Troy Smith More than a Backup

PDaDdy

I love it...this is a 5 page thread (not to mention the dozens of other threads on Troy) dedicated to a player that:

A) Will not be coming to Buffalo this offseason no matter how much Pdaddy wets himself over it...

and

B) Was a guy that had shown so little that the Ravens used a 1st round pick on a QB, and then this year he was cut for a washed up old QB who hasnt been good in years...I mean he couldnt show them enough to keep them from signing Bulger or cutting him despite being on a great team with great RB's, great WR's, good TE, and a really good OL.

I mean I dont know what thread is more priceless...this one or the other gem dedicated to comparing Trent to Drew Brees...

Now all we are missing is a thread by Southgeorgiabillsfan talking about how Trent Pwned the NFL so far...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the tone of Ed Reed's comments, I think he's responding to the (perceived) injustice of Troy Smith's demotion to third string status. Under those circumstances, we have to make allowances for at least the potential of a certain amount of hyperbole. This might be a case of a guy saying what he feels needs to be said to back up a friend; as opposed to (for example) a dispassionate analysis by a Polian-like GM concluding that Troy Smith really does have the potential to lead a team to a championship.

It's also worth noting that Donte Whitner had in the past expressed a very high degree of confidence in Trent Edwards. The lesson to be learned here is that just because one of your safeties thinks highly of a particular QB, doesn't necessarily mean you should be sold on that QB.

Donte was showing fake support in the teams starter. Ed Reed provided a comment about a guy that is languishing on the bench.

at the rate you're going, i'm starting to question whether the Bills should draft Locker next year, never mind make a move to trade for Smith.

jw

I will be the first to admit I don't know much about college ball at all. I only know a little as it relates to the draft. At some point there has to be some buzz on a guy before he is even on my radar. I am not too bad at all in calling mock drafts obviously as things get close to the draft. That being said I will probably change my choice for a 1st round QB 10 times before settling in on a guy. :rolleyes:

I love it...this is a 5 page thread (not to mention the dozens of other threads on Troy) dedicated to a player that:

A) Will not be coming to Buffalo this offseason no matter how much Pdaddy wets himself over it...

and

B) Was a guy that had shown so little that the Ravens used a 1st round pick on a QB, and then this year he was cut for a washed up old QB who hasnt been good in years...I mean he couldnt show them enough to keep them from signing Bulger or cutting him despite being on a great team with great RB's, great WR's, good TE, and a really good OL.

I mean I dont know what thread is more priceless...this one or the other gem dedicated to comparing Trent to Drew Brees...

Now all we are missing is a thread by Southgeorgiabillsfan talking about how Trent Pwned the NFL so far...

Yo BetaPuppy! Can you provide the link for when Troy was cut? You are less than useless because you spread misinformation to the masses. Why do you even post?

What is really funny is your statement about this being a 5 page post when it was YOUR REPLY ACTUALLY MADE IT A 6 PAGE POST! LOL...Oh the irony.

What you people can't seem to realize is that wanting Troy Smith has less to do with him being the next Peyton Manning and more to do with Trent and company SUCKING! Such advanced logic might be beyond you but the idea is to promote competition at the position. If you want I am pissing myself for a real challenger. REAL competition. As I have stated before owners/GMs can get locked in on the guy they think should be the starting QB and will do everything to try to make themselves look like they didn't back the wrong guy.

Ralph's good AFL buddy Al Davis is a PERFECT example. He lost a head coach and kicked Jeff Garcia out of town because he wanted to be proven right that Jamarcus Russell was a starting QB in the NFL. WRONG. He was a complete joke. Everyone knew it but Al. Why was Jeff Garcia run out of town? Because he was better than Russell. To give Russell every chance for success Al made sure there was nobody on the staff that presented a credible threat. It is entirely probable that that dynamic has been at work in Buffalo with the lack of any real competition to Trent.

I personally want success for my beloved team. Continuing to coddle Edwards and challenge him with straw man candidates is not the way to achieve it.

We do actually agree on one thing. The Trent Edwards vs Drew Brees thread is a complete and total joke. Looking at Drew Brees' numbers and trying to make an assessment about Trent Edwards future is dumb. They have so little in common it is laughable.

