The Benefits of being underrated, and why we are THE UNSEEN team in th

MClem06

Okay so all the negativity surrounding the Bills last year transferred over to this year and every sports writer other than those that work for the Bills have blasted our team about expectations being low. One point that will help us this season is that we really have not seen the whole entire team play when everyone is healthy. ESPN rated us 2nd to last. I say you can expect us, if we remain completely healthy, to go .50 at the least. We can finally get some experience behind our O-Line (even though we have not seen a full season from Bell or Meredith at LT) if we can keep from losing them to injuries ... just maybe they are much better of a line than what little we know of them as one unit. The fact that we had people drop like flies the past two seasons due to injury on offense and defense has made us look much worse than we actually are. I figure that we are being thrown to the trash by analysts because of the fact that this team is UNSEEN. When have we fully seen a healthy squad? Last I remember we were 6-0 at the start of the season in 08 then the plague hit and the QB went down along with everyone else.

That question mark as quarterback could actually work in our favor. Being underrated sets other teams expectations of us to be pushovers therefore they may not work as hard to gameplan or even play as hard when they play us. Chan seems to have QB's down to a science so if he gets more productivity off that position and we can stay healthy, why couldn't we make a run at the playoffs this year? (Being a bit too optimistic maybe)

Fact remains, no one has seen us at 100% health in years so maybe we aren't as horrible as the media has labeled us. I like our position this year, maybe because it can't get worse than being rated last or maybe because they have let us down so many times that it's made us all numb.

All the maybe's are what we should all hope for and stop bashing our own team and start bashing everyone elses. So I'll start with the bashing...If we go 0-6 at least we won't be Dolphin fans who disapear like a nuclear bomb went of in their stadium if their team shows any signs of being unsuccessful. Or Patriots fans that cheer for a team that cheats to win and are so cocky that one day they will have a losing record with Brady at the helm and realize he has finally arrived at washed up. Or Jets fans that have to spell out their team as their chant (probably in my opinion the stupidest and most annoying team fight song out there). Continue the bashing on this post and i hope you enjoyed the rant.

What the writers and other media pundits say couldn't me more immaterial to the Bills "flying under the radar."

What matters is that not one team on their schedule is going to take them lightly. Nobody flies under the radar in the NFL from the competition's standpoint.

Every team in the league is well-versed in the time-honored adage of "on any given Sunday."

Let the media members underestimate them all they want. Doesn't make a bit of difference to the players.

GO BILLS!!!

The '88 Bills also had Jim Kelly at QB.

..who was an unknown quantity at the time and the Bills were still picked to finish last.

To the pundits, Jim Kelly wasn't JIM KELLY! He was an unproven refugee from a defunct rival football league who played for a team devoid of talent. Funny thing about being good, nobody knows you are good until you start beating people.

PTR

We get a couple wins a year when a better team from outside the division comes to play us at home and find themselves in a game.

That is true, but doesn't it seem that the majority of the time that happens towards the beginning of the season, before they get in a losing funk?

..who was an unknown quantity at the time and the Bills were still picked to finish last.

PTR

I wouldn't say Kelly was an unknown quantity after what he did in the USFL and he had already shown in the NFL he could play. I would say moreso that the Talleys, Reeds, Taskers, Hulls, Thurmans, Ballards, etc. were more of an unknowns, the players that didn't come with all types of hype. That was a product of the great drafting by Polian and his crew, they hit on so many possible draft risks while he was here.

Flying under the radar may be an advantage. But a bigger advantage for us at least earlier in the season is that other teams will have no film on us. They'll have no idea what we're going to do on either side of the football. I see this as a part of the reason we will whip the Fish in the home opener. After a few games they'll have a better idea.

Go BILLs !!

Flying under the radar may be an advantage. But a bigger advantage for us at least earlier in the season is that other teams will have no film on us. They'll have no idea what we're going to do on either side of the football. I see this as a part of the reason we will whip the Fish in the home opener. After a few games they'll have a better idea.

Go BILLs !!

I've seen this written a few times but it makes no sense to me.

On offense we have the same QB's as we ended last season, two of which they can't fear throwing the ball, and Brohm came off a practice squad. We have two fewer starting good receivers than we had last season. We augmented a already strong backfield with a rookie skatback, and have essentially the same line to block for them. Gee could this mean lots of running and short pass routes? No mystery there.

On defense what's to know, we are switching to a 3-4. Where is the element of surprise there? How much or little we are going to blitz?

They already have a pretty good idea of what we are going to try and do. The only mystery is, will will be able to do any of it.

I have the strategy....listen up...

THROW THE FIRST FIVE GAMES!!!

The pundits say we'll be last, and we can lull the league by being really crappy the first five games and then just bust it open the remainder of the season, win the division, the league and then the superbowl.

Why didn't we think of this before!!!

To the pundits, Jim Kelly wasn't JIM KELLY! He was an unproven refugee from a defunct rival football league who played for a team devoid of talent. Funny thing about being good, nobody knows you are good until you start beating people.

PTR

Nice, but a bit revisionist. Kelly did show considerable promise in 86 & 87 (in the NFL). It's not true that he was an unknown at this point. Doubters existed, but he had already shown quite a bit as well.

Okay so all the negativity surrounding the Bills last year transferred over to this year and every sports writer other than those that work for the Bills have blasted our team about expectations being low. One point that will help us this season is that we really have not seen the whole entire team play when everyone is healthy. ESPN rated us 2nd to last. I say you can expect us, if we remain completely healthy, to go .50 at the least. We can finally get some experience behind our O-Line (even though we have not seen a full season from Bell or Meredith at LT) if we can keep from losing them to injuries ... just maybe they are much better of a line than what little we know of them as one unit. The fact that we had people drop like flies the past two seasons due to injury on offense and defense has made us look much worse than we actually are. I figure that we are being thrown to the trash by analysts because of the fact that this team is UNSEEN. When have we fully seen a healthy squad? Last I remember we were 6-0 at the start of the season in 08 then the plague hit and the QB went down along with everyone else.

That question mark as quarterback could actually work in our favor. Being underrated sets other teams expectations of us to be pushovers therefore they may not work as hard to gameplan or even play as hard when they play us. Chan seems to have QB's down to a science so if he gets more productivity off that position and we can stay healthy, why couldn't we make a run at the playoffs this year? (Being a bit too optimistic maybe)

Fact remains, no one has seen us at 100% health in years so maybe we aren't as horrible as the media has labeled us. I like our position this year, maybe because it can't get worse than being rated last or maybe because they have let us down so many times that it's made us all numb.

All the maybe's are what we should all hope for and stop bashing our own team and start bashing everyone elses. So I'll start with the bashing...If we go 0-6 at least we won't be Dolphin fans who disapear like a nuclear bomb went of in their stadium if their team shows any signs of being unsuccessful. Or Patriots fans that cheer for a team that cheats to win and are so cocky that one day they will have a losing record with Brady at the helm and realize he has finally arrived at washed up. Or Jets fans that have to spell out their team as their chant (probably in my opinion the stupidest and most annoying team fight song out there). Continue the bashing on this post and i hope you enjoyed the rant.

enjoyed ur post not tryin to be a nitpicker but we were 5 and 1 not 6 n 0

Go BILLs !!

You have the same point I was going to make....no one knows anything about us....sure they know about some of the players, but the scheme may be the difference between a good football player and a great one.

That's one of the beautiful things about the NFL.....you just never know.