Who Will Surprise (in a GOOD way)

This is a tough question. This roster has been absolutely littered with guys that have lots of talent on paper but have shown nothing due to coaching. Guys on defense like Maybin, McKelvin, and Whitner are ready to explode, especially Donte. On offense, you have every guy who has ever played O-line, tight ends, quarterback, oh hell, basically everyone. I'd like to see Edwards finally succeed. Lynch is much better than what he showed last year. Do we even have tight ends? IF they're utilized, they can be an asset.

There's so many players, I'm going to expand on PTR's though and go with the whole coaching staff. I think that we will finally all see this season that this is a professional football team rather than a bunch of disappointments and fuzzy memories of greatness.

Have to hold players accountable too.

I do agree coaching has been poor.

Just curious, who do you guys think will be surprisingly good this year. Here are a few guys I think are candidates:

Eric Wood - I think he's going to come back with a vengeance.

Steve Johnson - May end up our #2 receiver.

Reggie Corner - May end up our #2 cornerback.

Thoughts?

Corner is terrible. He is small, and doesn't have the quickness to play in the NFL. I think he gets cut. I agree with you on Wood and Johnson.

I know alot of you negative nancy arent gonna like this but i think chris kelsay is gonna surprise alot of bills fans this year at Strong side OLB, and he's gonna show that he is a lot more agile then people give him credit for.

Reggie torbor is gonna be used as a situation player and he will have a good year as well.

I wished that they would put Mitchell at OLB because he is an awesome blitzer but maybe they will continue to let him blitz from the inside

maybin, mckelvin, spiller, hardy, and Brohm

Out of all the posts, I hope your post is the one that is correct, becuase if Spiller, Hardy, McKelving, Brohm, and Maybin all do real well...then that means the team probably finishes well..maybe even .500 record or so. I have been predicting 5-11 based on my thoughts, but I hope I am wrong! Go Bills.

I think the biggest surprise is going to be M. Lynch. I think the beast mode comes back to his rookie form. I am not writing him off.

I have to disagree.

Lynch is one of the few whose past performance can't be blamed so much on poor schemes. I don't think Gailey's offense is suddenly going to make him hit the holes faster.

Lynch has great leg strength, and when he finds an opening and gets a head of steam, can carry defenders for plenty of extra yardage.

The problem is his initial hesitation upon getting the handoff. He does that "stop, with his legs spread wider than shoulder width, and look for the hole" move. His problem is quickness. He may be fast. He may be powerful. But he's not quick or shifty.

The NFL is too fast for that crap. While he's scoping out a lane to run in, defenders are converging.

Apart from that, outside of a season ending injury to Spiller, I don't expect much more than relief duty from Lynch. Jackson outplayed him (and has a better knack for finding the seems), and the Bills didn't draft Spiller with the 9th overall pick just to return kickoffs.

I still think when the right offer comes along, Lynch is out the door. No takers at the moment apparently, but he may be one torn ACL (from another team's running corp) away from being shipped out.

Besides that, he's kind of a jerk.

I have to disagree.

Lynch is one of the few whose past performance can't be blamed so much on poor schemes. I don't think Gailey's offense is suddenly going to make him hit the holes faster.

Lynch has great leg strength, and when he finds an opening and gets a head of steam, can carry defenders for plenty of extra yardage.

The problem is his initial hesitation upon getting the handoff. He does that "stop, with his legs spread wider than shoulder width, and look for the hole" move. His problem is quickness. He may be fast. He may be powerful. But he's not quick or shifty.

The NFL is too fast for that crap. While he's scoping out a lane to run in, defenders are converging.

Apart from that, outside of a season ending injury to Spiller, I don't expect much more than relief duty from Lynch. Jackson outplayed him (and has a better knack for finding the seems), and the Bills didn't draft Spiller with the 9th overall pick just to return kickoffs.

I still think when the right offer comes along, Lynch is out the door. No takers at the moment apparently, but he may be one torn ACL (from another team's running corp) away from being shipped out.

Besides that, he's kind of a jerk.

I love watching Lynch run. The guy is brutal. But, you're absolutely right. He hesitates and stutters rather than just go. Add to that; he decides to put on weight last year. WTF? Now, he's hesitant AND slower.

However, I think most, if not all, of his problems can be fixed with proper coaching. It's astounding how poorly coached this team has been. If he comes to camp at a better weight and actually gets coached, I think Lynch can have his best season yet.

Biggest Surprise: Edwards. (Note: This could be the biggest positive surprise or the biggest "holy s*&t he's awful"! surprise")

Biggest Disappointment: Spiller

If Edwards is a surprise it will be on account of Spiller being an all-purpose running and receiving weapon.

This is actually why I am excited so much for this season, because I think we have several players who have breakout potential this year. We already know our secondary and running game should be very strong too. In no particular order:

Individuals:

Brohm - I feel like he will win the job and if he does will surprise some people.

Nelson - Gailey will recognize his value to building our QB's up and will look to utilize his athleticism in passing game

Whitner - With him being better utilized and playing along side Byrd, I think he should have a pretty good season

Maybin - This defense is much better suited for him, needs to step up this year

Carrington - I liked him coming out and if Schobel doesnt come back officially should see some significant PT

Evans - If one of our QB's can come out and produce, I think Evans has a bounce back season in this new system.

Spiller - Wont be a surprise IMO, I actually think he could easily go for 1200+ combined yards rushing and recieving this year while splitting time with Freddie.

Units:

DL - I think our DL with Troup, Stroud, Williams and company have potential. Especially with such a good secondary.

Other WR's - (depends on QB play showing real improvement though) I like the potential of Steve, Easley, Roscoe, and Hardy. If the QB play can be at least solid, then with our dangerous rush attack I think one of these guys will see a lot of one on one and could breakout...which one remains to be seen.

Dark horse sleper:

OL - I know its viewed as a weak unit, but I like our young guys, especially Levitre and Wood. I think Wang and someone like Meredith or Bell could also surprise. This OL could be solid if they can gel and not be nagged by injuries. The coaching staff seems to have confidence in some of these young guys.

Maybe I am overly optimistic this year, but I actually think we have some good young talent on this team.

The KEY for me though will be if a QB can emerge. If not, then our whole team will struggle. Rush attack will suffer with a stacked box, obviously passing attack wont be good, and all of that would lead to our D being on the field constantly and wearing down as well.