Ravens' secondary getting thinner by the day

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=4967

"Ravens DB Cary Williams has been suspended two games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

That certainly won't help Williams' chances of making the final roster. The Ravens' secondary was already tissue-paper thin with Ed Reed, Lardarius Webb, and Fabian Washington all questionable for the start of the season. The cause of Williams' suspension is not yet known."

Donte for Troy Smith...worth a shot and frees up cap money from Donte's contract.

Yo BetaPuppy! Can you provide the link for when Troy was cut? You are less than useless because you spread misinformation to the masses. Why do you even post?

What is really funny is your statement about this being a 5 page post when it was YOUR REPLY ACTUALLY MADE IT A 6 PAGE POST! LOL...Oh the irony.

What you people can't seem to realize is that wanting Troy Smith has less to do with him being the next Peyton Manning and more to do with Trent and company SUCKING! Such advanced logic might be beyond you but the idea is to promote competition at the position. If you want I am pissing myself for a real challenger. REAL competition. As I have stated before owners/GMs can get locked in on the guy they think should be the starting QB and will do everything to try to make themselves look like they didn't back the wrong guy.

Ralph's good AFL buddy Al Davis is a PERFECT example. He lost a head coach and kicked Jeff Garcia out of town because he wanted to be proven right that Jamarcus Russell was a starting QB in the NFL. WRONG. He was a complete joke. Everyone knew it but Al. Why was Jeff Garcia run out of town? Because he was better than Russell. To give Russell every chance for success Al made sure there was nobody on the staff that presented a credible threat. It is entirely probable that that dynamic has been at work in Buffalo with the lack of any real competition to Trent.

I personally want success for my beloved team. Continuing to coddle Edwards and challenge him with straw man candidates is not the way to achieve it.

One, he is so irrelevant that I could care less about him let alone know that he wasnt already cut. Last article I read said it looked like they were going to cut him, so I thought he was cut. Regardless, its a mute point, you are just drawing at straws to be right about something in this thread...the fact remains, they are replacing him as the back up QB with Bulger regardless if he stays on the roster, is traded, or cut. So the point is still completely the same which is:

They thought so little of him they spent a frist round draft pick on Flacco and then this year replaced him as the back up with a washed up Bulger...so even with all of that talent on that roster, he couldnt show them enough for them to feel comfortable with him filling in if Flacco got hurt...

And there is no indicator of what page my post will appear on, it was 5 pages when I responded...so another worthless point in an absolute pointless thread...

Ravens' secondary getting thinner by the day

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=4967

"Ravens DB Cary Williams has been suspended two games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

That certainly won't help Williams' chances of making the final roster. The Ravens' secondary was already tissue-paper thin with Ed Reed, Lardarius Webb, and Fabian Washington all questionable for the start of the season. The cause of Williams' suspension is not yet known."

Donte for Troy Smith...worth a shot and frees up cap money from Donte's contract.

Geezus, it just keeps getting worse...so now you want to trade our starting safety for a guy who possibly would not even make our roster and wouldnt have a shot of entering the season as our starter this late in the game...brilliant...especially since Troy could be had for next to nothing if we wanted him (which we dont)...

Geezus, it just keeps getting worse...so now you want to trade our starting safety for a guy who possibly would not even make our roster and wouldnt have a shot of entering the season as our starter this late in the game...brilliant...especially since Troy could be had for next to nothing if we wanted him (which we dont)...

Didn't know you were such a Donte Whitner fan.

Personally I think George Wilson is better and Byran Scott equally as effective. In my opinion it's basically something for nothing. We have 3 guys that could very easily play the SS spot. Donte was the highest round pick and would likely have the most trade value. You know where a player was drafted tends to stick with them unless they have an opportunity to just play lights out and impress the hell out of everyone.

You know, kind of like a 5th round project QB having a 1st round QB drafted entering his 2nd year in the league. What team wouldn't draft a QB in the 1st round with Flacco's potential when the best you have is a 2nd year 5th round project? Then perhaps the unexpected happened and Troy Smith actually developed.

I don't have to grasp at anything. I know when I'm right and I certainly don't need validation from others to confirm that. Admittedly I do get frustrated sometimes trying to prove a point when others don't get it. But hey in the grand scheme of life it means absolutely nothing. Hey, at least I tried.

