure if he will see more action at guard or tackle but I think he looks decent at rt - and he's a pretty big guy. Wang (backup LT) has a ways to go. He doesn't handle speed real well and got beat on alot of rush drills.

6. Chad Simpson is really quick though I doubt he makes the team. Easely made a couple nice grabs but I don't think he's ready to contribute yet. Hardy made a bunch of catches with his body (bad) but did make a nice finger catch on a ball that was way low and should have been incomplete. He's up and down and I'm still waiting to see our no. 2 receiver - Johnson looked ok but we don't have a great wr corps overall. On the bright side Jonathan Stupar continues to impress with his catching abilities - now if he could only block.

7. I think we've finally found a good strength coach in Eric Cianio. He was working with Corto and really had him doing some interesting strength drills. There's just something about this guy I like and hope he pans out.

Finally our QB's really didn't impress me today. Fitzy had accuracy issues and Trent had numerous passes batted down as well as a pick that he lofted up for Easley. Brohm didn't stand out and Brown didn't really get much action.

An honest post...thank God!!!! If I read one more Maybin true believer account, I am gonna hurl. This man is his generations Erik Flowers....

An honest post...thank God!!!! If I read one more Maybin true believer account, I am gonna hurl. This man is his generations Erik Flowers....

Na it's true, Maybin is actually making strides. Watched him a lot today...When he gets a step on a guy it's over...he's developing some good rush moves. If they get a hold of him though it's over for him... That part may never change. Although there have been some pretty successful guys in the NFL that fell into that category. Maybin would have had 3 or 4 sacks today so he is atleast improving whil estill taking into account that our tackles aren't the greatest.

I mean, look at this report...its something out of a Stephen King novel. I know camp is just starting, but if this team is anywhere near what this guy is describing....this may be the worst football team of all time

I gave 6 games to keep in interesting, but I only see this team winning against Kansas City, because they're entire team, including their QB play is equally bad, and it could go either way.

Why 6 games? Why not lay $500 on them winning no more than two, since you so sure?

PTR

Other things of note:
  1. Cordaro Howard and Kyle Calloway rotated reps at first team RG in Wood's absence.
  2. Meredith looked the best at LT, as he kept Torbor and Maybin out of the QB's faces. I expect him to be a starter (either tackle spot imo) week 1.
  3. Maybe it is a little more low-key today in practice, but there was a lack of hitting on the run plays that made the LB's look awful. If this is the case expect the defense to be a different look and same results as last year (tough vs. pass, marshmellow soft vs. run)
  4. Talked with Whitner and Wilson after practice (and got signatures), they think very lowly of the Jets especially Sanchez. Wilson is hoping for more blitzing opportunities with the chance to double his career sack count to 7.
  5. Naaman Roosevelt was the only receiver, aside from Evans, to really make plays today. He made a really impressive rotating catch in air while being decked by the secondary. I was impressed to see him hang on to such a tough ball.
  6. Hardy showed a little more field awareness today while bailing out Levi Brown on what should have been a 5 yard out. Hardy ran back to catch the ball on the LOS with all hands and still managed to gain a few yards out of a bad throw.
  7. Joique Bell and Chad Simpson showed a lot to me in the individual drills. Do not be suprised if one of them makes the team if Lynch doesn't perform up to par in the preseason.

1.WTF is Cordaro Howard??

2. Keeping Maybin and Torbor off of your quaterback is about as difficult as keeping Betty White and my Aunt May off of your Quaterback. Kwame Harris would look all pro facing that talent.

1.WTF is Cordaro Howard??

2. Keeping Maybin and Torbor off of your quaterback is about as difficult as keeping Betty White and my Aunt May off of your Quaterback. Kwame Harris would look all pro facing that talent.

1. Undrafted rookie from Georgia Tech, Gailey and Alessandris know the guy, they recruited him.

2. "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude

I'll put a $100 on it. 5 or less, you win. 6 or more, I win. Deal?