Didn't know you were such a Donte Whitner fan.

Personally I think George Wilson is better and Byran Scott equally as effective. In my opinion it's basically something for nothing. We have 3 guys that could very easily play the SS spot. Donte was the highest round pick and would likely have the most trade value. You know where a player was drafted tends to stick with them unless they have an opportunity to just play lights out and impress the hell out of everyone.

You know, kind of like a 5th round project QB having a 1st round QB drafted entering his 2nd year in the league. What team wouldn't draft a QB in the 1st round with Flacco's potential when the best you have is a 2nd year 5th round project? Then perhaps the unexpected happened and Troy Smith actually developed.

I don't have to grasp at anything. I know when I'm right and I certainly don't need validation from others to confirm that. Admittedly I do get frustrated sometimes trying to prove a point when others don't get it. But hey in the grand scheme of life it means absolutely nothing. Hey, at least I tried.

you know that you are right? So you know more than the entire Ravens Staff? They drafted Flacco with Smith on the roster.

Sorry Smith isn't more than a backup. The Bills could be filled with a team of backups. What's one more am i right?

you know that you are right? So you know more than the entire Ravens Staff? They drafted Flacco with Smith on the roster.

Sorry Smith isn't more than a backup. The Bills could be filled with a team of backups. What's one more am i right?

Again what you fail to see is yes....currently Smith is a back up on the Ravens to Joe Flacco. If we assume that Flacco is better than Smith which I'm sure he is, what does that say about how he compares to the QBs in Buffalo? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Soooooo saying that he couldn't beat out Flacco and he could be miles and miles better than anything we have are not mutually exclusive statements. Get it?.....eh ...probably not.

Again what you fail to see is yes....currently Smith is a back up on the Ravens to Joe Flacco. If we assume that Flacco is better than Smith which I'm sure he is, what does that say about how he compares to the QBs in Buffalo? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Soooooo saying that he couldn't beat out Flacco and he could be miles and miles better than anything we have are not mutually exclusive statements. Get it?.....eh ...probably not.

Actually i don't get it. I don't understand everyone's facination with Addition by subtraction. Trading Donte Whitner the Bills starting SS for a backup QB doesn't make any sense. I really don't care for your personal feelings on Whitner. He is the starting SS. He was the starter under Jauron and is the starter under Gailey. Lets just say Whitner actually does suck and that the last two coaching staffs don't know squat. If the current coaches don't know squat what are they going to do with the franchise QB Troy Smith? Nothing.

I also don't understand how you can make the assumption that Troy Smith is better than anything on the current roster? he's played in two NFL games. His college highlights don't mean squat at this point. Troy is 6 feet tall with questionable arm strength and accuracy but yet you want him in Buffalo Wind and snow. Yes Troy's college highlight reel is somewhat impressive but he alot of his plays are on the ground running the option.

There are plenty of teams of that need a QB but yet they all skipped over Troy Smith. I wonder why that is.

Congrats on 6 pages.

Actually i don't get it. I don't understand everyone's facination with Addition by subtraction. Trading Donte Whitner the Bills starting SS for a backup QB doesn't make any sense. I really don't care for your personal feelings on Whitner. He is the starting SS. He was the starter under Jauron and is the starter under Gailey. Lets just say Whitner actually does suck and that the last two coaching staffs don't know squat. If the current coaches don't know squat what are they going to do with the franchise QB Troy Smith? Nothing.

I also don't understand how you can make the assumption that Troy Smith is better than anything on the current roster? he's played in two NFL games. His college highlights don't mean squat at this point. Troy is 6 feet tall with questionable arm strength and accuracy but yet you want him in Buffalo Wind and snow. Yes Troy's college highlight reel is somewhat impressive but he alot of his plays are on the ground running the option.

There are plenty of teams of that need a QB but yet they all skipped over Troy Smith. I wonder why that is.

Congrats on 6 pages.

I partially agree with your post. Obviously, the Bills would be foolish to give up anything of value for Troy Smith. I very much doubt that the Ravens' third string QB will turn out to be The Man.

But if you are going to trade away a player, why not trade away Whitner? Don't trade him away for Troy Smith--for obvious reasons--but maybe for a young player at some other position, or (ideally) for a draft pick. The Bills have an overabundance of talent at SS. As was pointed out, a guy like George Wilson or Scott could step in at SS and pick up where Whitner left off. For a while last season, Whitner was even benched in favor of Wilson. Whitner's contract won't last forever. Granted, we could always extend the guy. But instead, why not trade him away for something of value, if there's a team out there who values him? The dropoff in play at SS--if any--would be infinitesimal. Meanwhile, the trade could cause a significant upgrade at some other position. The only problem is that I doubt we could get much for Whitner in a trade.

Why did the Ravens just spend $3.5 million to pick up Bulger?

Straight answer please.

I partially agree with your post. Obviously, the Bills would be foolish to give up anything of value for Troy Smith. I very much doubt that the Ravens' third string QB will turn out to be The Man.

But if you are going to trade away a player, why not trade away Whitner? Don't trade him away for Troy Smith--for obvious reasons--but maybe for a young player at some other position, or (ideally) for a draft pick. The Bills have an overabundance of talent at SS. As was pointed out, a guy like George Wilson or Scott could step in at SS and pick up where Whitner left off. For a while last season, Whitner was even benched in favor of Wilson. Whitner's contract won't last forever. Granted, we could always extend the guy. But instead, why not trade him away for something of value, if there's a team out there who values him? The dropoff in play at SS--if any--would be infinitesimal. Meanwhile, the trade could cause a significant upgrade at some other position. The only problem is that I doubt we could get much for Whitner in a trade.

That was my point when I laughed had Pbabys trade idea of Whitner for Troy. Trading Whitner for a player of need would see the field significantly, like a certain OT the Ravens have explored trading would be a good move given our depth. Trading Whitner for a 3rd string QB who showed so little they brought a washed up vet like Bulger to be the backup is not only a stupid idea but would never happen.

• 3 weeks later...
Looked awesome tonight. Hurry up, send Baltimore a 1st rounder before one of the other 30 teams considers it!

B-):ph34r::D

No joke. he looked horrible tonight.

But really, this was a good thread in February or March. It's obvious now we're stuck with what we got. We could have had Bulger or Delhomme or Campbell or Clausen, but opted no. I wish we had brought in someone good, but we didn't. This might be a good thread to bring up again in February or March.

I am optimistic for the direction the team is going to be taking under Nix and Gailey but like any other realist I am deeply concerned about the LT and QB position. Our plan at LT is apparently to try to hit the lottery and turn another UDFA or 7th round pick into a probowl LT. Good luck with that. Really, good luck with that. I hope somebody steps up.

QB is even more or a gamble. I get that they want to give the guys they have a chance in a real system with real coaching but the cupboard looks pretty bare. Even if 1 of the three candidates can step up mentally I am not overly impressed with any of them physically. Brohm is probably the best thing we have from a physical perspective and might have the best of a group of mediocre arms.

That being said I just can't agree with Nix/Gailey about not bringing another to guy to compete at the QB position. I think we really screwed the pooch on Jason Campbell as he has already in an even worse situation in Washington outperformed the motley crue we have. Troy Smith is another guy that could come in to compete. What is the worst that could happen? He PROVES that he is better than the fodder we have. How could that be a bad thing? His team mates and seem to think that he is more than just a back up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ed-than-bulger/

I agree with your assessment that we need an LT and QB and I also hope that someone we currently have on the team steps up and fills either or both of those positions. I also doubt it'll happen.

I don't agree with the sentiment you express towrads the end of your post however. I think the way they looked at the QB situation was that if there was someone available that was amrkedly better than what we have, they'd go for him (like McNabb). When that wasn't an option, they figured that there was no sense in wasting a draft pick on a player that wasn't the long term answer. I don't think any of the 3 QBs we have now are the answer, but I also don't think eithe rof the two players you specifically mention are the answer either. What's the worst that could happen? Well how about the guy we trade for doesn't make the team? How about he makes the team and is terrible and we still have to draft a QB next year? If you think that these two guys are long shots to be so good as to you don't have to draft a QB in 2011, then you do it. Otherwise, it's just another TO signing.